Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Apr 6, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #2,911 of 4,444
This is far from reality. We have shipped several thousands of Maxwells and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. Considering this is also probably one of the first headsets to offer a lot of new technology. If you look at any of the other wireless headsets (that are almost double the price of Maxwell), they are still using older chipsets that are several generations old. Maxwell on the other hand introduces several new technologies (ANN based Noise removal), new generation wireless chipsets. Almost all these features perform exceptionally well. Wireless range is phenomenal and we have yet to hear of any dropouts or wireless issues.
It has dual end points for mixing, Xbox integration, Embedded Atmos licenses for Xbox etc. We have even added additional features like IOS app, that was not in the original product spec.

Here s an example of the firmware updates for Apple HomePods.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208714

Maxwell has 8 different audio paths and is a very complicated headset. We tested maxwells with quite a few beta testers before release and we still new features (that have not been released yet) with our Beta testing group. The number of issues reported on Maxwell at the moment is very low compared to any product with similar feature set.

that said, we build these for our customers and want them to be happy with the product. We will continue to introduce new features and make improvements to the product.
Fair points. Let me state first and foremost, I am a big fan of your headphones and brand, I was just taken aback by all the reports of issues here and on Reddit. This headset costs the equivalent of $390 if I convert my local currency to dollars, so I started feeling like perhaps I should hold off and let you guys work out the issues. But as per a lot of the above posts by forum members, it seems like things are mostly stable at this point.

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #2,913 of 4,444
While I'm definitely pissed that I'm four mouths post pre order and no shipping date in sight, when promo articles said they would ship weeks of last year, I do see Audeze is trying and working on things. They just need to learn to manage expectations better. Better to under promise and over deliver than the reverse.

But I don't see a better option in the wireless space. I will not compare these to wired cans. That's just not even in the correct conversation. Looking forward to my pair, while at the same time having a disappointed chip on my shoulder.

Sorry for DP but couldn't get the other quote to play nice in my previous reply.

I feel lucky to have gotten a Maxwell PS, I didn't pre-order until February once Audeze had confirmed enough detail, but it's fair to say that the whole launch was handled badly. I know I've banged on this drum before, but the Penrose had an absolutely shambolic launch, and the Maxwell launch was practically step-for-step the exact same again - and I have to ask why lessons were not learned the first time around.

Even just announcing Maxwell with no defined date would have allayed expectations immediately, and then Audeze has complete control of the timeline if they have yet to define anything. Alas, it's too late now of course, but I hope that Audeze at least makes sure that the next time they do this, the learnings from these 2 launches are taken into account.

Personally, I'm not really an 'audiophile' in the technical sense, I have no idea about that side of it, but I do appreciate great sound, and the Penrose opened my eyes (ears?), but it had its faults. Maxwell is, IMO, better than the Penrose in every conceivable way (except for dual wireless + BT). Sounds better, feels better on even with the awkward headband settings and extra weight, built to last - it feels like a complete product in every sense of the word.

Better still, Audeze is still working on it from the FW side, so over time I expect it will only improve. All this is to say, that chip on your shoulder should hopefully fade into distant memory within a few days of owning the Maxwell :smile_phones:

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #2,914 of 4,444
Yes, I dit it, that was my first thing to do, and update the firmware. Sadly the thing is repeatable, its 100% a faulty driver.
I agree with you otherwise, I like its sound very much, thats why I asked for a replace, and not a refund.
Hopefully my next pair will be a flawless one.
Well I've got my second pair, and I think this is faulty too. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing: The sound from this is like, its oscillating. Like, the music comes from a ventilator's fan. I dont know how should I describe this. Its like its distorting like hell or something like that. Am I right in assuming that, this is not an intended operation either?

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,915 of 4,444
It's worth keeping in mind that issues are going to be amplified because people who don't have issues don't really have as much to say. Personally I've had zero issues since the last firmware update, and I've been happily using the Maxwell 3-4 hours every weekday since I got it.
Same! After I updated to the latest firmware, I have had zero issues and love these even more than my Penrose if that’s possible. Just a joy to use every day with games, movies and music. I realize some people may have valid issues but for my use cases, it’s perfect.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #2,916 of 4,444
Apr 6, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #2,917 of 4,444
Not at all, and more specially since you won't get simultaneous audio with that setup anyway. But even with USB-C plus bluetooth simultaneous I notice no degradation.

Apr 7, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #2,919 of 4,444
Has anyone tried the Xbox version with Apple TV 4K? Does Atmos work like that? 🤔
(I wanted to test this myself, when I got them, but I’m in Europe and still waiting for them to be available)

For movies/tv, you will need specific Apple/Beats headphones for Atmos to work with Apple TV 4K.

Maxwell can be used on Xbox or Windows with Atmos media. Series S would be the cheapest play if you don't care about gaming. Audeze uses that setup at shows.

Apr 7, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,922 of 4,444
So, if I wanted to place an order for the PS version, where do we think is the best place to do so? I'm in the US.

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #2,923 of 4,444
So, if I wanted to place an order for the PS version, where do we think is the best place to do so? I'm in the US.
I ordered the PlayStation version from headphones.com on Tuesday and got them today. DM customer support to see if they have any units left, last I checked they had a couple of units left when I placed my order.

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #2,924 of 4,444
Has anyone got these to work with an iPad via USB? I plugged the USB dongle and the USB cable into my iPad (10th gen) and neither of them worked to play sound through the headphones. They work perfectly with my PC with both USB inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back