Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jan 13, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #527 of 4,444
There are some which do advertise like that steelseries for example. Others advertise it and forget to mention you need another usb dongle.
Steelseries is a mega company, many, many times the size of Audeze, and likely spent an absurd amount of money to get rival companies on board. Things like that would be well outside the norm. It could also be that the size of their reach is appealing to both rival companies.

I'd think their influence likely far exceeds normal business practices.

We're still trying to carve our a miniscule piece in a juggernaut sized pie in comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #529 of 4,444
I find this to be a weird take when Xbox has more proprietary limitations than Sony Playstation, like needing a security chip and licensing.

Has not affected me as a gamer and I'm not even sure what you are saying actually has any negative effect on me, have not read about that in my readings on the console wars.

I will be having a better Audeze headset experience both thanks to XBox over Sony and Android over iOS due to Sony being proprietary with only letting their own headsets have certain features and apple being apple. Those are the things that are literally affecting me. Totally the opposite of a weird take.

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #531 of 4,444
All this being said, I'll be shocked if the Xbox version of Maxwell doesn't work on PS5 assuming its dongle has an Xbox/PC toggle switch. Every wireless headset I know of that uses a dongle for Xbox consoles (as opposed to dongle-less headsets that use Microsoft's built in WiFi Direct protocol as a connection) works on PS5 when their respective toggle switches are placed in to PC mode. The PS5 doesn't present as a proprietary device in any way as far as I know and the USB ports will accept all manner of audio device, which is why products like Penrose X and the Arctis 7X work on both platforms. It's also why you can plug something like Mobius in to a Sony console via USB and receive audio, but not on Xbox.

I could see there maybe being some functionality differences and I understand why the product doesn't get advertised as being cross-compatible, but I don't see how a different chipset being loaded on board Maxwell will suddenly make it entirely non-functional over on PS5.

Jan 13, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #532 of 4,444
Has not affected me as a gamer and I'm not even sure what you are saying actually has any negative effect on me, have not read about that in my readings on the console wars.

I will be having a better Audeze headset experience both thanks to XBox over Sony and Android over iOS due to Sony being proprietary with only letting their own headsets have certain features and apple being apple. Those are the things that are literally affecting me. Totally the opposite of a weird take.
Why will you be having a better experience? Is this because of Atmos?. Sony has its own which the Maxwell will be able to use. Unless there are some restrictions on tempest I haven't heard of.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #533 of 4,444

This isn't the place for console wars and you may well be just trolling...but you don't seem to understand what the word proprietary means.

Microsoft requires a headset to have a "proprietary" chip installed in it or it won't work on their console. Sony don't seem to require this. This is why the Xbox branded Maxwell will work on the PS5 (although it may not work if there's a firmware update that prevents this) whereas the Playstation branded Maxwell will not work on the Xbox.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #534 of 4,444
This isn't the place for console wars and you may well be just trolling...but you don't seem to understand what the word proprietary means.

Microsoft requires a headset to have a "proprietary" chip installed in it or it won't work on their console. Sony don't seem to require this. This is why the Xbox branded Maxwell will work on the PS5 (although it may not work if there's a firmware update that prevents this) whereas the Playstation branded Maxwell will not work on the Xbox.
No I'm pretty sure you don't understand what's going on. It's not really affecting me if there is a security chip required because it's there and it's going to work in the Maxwell. With the Sony I cannot change chat and game mix on a dial on the headset which I can on the Xbox version.

Sony is keeping that for themselves. Microsoft is letting it happen with a chip and The Maxwell is using it.

How does this affect me again? It means I got a feature that I like with the Xbox headset and not with the Sony.

It really seems pretty cut and dry but I figured I'd explain it.

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #535 of 4,444
Hi @Audeze,

There were several discussions on supporting Audeze HQ on Penrose. If I understand it correctly, either a LAM chip or BLE could do the trick.

Now, we have BLE support on Maxwell, right? If so, will there be Audeze HQ for Maxwell on iOS in the future update?

Best Regards.
We have made MFI approved products in the past (with Lightning cable) and have experience with the process. If you want to send proprietary data and control, it needs the Lightning Audio module (LAM) chipset or over BLE. Penrose does not have the LAM chip to do this.
They use BLE for app control and Bluetooth for audio.
9FDA580D-5F1D-4F9B-83BE-7DCE3D9DAD5F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #537 of 4,444
As far as I know, tempest 3d audio from sony works on any wired and wireless headphones, so it's honestly unclear, except for marketing and chat adjustment, why to make a separate version.

Idk, I think its pretty clear. The tuning isn't about tempest audio, but volume levels and the noise floor. I quoted Audeze's comments on page 32.

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #538 of 4,444
Idk, I think its pretty clear. The tuning isn't about tempest audio, but volume levels and the noise floor. I quoted Audeze's comments on page 32.

The question here is "Why not just produce one headset for both Xbox and PS5?"

Here are some possible answers I can think of:
  • The chip required for the Xbox version is expensive enough that they can get better margins on the PS5 version.
  • There is some sort of licensing agreement with the console makers that is tying their hands.
  • They think they can sell two headsets to some people who own both systems.
The PS5 tuning thing is probably just a software setting in the headset, even if they do give you a physical switch on the dongle to activate it. I'm sure they could give users the option to enable the PS5 tuning on Maxwell X if they wanted to. So this feels very much like a business decision rather than an engineering one.

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #539 of 4,444
The question here is "Why not just produce one headset for both Xbox and PS5?"

Here are some possible answers I can think of:
  • The chip required for the Xbox version is expensive enough that they can get better margins on the PS5 version.
  • There is some sort of licensing agreement with the console makers that is tying their hands.
  • They think they can sell two headsets to some people who own both systems.
The PS5 tuning thing is probably just a software setting in the headset, even if they do give you a physical switch on the dongle to activate it. I'm sure they could give users the option to enable the PS5 tuning on Maxwell X if they wanted to. So this feels very much like a business decision rather than an engineering one.
The audeze guy literally explained earlier that they aren’t a rich and big company like steel series and can’t do both like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back