Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jan 21, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #751 of 4,444
Lol I pop back on and its gotten worse. Some people really need to give their heads a wobble, Are we dealing in conspiracy theories now?. This happens all the time I pay for things and sometimes I can be waiting months longer due to delays. If i weren't happy I would get a refund and go buy another headset. I wouldn't sit on a forum screaming blue murder and grabbing the pitchforks. Look this isn't ideal but they said the PS version will hopefully ship in the next few weeks. As for the Xbox version well let me tell you this. This happens with a lot of Xbox licensed products they can take quite a while to do the certification and there is a backlog right now. The gamedac 2 took 6 months just to receive the Green light. So in short if your not happy then don't continue with the purchase.
Just because peoples view of the situation doesn’t match yours, that doesn’t make them wrong, you right or vice versa.

We are all different after all. Besides nothing here yet is more than just people who have ordered mentioning their disappointment.

I’m expecting it could stay this way on here for a little while. I’m sure it’ll improve though (and be long forgotten) once the headset arrives in people’s hands!

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #752 of 4,444
Just because peoples view of the situation doesn’t match yours, that doesn’t make them wrong, you right or vice versa.

We are all different after all. Besides nothing here yet is more than just people who have ordered mentioning their disappointment.

I’m expecting it could stay this way on here for a little while. I’m sure it’ll improve though (and be long forgotten) once the headset arrives in people’s hands!
This isn't about viewpoints or who is right or wrong. The problem here is simple and so is its solution either wait for your order or don't what point is served by repeatedly complaining about the same thing? The rest of us get it your not happy fair enough. They said from the start that it should be shipping in January. Should being the operative word. All these posts are becoming tiresome. If you have a serious issue about all this you'd be better served contacting the supplier or Audeze direct and sorting it out with them. Problem solved. Endlessly complaining won't change what is going on. It won't get the headset here quicker. I'm annoyed its this way but I've accepted it and moved on.

Jan 21, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #753 of 4,444
I don't expect a discount nor am I asking for one and nor will I cancel my pre-order. But I can also acknowledge this launch has been problematic and being charged for a product with what now appears to just be a real irresponsible guessing game by Audeze about shipping, to even straight up exaggeration, is not a good look either.

It's really starting to look like they wanted the numbers on the books or for whatever other numbers game when really they have had little idea when these are going to ship.

$300 charged for a product with no real shipping date that the company was never honest with is shady.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #754 of 4,444
ok i’ll try to put us back on product discussion. people that have owned the mobius and penrose, how has those compared to the other brands of gaming headset that are big in the market? steel, corsair , logitech, hyper x, etc?

in terms of using them for music , how do they compare to the popular ones in that price range? like sony xm series, bose, etc?

thx

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #756 of 4,444
There are a lot of videos and reviews on the Penrose and Mobius on YT. Also, there's a forum for the Penrose here on Head-Fi that probably already has the answers you're looking for.

Personally, I like Gadgetry Tech on YT. His reviews are super detailed and he has multiple Penrose videos. Also, you can see measurements on rtings.

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #757 of 4,444
There are a lot of videos and reviews on the Penrose and Mobius on YT. Also, there's a forum for the Penrose here on Head-Fi that probably already has the answers you're looking for.

Personally, I like Gadgetry Tech on YT. His reviews are super detailed and he has multiple Penrose videos. Also, you can see measurements on rtings.
I am not too keen on his reviews I am sure he once he said Turtle beach were the best I zoned out. Seems a nice guy though very friendly. Don’t quote me on that I watch alot of reviews and may of misunderstood it was a comparison video I will try and find it.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #758 of 4,444

thx, i know personal experience is subjective on what sounds better. but was interested in people’s opinion on them bc i’ve never had a planar headset.

