Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Dec 14, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #151 of 4,444
On Xbox the game chat mix is built into the console. What the headsets can do is to send the balance / fader information to the Xbox. In Penrose X, the default mode for the roller button was mic gain. If you click and rotate it will adjust the balance.
With Maxwell, this behavior has been modified based on feedback. The default behavior of the rotary button is to adjust the game-chat mix.

The Xbox (and also Playstation version) dongle on Maxwell has a switch in addition for use with PC. When you plug the dongle in a PC, it appears as two different end points. i.e. it appears as two audio devices on PC and Mac. The first one is Maxwell Game and the second one is Maxwell Chat. The applications can choose either of the two audio devices to playback. The rotary button adjusts the balance between the two audio devices/end points.

In short: Game/Chat balance on Xbox is simply done by adjusting the lower wheel (chat/communicattion wheel) up and down. On Penrose, you had to click the wheel in and then adjust, because we used to have microphone output volume as the default action. This is no longer needed on Maxwell because it utilizes automatic gain control (adjusts microphone volume automatically).

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 14, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #152 of 4,444
Preliminary FAQ Page: (where the most important questions will go). Before you ASK, please check the FAQ page.

Click Here

@Audeze Can you say something more about build quality? I'm Mobius owner and it cracked at yokes twice sadly (I'm on my third pair, and thanks a lot your customer support is fantastic!). In marketing material you mention aluminium yokes and steal headband, but how is the rest of construction? I assume cups are plastic. What about yokes? Are they fully metal or maybe upper part above hinge is plastic?
I love Mobius sound, or more your planar drivers sound in general but I rarely use them as now i perceive them kind of fragile and I would consider switching to Maxwell it build is better now.
To add on build:

The earcups and the parts that have the audeze A logo are both glass infused nylon (this is the same stuff that is used for our LCD-2 Classic rings.). The headband is steel, the yokes are aluminum. The earpads are PU/protein leather.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 14, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #153 of 4,444
Preliminary FAQ Page: (where the most important questions will go). Before you ASK, please check the FAQ page.

Click Here

To add on build:

The earcups and the parts that have the audeze A logo are both glass infused nylon (this is the same stuff that is used for our LCD-2 Classic rings.). The headband is steel, the yokes are aluminum. The earpads are PU/protein leather.
The more I hear about the new build and build materials the more you make me want them

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #154 of 4,444
On Xbox the game chat mix is built into the console. What the headsets can do is to send the balance / fader information to the Xbox. In Penrose X, the default mode for the roller button was mic gain. If you click and rotate it will adjust the balance.
With Maxwell, this behavior has been modified based on feedback. The default behavior of the rotary button is to adjust the game-chat mix.

The Xbox (and also Playstation version) dongle on Maxwell has a switch in addition for use with PC. When you plug the dongle in a PC, it appears as two different end points. i.e. it appears as two audio devices on PC and Mac. The first one is Maxwell Game and the second one is Maxwell Chat. The applications can choose either of the two audio devices to playback. The rotary button adjusts the balance between the two audio devices/end points.

In short: Game/Chat balance on Xbox is simply done by adjusting the lower wheel (chat/communicattion wheel) up and down. On Penrose, you had to click the wheel in and then adjust, because we used to have microphone output volume as the default action. This is no longer needed on Maxwell because it utilizes automatic gain control (adjusts microphone volume automatically).
That's a massive improvement with controls! Great job listening to user feedback. The SteelSeries Nova Pro wireless has been a top seller, but when playing games like Warzone with friends, it has been a challenge to quickly fade your friend's voices up and down due to the volume wheel also being used for chat mix. This can be critical when you need to quickly hear footsteps, or cannot hear them over an air strike or car noise. The Penrose had a similar issue, as you mentioned before.

Paired with the more intuitive controls, if your single sided-Fluxor magnet array and improved driver performance results in better imaging, it could become the top preferred wireless gaming headsets for FPS games. I'm really excited to try them out!

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #155 of 4,444
My main question for these would be; are people still experiencing the driver "Crinkle" that was present on the Penrose? I love mine up until they started doing that about 5 days into having them, returned for another set, they did the same thing, so I just moved on. Again, other than that, I loved them.

What about the Schiit Fulla then? A much better choice than SS gamedac 2.
I have the Fulla, and it is excellent!

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #156 of 4,444
My main question for these would be; are people still experiencing the driver "Crinkle" that was present on the Penrose? I love mine up until they started doing that about 5 days into having them, returned for another set, they did the same thing, so I just moved on. Again, other than that, I loved them.

I have the Fulla, and it is excellent!
Not Audeze but it's pretty typical that "driver crinkle" occurs on closed back planar magnetic headphones. The diaphragm is incredibly thin (less than a human hair thick) and is very susceptible to pressure. Usually you don't want to push hard on the ear cups once a seal is established, because that is what's causing this. With the Maxwell using protein leather, you should expect similar characteristics unless there's any form of ventilation.

