Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Dec 13, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #136 of 4,444
Again, NO simultaneous audio. You can pair BT and dongle at the same time, and when a call comes in, you tap on the power button and it will switch to the call. Once it's over it should switch back to the dongle/game audio.

To clarify one last time: You will not be able to hear both game and BT audio at the same time. We have specified why earlier.
Again...thanks...thats perfect clear now... Best Regards

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #137 of 4,444
Pre-orders are first come first served. So if you pre-order extremely late, you may not be on the first shipment, and may have to wait quite sometime for the next batch, which we do not have info on at this time.

We do not have info on pre-order conclusions. So Pre-order as soon as possible so as to not miss a chance.

Late orders may be at the mercy of when shipments arrive to us from overseas, which can have unforeseen delays, like aliens attacking, or nuclear war, or other shipping issues.
Do you know if audeze.co.uk will get these for preorder as I am in the UK, if not should I wait for a reseller or order from the US?

Dec 13, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #138 of 4,444
This is an evolution of what we have learned with Penrose. Of course this bring improvements in as many areas as we could think of in relation to Penrose. We are known for our class leading audio quality, and we have focused on making sure we are still at the forefront of audio quality for gaming headsets, which I believe many of you will agree with. Audio quality comes first, but we have also wanted to bring the latest and greatest technologies like Multi point and multi link, LCD3 and LC3plus, AI Noise Reduction on microphones, and a host of other things, like an extremely long battery life of 80+ hours at 80db, improved connection quality and range, and reinforced chassis with aluminum and steel parts.
Thanks, sounds like the audio quality will largely remain the same as the previous models while improving on the other important quality of life areas you listed. Did I read that correctly?

Also wondering - has there been any change or improvement on the internal DAC and amp electronics vs. the Mobius?

Dec 13, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #139 of 4,444
@Audeze stupid question: I preordered the Xbox version since I own both current gen but I play more on PS5. Would directly connecting the Xbox Maxwell via USB C to the PS5 (Removing the dongle) still suffer from a "lack things like "high enough volume output, volume control, and cause a higher noise floor."? I assume the PS5 dongle is used for audio processing (custom chip?) so this isn't really a solution. I think I might change my order to the PS5, if so I hope that won't mess up delivery timing since I pre-ordered it immediately. You can understand im finding out the details after preordering isn't the ideal situation just excited for the new product. However its seems recommended if one owns both consoles the Xbox version is the way to go. I realize Im contradicting myself but this isn't an inexpensive product at least for gaming so just want to think this through.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #140 of 4,444
@Audeze stupid question: I preordered the Xbox version since I own both current gen but I play more on PS5. Would directly connecting the Xbox Maxwell via USB C to the PS5 (Removing the dongle) still suffer from a "lack things like "high enough volume output, volume control, and cause a higher noise floor."? I assume the PS5 dongle is used for audio processing (custom chip?) so this isn't really a solution. I think I might change my order to the PS5, if so I hope that won't mess up delivery timing since I pre-ordered it immediately. You can understand im finding out the details after preordering isn't the ideal situation just excited for the new product. However its seems recommended if one owns both consoles the Xbox version is the way to go. I realize Im contradicting myself but this isn't an inexpensive product at least for gaming so just want to think this through.
You can also buy the dolby access on xbox for $15.

I honestly want to read some reviews of the atmos being used with the headphones via dongle and aux. Most games aren't supported by Atmos on xbox so thats why I'm leaning on getting the PS version and just using aux. But I'll be patient and wait for some reviews to pop up.

Dec 13, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #141 of 4,444
PS version headset does not support Xbox due to a lack of Microsoft chip/licensing. You can still use the PS Maxwell on Xbox, but only with the Aux cable input to the Xbox controller.

Xbox Maxwell WILL work on Playstation as stated, many, many times before on this thread. You can connect through aux cable, or set the dongle to PC mode, but bear in mind that you will be quite limited in function. It will WORK, but you may lack things like high enough volume output, volume control, and cause a higher noise floor.

No, this would mean we'd need an additional chipset, as well as drive up the cost of Maxwell, as well as add a lot more complexity to an already complex platform. It is not going to be possible. We've decided to focus on the vast majority of other features which are a considerable improvement in most aspects over the Penrose. We understand that we can't make everyone happy, but we think our targeted features will speak for themselves.

Sony already uses their own surround algorithm in Sony Tempest 3D Audio, which you can consider direct competition to Atmos for headphones. It's also free, and embedded into the core PS5 functionality.

Again, NO simultaneous audio. You can pair BT and dongle at the same time, and when a call comes in, you tap on the power button and it will switch to the call. Once it's over it should switch back to the dongle/game audio.

To clarify one last time: You will not be able to hear both game and BT audio at the same time. We have specified why earlier.
Thank you for the clarification on the simultaneous playback.

