Audeze LCD3, Gungnir, Mjolnir - Persistant Hiss Problem
Sep 6, 2015 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tin

New Head-Fier
Hey i am having a really annoying hiss. I am pretty sure it has something to do with my ground but not sure what to do.  I have the LCD 3 with Schiit gungnir/mjolnir. Have it plugged into a furman m8x2 surge protector which is supposed to help with ground noise but i still hear it. The funny thing is the hiss is not there when i first listen for about 15-20 mins but then it pops up. I have tried different sockets and it seems to help but the location really wouldn't work for me long term.

Is there anything i can do at this point? maybe a APC or something to clean the line?

I am using a Macbook pro 15 as my source. But hiss is there when i change inputs on the DAC.

thanks for any advice

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Can you describe the his a little better? high or low pitch, does it sound like a tone or more like white noise/static, does it change with the position of the volume knob, have you tried swapping in other gear...

If the hiss appears after 15 minutes, if you shut off the amp then back on right away is the hiss present or does it take another 15 minutes?

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 7
Its a low hum like a static noise, not effected by volume knob, present even when i have it to zero position. Does not get louder if i make the volume louder.  I have a modi/magni setup and does not have this problem.  After it appears i have to shut the amp off for a few hours and then only does it go away. If i turn it back on right away or even a few minutes it's still there. 

i also just noticed its only on the right channel not on the left.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 7
So the noise is coming from your amp, and appears after it has warmed up (since it disappears after it cools back down). I highly doubt this is a power issue, more likely one of the output devices on the amp is kaput. Send an email to Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back