Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Dec 11, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #106 of 4,444
Don't get me wrong I LOVE the wired Nova Pros. I bought the wired after every review stated wired sounded better than wireless and my console space allows for wires. Also my OCD for best audio I wanted wired. :beyersmile: Now, sometimes I don't want to deal with wires and reviews have stated the Nova wireless are uncomfortable due to the noise canceling design on the driver. I think Im articulating this correctly. Ive watched many Penrose reviews and its almost unanimous the Penrose have excellent audio for a wireless headphone but suspect build quality( (sorry) and comfort. Enter Maxwell, its almost seems like the best of both worlds, audio quality that might match wired even if the human ear can't notice:smile: and a cool utilitarian design.
I recently picked up the H6 Pro open back on sale and when paired with the GameDAC 2 its god tier audio when playing MW2 multiplayer on PS5.
I don't really need the Maxwell but I want to see if Audeze lives up to the hype. Hopefully the Maxwell will be confortable, I had to swap the pads on the H6 for Jerzee pads but it made a massive difference.
I appreciate the write up, I'm torn between waiting for maxwell or getting the wireless nova pros now that it's been confirmed maxwell will not do simultaneous bt and wireless.

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #107 of 4,444
I stand by what I wrote. The new DAC paired with EPOS H6 Pro open back which doesn’t take much power to drive sound fantastic. I’m sure I spanked snobby players with better DACs in MW2 multiplayer since I usually place in the top 2 positions in almost every match. :)
That’s because you were a better player the best dac in the world won’t improve your gameplay lol!. The dac 2 from steelseries isn’t good imo. You’d be better served with a schiit hel or one from JDS labs.

I appreciate the write up, I'm torn between waiting for maxwell or getting the wireless nova pros now that it's been confirmed maxwell will not do simultaneous bt and wireless.
Depends if you want better sound quality or not and if you value comfort if you want a comfortable headset avoid the nova pro wireless.

Dec 11, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #108 of 4,444
Sorry to ask this subject again...by saying "will not do simultaneous bt and wireless" means you cannot play a game and listen its audio while at the same time listening Spotify connected to the Phone? It is one or the other?

And if your playing and get a phone call means the game audio will end and you will only hear the ring sound of the call and if you answer, the phone call itself?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #109 of 4,444
@Audeze , exactly how will the Game / Chat mix adjustment work on the Maxwell Xbox Version?

This was one primary complaint amongst Penrose X users. The Game / Chat mix wheel is constantly used by console players. This function on the Penrose X is kind of clunky / non user friendly, as opposed to other headsets. It can be difficult to make these adjustments correctly and quickly on the Penrose X.

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #110 of 4,444
This single feature is what made me buy the penrose and now they nuked it. They even compare the maxwell to the steelseries arctis nova pro wireless - which does simultaneos bt+wireless.
@Audeze is there any chance of enabling it via update?
Yeah, I'm also disappointed that Audeze had to kill that feature -- I say, "had to", as it only makes sense that it was necessary to kill it in order to meet other design imperatives that they prioritized -- I'm sure it wasn't just that they thought, "gee, useless feature, let's kill it."

No doubt that there was something about the components used that made mixing audio between BT and USB dongle a bigger lift than it had been on the previous chipset they used on Penrose, and they've already told us specifically on this thread that it's an entirely different chipset than the one used in Penrose.

It won't keep me from trying the Maxwell, although I may not pre-order it like I did the Penrose when it was first released -- because that concurrent BT + dongle wireless audio mixing was a unique feature that made it very desirable for me.

But, I personally don't need the simultaneous, mixed audio from BT + dongle wireless as others might, for me it was always just a "nice to have/"

As long as they can seamlessly switch audio from the dongle to my iPhone over BT when I answer the phone, then seamlessly switch back to the dongle when I hang up, it will still better than any other solution for me, as I use the Penrose mostly for Zoom calls and love that I can seamlessly answer phone over BT from iPhone without taking off the Penrose to use another headset.

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #111 of 4,444
Yeah, I'm also disappointed that Audeze had to kill that feature -- I say, "had to", as it only makes sense that it was necessary to kill it in order to meet other design imperatives that they prioritized -- I'm sure it wasn't just that they thought, "gee, useless feature, let's kill it."

No doubt that there was something about the components used that made mixing audio between BT and USB dongle a bigger lift than it had been on the previous chipset they used on Penrose, and they've already told us specifically on this thread that it's an entirely different chipset than the one used in Penrose.

It won't keep me from trying the Maxwell, although I may not pre-order it like I did the Penrose when it was first released -- because that concurrent BT + dongle wireless audio mixing was a unique feature that made it very desirable for me.

But, I personally don't need the simultaneous, mixed audio from BT + dongle wireless as others might, for me it was always just a "nice to have/"

As long as they can seamlessly switch audio from the dongle to my iPhone over BT when I answer the phone, then seamlessly switch back to the dongle when I hang up, it will still better than any other solution for me, as I use the Penrose mostly for Zoom calls and love that I can seamlessly answer phone over BT from iPhone without taking off the Penrose to use another headset.
Honestly I'm just wondering what that reason is.

