Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Dec 25, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #271 of 4,456
Nobody even suggested that I have to understand it. This is a public forum I was stating what I thought concerning your post. I understand that you want to buy an audeze But you'd be better servers with a decent wired and use the Maxwell for Wireless. From what I remember from reading the best quality audio comes through Usb too are you going to utilise this? If not then wireless would be your best bet anyway with this headset. I always have one wired and one wireless. Which I am currently using that is. I have a collection of headsets in general.

Your thoughts were fine, I just didn't expect anybody to understand why I wanted to use the Maxwell wired. Honestly it sounds rather silly if you think about why would somebody want to use a wireless gaming headphone as a wired headphone when there are better options if I wanted wired.

My reasoning behind it was that I really REALLY wanted a wired Audeze headphone, one that I could enjoy with my current audio chain which I'm very fond of. Audeze headphones are rather spendy as I am sure you are aware and for the time being the LCD models are outside of my financial reach at the moment. When I saw the Maxwell, the price and that there was the possibility to plug it into my amps, I got really excited as this could be a entry level LCD at a price I can handle at the moment but in the end it didn't turn out to be what I was hoping for.

I could just use the Maxwell and enjoy it as a wireless headphone or with the included USB cable but all I really wanted is a Audeze headphone that I could use with my dac and amps. I already have some decent wireless headphones for my PC and consoles, but at this point I would rather just save the money and buy a LCD which is what I was hoping the Maxwell could be. I hope one day Audeze comes out with a cheaper entry level LCD headphone in the same price range as the Maxwell. Like take Hifiman for example the HE-400se/4XX/X4/5XX/Deva and even Sundara are all wonderful planar headphones at an attractive price. I just wish Audeze had something in this price range.

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #272 of 4,456
Your thoughts were fine, I just didn't expect anybody to understand why I wanted to use the Maxwell wired. Honestly it sounds rather silly if you think about why would somebody want to use a wireless gaming headphone as a wired headphone when there are better options if I wanted wired.

My reasoning behind it was that I really REALLY wanted a wired Audeze headphone, one that I could enjoy with my current audio chain which I'm very fond of. Audeze headphones are rather spendy as I am sure you are aware and for the time being the LCD models are outside of my financial reach at the moment. When I saw the Maxwell, the price and that there was the possibility to plug it into my amps, I got really excited as this could be a entry level LCD at a price I can handle at the moment but in the end it didn't turn out to be what I was hoping for.

I could just use the Maxwell and enjoy it as a wireless headphone or with the included USB cable but all I really wanted is a Audeze headphone that I could use with my dac and amps. I already have some decent wireless headphones for my PC and consoles, but at this point I would rather just save the money and buy a LCD which is what I was hoping the Maxwell could be. I hope one day Audeze comes out with a cheaper entry level LCD headphone in the same price range as the Maxwell. Like take Hifiman for example the HE-400se/4XX/X4/5XX/Deva and even Sundara are all wonderful planar headphones at an attractive price. I just wish Audeze had something in this price range.
You could check ebay for an LCD-1. They usually go for around $300 on ebay.

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #273 of 4,456
You could check ebay for an LCD-1. They usually go for around $300 on ebay.

I typically get burned on b-stock and used goods. :frowning2: I have horrible luck, so I only buy new.

Dec 25, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #275 of 4,456
I hope one day Audeze comes out with a cheaper entry level LCD headphone in the same price range as the Maxwell. Like take Hifiman for example the HE-400se/4XX/X4/5XX/Deva and even Sundara are all wonderful planar headphones at an attractive price. I just wish Audeze had something in this price range.
Audeze had the LCD-2C on sale for $449 during their recent annual and black friday sale. Not sure if that's within your price point. Sadly, unlike HiFiMAN, the Audeze LCD range is all built in the U.S. and probably can't get much lower than that to compete with HiFiMAN in terms of pricing. Plus, the Audeze build quality and construction is much much better than HiFiMAN (this coming from a former HiFiMAN fan).

Could probably try reach out to authorized retailers for b-stock or open boxed LCD-2s and LCD-GXs. Try World's Best Headphones, Hi-Fi Heaven, or World Wide Stereo for factory sealed b-stock. They could probably work out a deal to fit within your price point.

Hope this helps.

Dec 26, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #276 of 4,456
Audeze had the LCD-2C on sale for $449 during their recent annual and black friday sale. Not sure if that's within your price point. Sadly, unlike HiFiMAN, the Audeze LCD range is all built in the U.S. and probably can't get much lower than that to compete with HiFiMAN in terms of pricing. Plus, the Audeze build quality and construction is much much better than HiFiMAN (this coming from a former HiFiMAN fan).