In which case are you able to confirm the variance of bt multipoint in the Maxwell? Will the Maxwell switch back and forth between devices for their audio? Or will they play a notification while continuing playback?

Example, if I'm listening to music on one device but receive a notification on the second what exactly happens? What happens if both are pushing media?

To clarify on my side, I'm talking strictly Bluetooth multipoint connections. The market is filled with different implementations so curious on the Audeze approach

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #143 of 4,444
@Audeze Can you say something more about build quality? I'm Mobius owner and it cracked at yokes twice sadly (I'm on my third pair, and thanks a lot your customer support is fantastic!). In marketing material you mention aluminium yokes and steal headband, but how is the rest of construction? I assume cups are plastic. What about yokes? Are they fully metal or maybe upper part above hinge is plastic?
I love Mobius sound, or more your planar drivers sound in general but I rarely use them as now i perceive them kind of fragile and I would consider switching to Maxwell it build is better now.

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #144 of 4,444
No doubt the lack of simultaneous audio mixing in BT and USB dongle will cost them some sales, but I suspect they will still meet and exceed their sales targets given what seem to be the vast improvements in so many other areas, like build quality, comfort, battery life, and wireless range when using the USB dongle.

One reason I don't use the Penrose as much as I had anticipated is the comfort on it is "barely adequate" with a dash of straight-out uncomfortable over time.
BT multipoint will be the solve for PC, as this should support low latency bluetooth via LE Audio. Longer term, so will consoles.

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #145 of 4,444
II apologize but not going to repeat answering the same questions over and over. My post covered audio quality. I have nothing more to say about that.

The Mobius is approaching 5 years (though is still quite relevant today).

Maxwell is using the latest and greatest, meaning one can assume there will be many improvements.

edit:

Preliminary FAQ Page: (where the most important questions will go). Before you ASK, please check the FAQ page.

Click Here

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 14, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #146 of 4,444
This is retreading questions that have been answered. As stated, the PS dongle has a toggle for PS/PC. The PS side is targeting PS consoles. PC dongle mode and wired USB will function similarly, meaning they are not going to be the ideal connection method on PS5.

If on PS5, use the dongle on PS mode. Period. You can use PC mode on the dongle and even wired USB mode at this time, but as stated quite a few times before, it is not the ideal connection method.

You can also buy the dolby access on xbox for $15.

I honestly want to read some reviews of the atmos being used with the headphones via dongle and aux. Most games aren't supported by Atmos on xbox so thats why I'm leaning on getting the PS version and just using aux. But I'll be patient and wait for some reviews to pop up.

You should understand that Atmos works on everything that has at least 5.1 support. A game may not be optimized for Atmos, but it will still have a surround process applied, and give positional audio, just without the additional Atmos benefits like height channel processing. It'll be processing up to 7.1 if a game isn't 'Atmos' optimized.

@Audeze Can you say something more about build quality? I'm Mobius owner and it cracked at yokes twice sadly (I'm on my third pair, and thanks a lot your customer support is fantastic!). In marketing material you mention aluminium yokes and steal headband, but how is the rest of construction? I assume cups are plastic. What about yokes? Are they fully metal or maybe upper part above hinge is plastic?
I love Mobius sound, or more your planar drivers sound in general but I rarely use them as now i perceive them kind of fragile and I would consider switching to Maxwell it build is better now.

Reinforced body with many aluminum and steel parts. It is also a completely different design. One can extrapolate from this that we have made many changes from previous headsets. It is, once again, a very different design.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 14, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #147 of 4,444
This is retreading questions that have been answered. As stated, the PS dongle has a toggle for PS/PC. The PS side is targeting PS consoles. PC dongle mode and wired USB will function similarly, meaning they are not going to be the ideal connection method on PS5.

If on PS5, use the dongle on PS mode. Period. You can use PC mode on the dongle and even wired USB mode at this time, but as stated quite a few times before, it is not the ideal connection method.

You should understand that Atmos works on EVERYTHING that has at least 5.1 support. A game may not be optimized for Atmos, but it will still have a surround process applied, and give you a theather like experience, just without the additional Atmos benefits like height channel processing. It'll be processing up to 7.1 if a game isn't 'Atmos' optimized.

Again, as already mentioned, reinforced body with aluminum and steel parts. It is also a completely different design. One can extrapolate from this.
Maybe adding a FAQ to the original post would help with these repeat questions...? I know it won't stop all of them, but it can't hurt. Looking forward to seeing the reviews on this!

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #149 of 4,444
Quick re-post, @Audeze , exactly how will the Game / Chat mix adjustment work on the Maxwell Xbox Version?

This was one primary complaint amongst Penrose X users. The Game / Chat mix wheel is constantly used by console players. This function on the Penrose X is kind of clunky / non user friendly, as opposed to other headsets. It can be difficult to make these adjustments correctly and quickly on the Penrose X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back