Audeze lcdx amp help
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

duncr2

New Head-Fier
Hi, any help appreciated. Im using audeze lcdx, with a naim headline 2, powered by a hi cap, fed from a nac52 pre. The issue i have is a very light low bass, which was similar when i heard the trilogy 931 as an alternative.
The presentation through my speakers is quite warm with real chest thumping bass, but this is missing from the lcdx.
I'm guessing a better headamp might be the answer, but equally i eas suprised how close the trilogy was given its reviews.

Many thanks

Jun 25, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 4
My experience with the LCD-X is that its bass is very tight, punchy and accurate, that can be some of the very best headphone bass, period, when called for.

I am not familiar with any of those amps. The LCD-X, for a planar is very easy to drive. Very easy. Any decent amp should do the trick when it comes to bass output. Perhaps what you need is something like the iFi iCan series with Bass Boost. I find the effect to be very well done. Nice increase in perceived 'warmth and thump' but still with restraint and high fidelity.

Highest of recommendations for this amp with the LCD-X.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-ican/

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 4
I had the LCD-X for a couple of years. I liked the Eddie Current Black Widow amp the best with it. Other amps were the Schiit Mjolnir (version 1) and the Cavalli Liquid Carbon (but a little too dark for me).

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 4
I had the LCD-X for a couple of years. I liked the Eddie Current Black Widow amp the best with it. Other amps were the Schiit Mjolnir (version 1) and the Cavalli Liquid Carbon (but a little too dark for me).

Just ordered the Massdrop version of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon for this reason. Right now I've been using a Schiit stack (Magni 2 with a Modi 2 Uber and EITR USB to SPDIF converter) with my LCDX's which has been successful. The LCDX's are plenty easy to drive, but the do seem to like power if you have it to give. I recently listened to them with a balanced cable via the Schiit Jotenheim and a Bifrost multibit DAC. This was extra special. Great detail, depth of soundstage (LCDx lacks a wide soundstage) and bass extension...so much going on! Hard to know what was the key piece, but I suspect the multibit DAC. I'd recommend this combo and the venerable Schiit Magni/Modi combo as the less expensive option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back