They have been very silent on the simultaneous playback aside from saying no, sort of danced around the question until asked outright. Like I'm wondering if it's one those "drop the feature to be able to support multipoint" or if it's just for latency/battery concerns.

I've already cancelled my pre order specifically because of it lacking this feature. But it's just not that important to everyone, for those who do need/use it, it's huge though and that's a good part of the market that will now move to the nova pro or similar just because of the feature.

For me the Penrose with better build would've been enough because I hadn't experienced the drop outs or noise floor issues. The Maxwell seems like an absolute stellar of an upgrade but I now live by this feature and use it nearly every day.

@Audeze you will lose people for this feature alone, especially in a new wfh age

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #112 of 4,444

I still see it as a retrograde step and believe it will be a deal breaker for many Gamers !

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #113 of 4,444
No doubt the lack of simultaneous audio mixing in BT and USB dongle will cost them some sales, but I suspect they will still meet and exceed their sales targets given what seem to be the vast improvements in so many other areas, like build quality, comfort, battery life, and wireless range when using the USB dongle.

One reason I don't use the Penrose as much as I had anticipated is the comfort on it is "barely adequate" with a dash of straight-out uncomfortable over time.

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #114 of 4,444
No doubt the lack of simultaneous audio mixing in BT and USB dongle will cost them some sales, but I suspect they will still meet and exceed their sales targets given what seem to be the vast improvements in so many other areas, like build quality, comfort, battery life, and wireless range when using the USB dongle.

One reason I don't use the Penrose as much as I had anticipated is the comfort on it is "barely adequate" with a dash of straight-out uncomfortable over time.
For the penrose I fixed the comfort by switching out to wicked cushions and adding a headband wrap(don't know what else to call it) they are now full day comfort for me. I can DM if interested to show you the end product.

Edit: I should add that I will at some point own the Maxwell depending on reviews, but they just aren't worth the pre-order if the simultaneous isn't there for me

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #115 of 4,444
For the penrose I fixed the comfort by switching out to wicked cushions and adding a headband wrap(don't know what else to call it) they are now full day comfort for me. I can DM if interested to show you the end product
I actually just recently bought the Wicked Cushions right before traveling, I mounted them and tested them very briefly but haven't really had a session with them yet -- so I've brought them with to do some testing during this stay in Colorado. I haven't done anything to the top with a headband wrap, though.

IMG_5441.jpg

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #116 of 4,444
That’s because you were a better player the best dac in the world won’t improve your gameplay lol!. The dac 2 from steelseries isn’t good imo. You’d be better served with a schiit hel or one from JDS labs.

Depends if you want better sound quality or not and if you value comfort if you want a comfortable headset avoid the nova pro wireless.
I looked into the Hel 2E but that's a beast and overkill for the H6 Pro. The H6 don't require that much power. Plus I can tone down the bass on the SS DAC since the H6 run a little boomy. Not to get off the Maxwell subject, what JDS labs DAC do you suggest?
Have you tried the new wired SS GameDAC Gen 2? Don't most of these DAC/AMP use ESS Saber chips anyway? :slight_smile:

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #117 of 4,444
I looked into the Hel 2E but that's a beast and overkill for the H6 Pro. The H6 don't require that much power. Plus I can tone down the bass on the SS DAC since the H6 run a little boomy. Not to get off the Maxwell subject, what JDS labs DAC do you suggest?
Have you tried the new wired SS GameDAC Gen 2? Don't most of these DAC/AMP use ESS Saber chips anyway? :slight_smile:
What about the Schiit Fulla then? A much better choice than SS gamedac 2.

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #118 of 4,444
What about the Schiit Fulla then? A much better choice than SS gamedac 2.
Looked into it, this guy gave it a pretty meh review. I like the sound of the gamedac 2, so to each their own I suppose. I did my research. :slight_smile:

I trust Joe since his reviews are in depth and does measurements. Now I question if I should have waiting for his review of the Maxwell before preordering. Joe was correct about the H6 Pro Open and for me all his recommendations have been spot on.

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #119 of 4,444
Looked into it, this guy gave it a pretty meh review. I like the sound of the gamedac 2, so to each their own I suppose. I did my research. :slight_smile:

I trust Joe since his reviews are in depth and does measurements. Now I question if I should have waiting for his review of the Maxwell before preordering. Joe was correct about the H6 Pro Open and for me all his recommendations have been spot on.

Did you just link a guy who once claimed the turtle beach 700 stealth is the best wireless headset on the market? LOL! That guy is a Goober :D

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #120 of 4,444
I'm still in the camp that believes that there are many "audiophile" headphones that are also great for gaming. But it's so infrequent in my experience that "gaming" headphones end up being good for music.

That being said, as someone whose backed the campaign for the Mobius then the Penrose, I have no doubt that the Maxwell will continue to crush all the other gaming headsets in the market in terms of sound quality. I get the impression that Audeze has narrowed their focus on comfort, build, sound quality, battery life and signal strength more than other features.

Those who aren't audiophiles and are just learning about Audeze probably don't realize how important a product like this is in the industry. It's lowering the barrier-to-entry for great wireless sound, and making that more accessible to gamers. It's unfortunately still a steep price for a lot of people, but innovation breeds competition. People who were looking at something like the Nova Pro Wireless or Astro A50 will really want to look at the Maxwell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back