Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Dec 30, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #331 of 4,444
Everyone, please refer to this page, before asking questions. It will keep redundant questions from being asked multiple times. It's also on the first page here, and the FAQ

You have been on forums long enough to know that most people are incapable of reading prior posts on the page they are asking their questing, let alone the first page or any page in between.

I do get your frustration in having to answer the same bloody question time after time because some muppet can't take some time to read prior posts, and simply believes the world revolves around them, but your replies can get rather aggressive at times. Do what I do, swear at the computer and call the user all sorts of names, then reply as though they are the special snow flakes they think they are. These types of people are simply impervious to suggestions that the forum they are asking questions on are actual resources they can use to help themselves.

Ok, all caught up on the last 21 pages.

Let me be added to those that had to cross the Maxwell of the buy list due to the removal of the concurrent USB Wireless and BT transmissions.
When I purchased the Penrose, it was a must have feature, while I ultimately had to return two sets of Penrose due to horrid connection issues (amongst many other issues you are well aware of), and move on from the brand, I did appreciate the audio quality and hoped that the Maxwell was a way to return. I replaced the Penrose with Corsair Wireless XT due to their duel BT and USB Wireless , and best in class mic. Every headset I considered had to have the BT and USB Wireless option. I do not use Discord, so using the future implantation into PS5 as a reason falls flat. I use it to listen to Podcasts, music, YouTube, WhatsApp conversations etc... on my phone or laptop while playing on my PS5.

I get you have to choose XY & Z as priorities when speccing to a cost and you felt this was no longer warranted, you can't please everyone, and unfortunately the world does not revolve around me.

One thing that would be good, is the FAQ be clearly linked to on the products web page, or have a Asterix that says these two audio streams can't exist at the same time, as all BT and USB Wireless headsets I saw marketed allowed for these dual transmissions, so yours will be the odd one out and will catch some users unaware.

Best of luck with the Maxwell, and I will keep an eye out for future models where this removed feature/function will return.

Dec 31, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #332 of 4,444
@Audeze
Well put, and agreed that taking away a key feature that existing brand users have become accustomed to is a retrograde step and will put many buyers off.

I also find it odd and wonder what implications this has for the Phone App functionality.

When I am gaming and connect my Penrose to the Android phone App to change Eq settings on the fly it says “Wireless and Bluetooth” whilst the game audio is still heard.

Will the on the fly adjustments via Phone App (whilst still receiving Game Audio) be available with Maxwell and will there still be Voice Cues to say you are connected to the Phone App ?

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #333 of 4,444
As long as there's a button to switch EQs and the headset stores a healthy # of EQs, that's fine for 95% of the community. Anything above that is a nice to have not a must have.

I'm getting a little worried about this myself. It's supposed to ship in a couple of weeks (December is basically over and we were told a January launch). If the firmware is in such bad shape today that an entire review would be pointless, then it makes me believe they're working through some catastrophic issues. If the firmware is 90% of what it will be, it seems silly to delay things any further. Consumers are used to needing to update firmware when they get a new electronic. Gamers are especially used to features being added to electronics via firmware. My PS5 didn't have 30% of the options it has today at launch. It's super common and doesn't stop us from enjoying the product as long as the core is there and the hardware works.
Yeah I am concerned about the firmware issue too.
I haven't preordered because I am waiting to hear reviews. If the reviews were to come back and say it was a decent noticeable improvement over the Penrose then I would jump on and pre-order it, but the fact that they aren't allowing reviews yet is a bit of a sticking point. The launch of the Penrose was a bit of a mess, particularly when they weren't clear on the "compatibility" with iOS for some time.
Just let reviews be released already. It will solve an abundance of our questions and help us decide whether to preorder or not.

Jan 1, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #335 of 4,444
I haven't preordered because I am waiting to hear reviews. If the reviews were to come back and say it was a decent noticeable improvement over the Penrose then I would jump on and pre-order it, but the fact that they aren't allowing reviews yet is a bit of a sticking point. The launch of the Penrose was a bit of a mess, particularly when they weren't clear on the "compatibility" with iOS for some time.
Just let reviews be released already. It will solve an abundance of our questions and help us decide whether to preorder or not.
Have they stated it’s in bad shape? I read they said it wasn’t finalised so a review makes no sense.