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #157 of 4,444
That's a massive improvement with controls! Great job listening to user feedback. The SteelSeries Nova Pro wireless has been a top seller, but when playing games like Warzone with friends, it has been a challenge to quickly fade your friend's voices up and down due to the volume wheel also being used for chat mix. This can be critical when you need to quickly hear footsteps, or cannot hear them over an air strike or car noise. The Penrose had a similar issue, as you mentioned before.

Paired with the more intuitive controls, if your single sided-Fluxor magnet array and improved driver performance results in better imaging, it could become the top preferred wireless gaming headsets for FPS games. I'm really excited to try them out!
The nova pro wireless is one of the most expensive pair of trash cans I've ever purchased. Wasn't a fan of the soundstage with these and that little ANC nub that it has was always catching. That and the Turtle beach lineup are a mockery to headsets IMO.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #158 of 4,444
The nova pro wireless is one of the most expensive pair of trash cans I've ever purchased. Wasn't a fan of the soundstage with these and that little ANC nub that it has was always catching. That and the Turtle beach lineup are a mockery to headsets IMO.
Best Buy had a $100 off sale for the Xbox Nova Pro Wireless a few months ago so I figured I’d try it out. Returned the next day. The nub, the sound and that mic was awful on Xbox.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #159 of 4,444
You should understand that Atmos works on everything that has at least 5.1 support. A game may not be optimized for Atmos, but it will still have a surround process applied, and give positional audio, just without the additional Atmos benefits like height channel processing. It'll be processing up to 7.1 if a game isn't 'Atmos' optimized.
Yes I understand this. Thats why I bought the access when it became available. I tend to play FPS games and Atmos narrows the soundstage at least to my hearing. Plus, I use an amp when playing and not the aux jack on the controller. Others may feel otherwise but if I'm playing a game thats a bit slower paced, I am fine with the Atmos sometimes. I turn it off even when watching movies but thats my preference. Its good on a HT set up but for headphones I'm not a fan. I have my sound set to HDMI audio Stereo uncompressed and Headset format to stereo uncompressed also. I just feel this set up gives me better imaging when playing certain games.

I had the Mobius and enjoyed it but never used the 3d rendering while gaming. I turned it off and used it for music via bluetooth.

I hope that the Maxwell can offer a bit of a wide soundstage as I feel I've been spoiled by the AKG Q701. If they don't then I'll use them for bluetooth music like I did with the Mobius but I'm leaning towards the PS version because I can still turn on Atmos (but most likely won't) and use the aux or my amp. But again, I'd like to read some reviews before taking the plundge. Hopefully Mad, Lust, Envy puts up a review.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #160 of 4,444

Click Here

To add on build:

That's what I suspected about the upper part of the yoke where the logo is. Thank you for confirmation. I would love to hear that's full aluminum but "glass infused nylon" seams like a sturdy material and whole piece look way more robust that the one in Mobius/Penrose.
I may pull a trigger on Maxwell, thanks :wink:

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #161 of 4,444
Yes I understand this. Thats why I bought the access when it became available. I tend to play FPS games and Atmos narrows the soundstage at least to my hearing. Plus, I use an amp when playing and not the aux jack on the controller. Others may feel otherwise but if I'm playing a game thats a bit slower paced, I am fine with the Atmos sometimes. I turn it off even when watching movies but thats my preference. Its good on a HT set up but for headphones I'm not a fan. I have my sound set to HDMI audio Stereo uncompressed and Headset format to stereo uncompressed also. I just feel this set up gives me better imaging when playing certain games.

I had the Mobius and enjoyed it but never used the 3d rendering while gaming. I turned it off and used it for music via bluetooth.

I hope that the Maxwell can offer a bit of a wide soundstage as I feel I've been spoiled by the AKG Q701. If they don't then I'll use them for bluetooth music like I did with the Mobius but I'm leaning towards the PS version because I can still turn on Atmos (but most likely won't) and use the aux or my amp. But again, I'd like to read some reviews before taking the plundge. Hopefully Mad, Lust, Envy puts up a review.
That was me who stated that response.

This is a closed back headset, so set expectations accordingly. Q701 is one of the most open, large soundstaging headphones out there. You're not going to get that from any closed back... except maybe something like a TH900 (which has some other...aspects that you need to account for, like really prominent treble, and really, really emphasized bass). Strong v-shaped headphones tend to have staging advantages at the expense of accuracy and tonal consistency. Maxwell follows Audeze's general characteristics (and of course has a mix of Audeze created presets, as well as fully customizable presets).

Unfortunately I won't be able to review the Maxwell as I'm employed by Audeze, so it's a conflict of interest. I may make a 'preview' entry on my guide, but I can't straight up do a review. Sorry about that! Of course I wanna say Maxwell is awesome! I think that'll be something you will all find out on your own on as we release the product even without an official review from me.