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #759 of 4,444
ok i’ll try to put us back on product discussion. people that have owned the mobius and penrose, how has those compared to the other brands of gaming headset that are big in the market? steel, corsair , logitech, hyper x, etc?

in terms of using them for music , how do they compare to the popular ones in that price range? like sony xm series, bose, etc?

thx

I can't answer in terms of of gaming, but for music the Penrose and Mobius are a class above Sony or Bose's Bluetooth offerings, especially in terms of resolution and balance. I auditioned both and don't own either because the build quality felt so poor. That's why I'm excited for the Maxwell even as a non-gamer. They seems to have addressed the build quality issues and I expect them to sound even better.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #760 of 4,444

thx
I own the Bose QC35s and the Penrose (have also used the Sony WH-1000XM4). I have found that the Penrose has improved my movie / tv viewing experience (in situations where I do not want to disturb other folks by using speakers) not only due to the superior sound quality, but the low latency, since I'm fairly sensitive to lip-sync issues. I rarely use my bose at home for music / tv / movies at this point. I pretty much use them only on flights due to portability, but with the improved ANC on airpods, I may stop doing that as well.
The biggest issues wrt to the Bose or Sony are going to be the comfort, portability and battery life. The Penrose are certainly bulky and the Maxwell are even heavier (but the weight distribution / structure may wind up making them more comfortable than the penrose).

On the gaming front, I would be interested to hear from other folks. Sound quality is important to me in wireless headsets, so gamer features at that expense are not particularly alluring.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #761 of 4,444
As I said earlier, I wanted to cut the wire and bought Penrose X to replace my Ifi Zen DAC V2+ATH-990z. Before Penrose I tried Steel series Nova 7x - there is literally no place for comparison. Penrose is almost on par with the midfi setup I have and 7x was total meh. I only speak of sound quality - I am not interested in features.
Which also makes me wonder if Maxwell will improve on sound quality given the massive feature improvement and the same price.

Jan 23, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #762 of 4,444

thx

Penrose has been far and away the best audio experience I've ever had on console, probably ever really, when it comes to headphones.

I have over the years had a number of headsets, in the pursuit of either comfort, useability or quality; PS Pulse, PS Platinum, Steelseries Arctis Pro (wired w/gameDAC), Hyper x Cloud 2 and now Penrose.

I currently still have the Penrose and the Cloud 2, and it really is a night-and-day difference between the two in terms of audio quality, but I love the clouds for their comfort and simplistic plug & play, especially useful for the times that Penrose needs to charge (which is fairly often).

In terms of quality the best of these have been the Penrose and Steelseries Pro, but Penrose to me is still a clear winner.

If the Penrose is anything to go by, the Maxwell stands to be really amazing, if it makes the improvements to audio that Audeze are claiming, in addition to the insane 80 hours battery life which for me is the biggest draw by far.

My 2 main concerns at this point about Maxwell are both comfort related:

- at 500g or so, Maxwell is a heavy set, and the Penrose felt weighty enough, so will these be too heavy to be comfortable for longer periods?

- Penrose had some serious issues with fit out of the box, the clamp force was quite strong and the headband padding wasn't all that comfortable either. There were all sorts of DIY efforts made by a lot of users on here, all of which just added cost to an already pricey bit of kit. Hopefully these are addressed with the Maxwell design.

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #763 of 4,444
Penrose has been far and away the best audio experience I've ever had on console, probably ever really, when it comes to headphones.

I have over the years had a number of headsets, in the pursuit of either comfort, useability or quality; PS Pulse, PS Platinum, Steelseries Arctis Pro (wired w/gameDAC), Hyper x Cloud 2 and now Penrose.

I currently still have the Penrose and the Cloud 2, and it really is a night-and-day difference between the two in terms of audio quality, but I love the clouds for their comfort and simplistic plug & play, especially useful for the times that Penrose needs to charge (which is fairly often).

In terms of quality the best of these have been the Penrose and Steelseries Pro, but Penrose to me is still a clear winner.

If the Penrose is anything to go by, the Maxwell stands to be really amazing, if it makes the improvements to audio that Audeze are claiming, in addition to the insane 80 hours battery life which for me is the biggest draw by far.

My 2 main concerns at this point about Maxwell are both comfort related:

- at 500g or so, Maxwell is a heavy set, and the Penrose felt weighty enough, so will these be too heavy to be comfortable for longer periods?

- Penrose had some serious issues with fit out of the box, the clamp force was quite strong and the headband padding wasn't all that comfortable either. There were all sorts of DIY efforts made by a lot of users on here, all of which just added cost to an already pricey bit of kit. Hopefully these are addressed with the Maxwell design.
I can tell you, just based on my usage, that wearing the Penrose for extended gaming or movie sessions has been the most comfortable set I have used yet. Came from Gen 3 then Gen 4 A50s, RIGs and Bang and Olufsen Beoplays. 5-6 hrs and zero ear or head fatigue.

Hoping the Maxwells are as comfortable!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back