Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Dec 14, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #167 of 4,459
Best Buy had a $100 off sale for the Xbox Nova Pro Wireless a few months ago so I figured I’d try it out. Returned the next day. The nub, the sound and that mic was awful on Xbox.
Same here except it was amazon I got a full refund thankfully. Imagine charging that much for this quality. Its the same with Astro too. You pay for the name.

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #168 of 4,459
Speaking for myself, I have never really cared for EA's internal options. I tried it on both Unbound and 2042 (briefly in this game), and found both lacking. Atmos has considerably better positional accuracy even on non-Atmos optimized games. AT least to my preference. Atmos maybe doesn't stretch out soundstage like other DSPs, but the placement of positional cues is dead on. Something at your 4 o clock sounds like it's behind you at 4, and not some mishmash of slight right panning with a 'different' sound from front cues. That's my problemn with built in binaural options. There is no real ability to hear things actually sounding like they are behind you. If you can't trick me into thinking something is behind me, then it's not worth it. This is why I DON'T play games in stereo on headphones (unless the game is made with stereo as its max output). There is zero actually information for rear cues other than a slight pan to the left/right, and it sounding 'different'. Binaural options don't do much better in this regard.

Take the binaural option on Hellblade. Really cool right? The close whispering, etc. However, nothing actually sounds like it's coming from behind you. Atmos fixes that. Turn OFF headphone options and set the audio to 5.1/7.1 or Home Theater instead (whatever it may be called in the game). Atmos will provide a real surround headphone experience that way, IMHO.

edit: Forgot to add don't. I DON'T play games in stereo unless they're made with stereo only. DSPs like Atmos are an integral part of my headphone gaming.
Thank you, will give Unbound a try w/ Atmos. I’m really enjoying that game, I miss arcade racers.

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #169 of 4,459
@Audeze I'm not sure I understand your seemingly exasperated response. My original question was specifically regarding the sound quality of the new model vs. the older models, and what changes your customers of the current models can expect in this respect. The majority of your response had nothing to do with sound quality at all, and no where does it begin to address the actual question. So please forgive me for being confused on what you mean by "answering the same question over and over". It would be tremendous if you answered it just once.

Below is every single word of your answer to the question, and the lack of any real information on sound quality is precisely why I had to try and read between the lines, make an assumption, and ask for confirmation. Apologies if I was blind to the actual answer that must be hidden even deeper within this response, in which case please do enlighten us.

This is an evolution of what we have learned with Penrose. Of course this bring improvements in as many areas as we could think of in relation to Penrose.
This part has nothing to do with sound quality.
We are known for our class leading audio quality, and we have focused on making sure we are still at the forefront of audio quality for gaming headsets, which I believe many of you will agree with.
This single sentence of vague marketing speak does not give any indication on sound quality of the new model vs. older models, whether it is improved, diminished, or exactly the same.

Audio quality comes first, but we have also wanted to bring the latest and greatest technologies like Multi point and multi link, LCD3 and LC3plus, AI Noise Reduction on microphones, and a host of other things, like an extremely long battery life of 80+ hours at 80db, improved connection quality and range, and reinforced chassis with aluminum and steel parts.
Again, this part also has nothing to do with sound quality.

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #171 of 4,459
All we can say about sound is what was posted on the other thread: it should fall where people expect from Audeze house sound. There are other presets like Alternate which I believe a lot of people will like, and the other stuff found like on Mobius. Ballistics, RPG, Footsteps, etc. The customizable presets should also allow you guys to tailor the sound to your liking.

If you've heard Mobius and Penrose, you will agree their default sound is tonally similar, with Penrose improving from the Mobius. Expect Maxwell to meet a similar criteria.

We'll leave it to reviewers to give you their takes on the sound, since everyone describes sound differently.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 15, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #172 of 4,459
We are still finalizing functions, and will have more in terms of user guide once we approach release.

For now the main things you can expect (may subject to change):

Power button:

Hold: Power on/off
Single press = media play/pause
Double press = pairing BT
Triple Press: Pairing usb dongle

Top wheel:

Up/Down = audio volume control
Single press + up/down = media previous/next track
double press + up/down = EQ preset selection

Bottom wheel (chat/comm wheel):

Up/Down = Game/Chat Mix adjust (currently PC/Xbox only. Still finalizing features)
Single press + up/down = sidetone volume adjust
double press = sidetone on/off toggle

Mic mute up/down = you guessed it, mic mute on/off

MFB button (next to mic port)

Double press = Microphone ai noise reduction "Noise Suppression" low, high, off.

In case anyone is wondering about your outgoing microphone volume control, microphone no longer has volume control because it uses AGC (automatic gain control), which adjusts on the fly. If you want to adjust past that, you'll have to use system/console mic volume controls.
Sweet specifications. We all need a Christmas gift.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #173 of 4,459
Thanks, sounds like the audio quality will largely remain the same as the previous models while improving on the other important quality of life areas you listed. Did I read that correctly?

Also wondering - has there been any change or improvement on the internal DAC and amp electronics vs. the Mobius?
Here is some more information regarding Maxwell compared to Penrose/Mobius.
Chips - The Maxwell uses a newer more powerful dedicated DAC/AMP chip. The DSP is also much more powerful compared to Penrose. We have much bigger dynamic range and lower noise floor on these compared to Mobius and Penrose.

acoustic - One of the biggest improvements comes from the new housing. In the Penrose/mobius housing the left and right side were not acoustically balanced because of the presence of PCB on one side and the battery on the other side. Buttons were also mostly on the left. Wit Maxwell, we have a dual chamber design. There is an inner housing that acoustically isolates the driver from the electronics. This alone makes a huge improvement in our opinion.

Unlike Mobius both Maxwell and Penrose have custom EQ options. So users can tweak the EQ if they think it is necessary.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 15, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #176 of 4,459
Ah. Didn’t realise. Checked Scan near start of week and wasn’t anything there.

I’ll order from one of those two anyway as both have been excellent with deliveries and returns in the past.
I ordered mine yesterday Was arguing with myself about ordering from America but it popped up on scan so grabbed one while i could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back