Could probably try reach out to authorized retailers for b-stock or open boxed LCD-2s and LCD-GXs. Try World's Best Headphones, Hi-Fi Heaven, or World Wide Stereo for factory sealed b-stock. They could probably work out a deal to fit within your price point.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the advice!

Dec 26, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #277 of 4,456
I pre-ordered these on B&H, even though I have the Penrose I really want the extra comfort and the longer battery life. Can't wait!

Dec 26, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #278 of 4,456

Yea maybe saving for longer and getting an LCD one would be your best bet then in this situation.

Dec 27, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #279 of 4,456
Pulled the trigger on these. I'm not a gamer, but I've been waiting for a workable Audeze Bluetooth headphone for a long time. Only reason I waited when these were first announced was that I had the Edifier Stax S3 on the way, which use Audeze drivers (and clearly additional design input from Audeze). But the S3 have the same problem as the Mobius/Penrose duo: great sound, terrible build quality. So I'm glad to see the apparent improvements with the Maxwell. Wish I could have jumped in line earlier, but I'm sure they'll be worth the wait

Dec 27, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #280 of 4,456
I ordered my Maxwell yesterday and now I just cant wait till they arrive. I loved Mobius sound, I was thinking to jump someday to LCD line, but convenience of wireless made me chose them instead. Maybe when My AKG K550 break (9y going strong!) I will satisfy my curiosity for LCD.
Now what I crave is any new info, details or just something about Maxwell! :D

@Audeze As manual is not online yet I'm just interested how headstrap/headband regulation works? I See 3 sets of holes each side in leather strap (btw is it real leather or vegan one?) Does it work by simply unscrewing 2 screws and screwing them in different set of holes?
Also by "suspension strap" are you referring to some spring mechanism or just that leather strap works in tandem with spring steel part?
And last question about ear pads. In FAQ you state that they easily remove by twisting. I'm wondering if they contain any bespoke plastic(or whatever the material) part like Mobius/Penrose earpads or it's achieved with leather tab of some sorts?

I hope it's not "vegan" leather. Vegan leather isn't vegan at all, it's processed polyurethane and liable to deteriorate.

Dec 27, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #281 of 4,456
I plan to use the Maxwell for music primarily rather than gaming since Maxwell seems like it could be a great entry point into Audeze headphones on the cheap seeing as the traditional LCD models are more than I would like to spend at the moment or at least MSRP for new on the Audeze website. I do not plan on using the wireless or USB capability of the headphone all that much but plan to have it wired to an external amplifier. I absolutely dislike the sound quality I get from my PC's onboard audio solution, I'll spare you the colorful words I can muster to describe it.

I understand that Maxwell does not benefit from amping but if I decide to connect the Maxwell to something a little more robust such as my Hifiman EF400 (4.4 watts into lord knows what) which typically pairs well with planar headphones or maybe a Schiit Asgard 3 (5 watts into 16 ohms) rather than using a dongle dac or realtek PC onboard solution, would I put this headphone at serious risk? I assume you are trying to say that we should not use this headphone with any kind of high gain but it should be safe to run on low gain or are these big boy amps just too much for the Maxwell?

Use the USB mode or the dongle, seriously. Don't use an amplifier. The risk is much higher than any reward you think you'd have. USB wired and USB dongle does not use audio from the onboard.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 27, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #282 of 4,456
I hope it's not "vegan" leather. Vegan leather isn't vegan at all, it's processed polyurethane and liable to deteriorate.

The earpads are synthetic so I'd imagine there's a 99% chance the suspension strap is too, especially at this price point

Dec 27, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #283 of 4,456
Pulled the trigger on these. I'm not a gamer, but I've been waiting for a workable Audeze Bluetooth headphone for a long time. Only reason I waited when these were first announced was that I had the Edifier Stax S3 on the way, which use Audeze drivers (and clearly additional design input from Audeze). But the S3 have the same problem as the Mobius/Penrose duo: great sound, terrible build quality. So I'm glad to see the apparent improvements with the Maxwell. Wish I could have jumped in line earlier, but I'm sure they'll be worth the wait
It's actually surprising how many people want to use these as a strictly bluetooth headphone. Are you not worried about the codec support? The Edifier STAX SPIRIT S3 is a Snapdragon sound device so it has the full set of the aptX codecs, so the bluetooth quality is top tier. It looks like the Maxwell supports AAC, but it doesn't seem particularly equipped with the full bluetooth codec suite.

I'm also curious from Audeze's POV on the tuning. I pre-ordered these with the assumption they are tuned for gaming, but curious if the tuning is more the "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" approach to tuning the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back