*currently using Maxwell* :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #162 of 4,444
That was me who stated that response.

This is a closed back headset, so set expectations accordingly. Q701 is one of the most open, large soundstaging headphones out there. You're not going to get that from any closed back... except maybe something like a TH900 (which has some other...aspects that you need to account for, like really prominent treble, and really, really emphasized bass). Strong v-shaped headphones tend to have staging advantages at the expense of accuracy and tonal consistency. Maxwell follows Audeze's general characteristics (and of course has a mix of Audeze created presets, as well as fully customizable presets).

Unfortunately I won't be able to review the Maxwell as I'm employed by Audeze, so it's a conflict of interest. I may make a 'preview' entry on my guide, but I can't straight up do a review. Sorry about that! Of course I wanna say Maxwell is awesome! I think that'll be something you will all find out on your own on as we release the product even without an official review from me.

*currently using Maxwell* :wink:
Yeah, I haven't used another can that has a similar soundstage. Currently using a modded (aux jack) Tygr 300 and it does well for the most part but, I miss the vast soundstage.

I'm aware that the Maxwell is a closed can. I usually game in my office/study where it's quiet. I'm hoping it's more neutral as I'm not a huge fan of the v-sound of the tygrs so I added zmf earpads to help flatten the sound.

But looking forward to a write up on the Maxwell. I most likely will get it, I just don't see a reason to get the xbox version unless the bluetooth offers better sound than aux. Atmos isn't really my cup of tea and I can always leave it off.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #163 of 4,444
Yeah, I haven't used another can that has a similar soundstage. Currently using a modded (aux jack) Tygr 300 and it does well for the most part but, I miss the vast soundstage.

I'm aware that the Maxwell is a closed can. I usually game in my office/study where it's quiet. I'm hoping it's more neutral as I'm not a huge fan of the v-sound of the tygrs so I added zmf earpads to help flatten the sound.

But looking forward to a write up on the Maxwell. I most likely will get it, I just don't see a reason to get the xbox version unless the bluetooth offers better sound than aux. Atmos isn't really my cup of tea and I can always leave it off.
I would say that it should fall between what people expect from Audeze. There are other presets like Alternate which I believe a lot of people will like, and the other stuff found like on Mobius. Ballistics, RPG, Footsteps, etc. The customizable presets should also allow you guys to tailor the sound to your liking.

Me, I'm a sucker for keeping it at Audeze (replaces 'Default' as the name), but that's just because I'm personally not one to experiment much with EQ, and trust the team to create a great out of the box tuning.

We're really proud of the Bluetooth implementation, and hope you guys try it out! BLE/ULL/LC3plus as well as LDAC. We made sure Bluetooth is not merely an addition, but a big part of what makes Maxwell hopefully an enticing product.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #164 of 4,444
You can also buy the dolby access on xbox for $15.

I honestly want to read some reviews of the atmos being used with the headphones via dongle and aux. Most games aren't supported by Atmos on xbox so thats why I'm leaning on getting the PS version and just using aux. But I'll be patient and wait for some reviews to pop up.
I’ve owned the Dolby Access App since day one so the license that comes with Maxwell isn’t a selling point. Also I noticed EA stopped Atmos support on newer releases, EA uses their own binaural headphone option for BF2042 & NFS UNBOUND.

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #165 of 4,444
I’ve owned the Dolby Access App since day one so the license that comes with Maxwell isn’t a selling point. Also I noticed EA stopped Atmos support on newer releases, EA uses their own binaural headphone option for BF2042 & NFS UNBOUND.
Speaking for myself, I have never really cared for EA's internal options. I tried it on both Unbound and 2042 (briefly in this game), and found both lacking. Atmos has considerably better positional accuracy even on non-Atmos optimized games. AT least to my preference. Atmos maybe doesn't stretch out soundstage like other DSPs, but the placement of positional cues is dead on. Something at your 4 o clock sounds like it's behind you at 4, and not some mishmash of slight right panning with a 'different' sound from front cues. That's my problemn with built in binaural options. There is no real ability to hear things actually sounding like they are behind you. If you can't trick me into thinking something is behind me, then it's not worth it. This is why I DON'T play games in stereo on headphones (unless the game is made with stereo as its max output). There is zero actually information for rear cues other than a slight pan to the left/right, and it sounding 'different'. Binaural options don't do much better in this regard.

Take the binaural option on Hellblade. Really cool right? The close whispering, etc. However, nothing actually sounds like it's coming from behind you. Atmos fixes that. Turn OFF headphone options and set the audio to 5.1/7.1 or Home Theater instead (whatever it may be called in the game). Atmos will provide a real surround headphone experience that way, IMHO.

edit: Forgot to add don't. I DON'T play games in stereo unless they're made with stereo only. DSPs like Atmos are an integral part of my headphone gaming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back