Jan 1, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #336 of 4,444
Have they stated it’s in bad shape? I read they said it wasn’t finalised so a review makes no sense.
But it implies that the firmware isn't good enough for a reliable review. It the firmware was in good enough state then it should be fine for reviews. At only possibly a couple of weeks out from release, you would expect the firmware to be good enough for a review.

Jan 1, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #337 of 4,444
But it implies that the firmware isn't good enough for a reliable review. It the firmware was in good enough state then it should be fine for reviews. At only possibly a couple of weeks out from release, you would expect the firmware to be good enough for a review.
To me it sounds like they are a bit behind on schedule regarding the firmware. Maybe it took longer than expected or they wanted to add something important in the last minute. Either way I don't see any reason to be worried. If they ship the items before the reviews, you could always send it back if you don't want it.

Jan 1, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #338 of 4,444

Most of the issues I had with Penrose were things that didn't get discussed much (or at all) in the pro reviews at the time of release, but instead came up once normal users got their hands on it. Pro reviews tend to focus on audio quality and features, whereas normal user impressions are better for usability issues, ergonomics, bugs, and less common use cases. For Penrose, that was things like wireless mic compression, lack of software controls on PC, whooshing sound in the left earcup, comfort issues with the headband and clamping force, wireless range, and volume balance with multiple sources. Some of those things were fixed or improved with post-launch firmware updates and some weren't.

Being realistic here, no matter how early reviews are released, there will be issues that only get discovered once these headsets are in the hands of a lot of people. Once again, I expect some will get fixed with post-release updates and some won't.

There were pretty strong incentives to preorder Penrose. There was a $50 early preorder discount, they were launching alongside the new consoles making demand high, and supply chain disruptions were causing huge, unpredictable delays for many products. With Maxwell, I don't see much reason to preorder if someone already has a working headset. If you end up having to wait an extra month or something, it's not the end of the world, and a reasonable price for the opportunity to make a fully informed buying decision. At least that's how I'm approaching it.

Jan 1, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #340 of 4,444
You mustn’t have been involved in the Penrose launch then, it wasn’t good by any measure.
I meant, no need to worry because if there are issues or not, you will find out after getting them and then you can return them. :p
Im on my 2nd pair of Mobius, first one broke after 10 months. And my current keeps turning off randomly once a week or so.

Jan 1, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #341 of 4,444
@Audeze

Hello, could you tell me what is the price of Audeze Maxwell XBox version in Spain?

On the official website of Audeze MAXWELL XBOX indicates a price of $329.
However, in online stores in my country it indicates a price of €400.

Could you tell me what is the official price of the MAXWELL XBOX version product in SPAIN.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #342 of 4,444
@Audeze

Hello, could you tell me what is the price of Audeze Maxwell XBox version in Spain?

Could you tell me what is the official price of the MAXWELL XBOX version product in SPAIN.

Thanks a lot.
Its really quite simple If you buy it from America there will be extra costs involved including taxes. However you won't incur those taxes buying from home only the normal in country taxes would be applied then and its usually built into the price. Also with regards to the prices in Spain well its always localised to the region with respect to prices. Assuming you buy from within Spain that is. I am in the UK and the Xbox version here is £359 which works out to about 404 euro.

Not necessarily I've seen this happen plenty and alot of the issues get fixed with a day 1 update. Now as to if this will happen here only time will tell.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #343 of 4,444
@Audeze

Thanks a lot.
I don't think there is an official price in Europe. Audeze has official resellers, but it seems that the resellers don't need to respect any MSRP.
The only place I've seen in Europe where prices for the Maxwell are similar to USA is LDLC:
Some European e-tailers such as LDLC are listing the Maxwell to be available "in 7-15 days" with the first day of availability being the 4th of January 2023. Which is probably not going to be that soon but they let you preorder, so that's what I did.

VFJtBJv.png

However, many hi-fi online stores in the EU are pricing the Maxwells at 359€ for the Playstation version and 399€ for the Xbox version. At Thomann the Maxwells for Playstation start at 398€, which is quite the price hike. So watch out for that too.

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #344 of 4,444
Seems like the most competative price in europe is in france, about 5 different stores offering 299 euro ps and 329 for xbox. Add maybe max 20 euro for delivery, pretty good for europe. I preordered from another place tho because they had pay by card on delivery which seems like a smart way to secure preorder but also not pay anything until i actually get it and hear reviews first also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back