AUDEZE LCD XC
Oct 1, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #4,021 of 4,158
Thanks for your impressions! Btw, that seems really loud to me. I could see peaks at 0.1-0.250W, but 1W with these closed backs should be making your ears bleed because of how efficient they are. At 0.001W, they can reach 100dB.

I won't disagree about having an amp that can deliver plenty of current and improve sound quality. I have no doubt they scale nicely with better and more powerful amps.

So I'm guessing you don't use your Sony's much anymore?
I want to correct what I said earlier so as to not mislead anyone. In the Audeze LCD Users Guide on their website (I will include a link) they say recommended amp power: 1-4 watts, not recommended power. There is a difference. The pic is a snip of that page in the Users Guide.

Audeze LCD Users Guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nhrOGVh3y0krft1OguEBOmAzkQPq4pWp/view

Attachments

• Audeze specs from Users Guide.JPG
    Audeze specs from Users Guide.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 1, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #4,022 of 4,158
Oct 1, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #4,024 of 4,158
I'm considering the 2021 XC as my closed back, replacing my Z1R's. I wish there were more comparisons made on the 2021 revision.

On paper, it sounds like it's what I'd want, but I'm somewhat worried that the XC isn't the best option for just listening and immersion? For example, the Z1R's are amazing for chilling in bed and just getting lost in the music, but sometimes their bass bleeds into the mids, or the treble gets too wonky.

I'm sure they're also great for gaming, but I'm curious if the XC can be used outside of mastering and analyzing for "let's just forget the world and enjoy the music"?

Anyone have the new 2021 and use them more for leisure than work?
Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, I'd like to lie in bed with my closed backs, as well as have decent enough sound stage and imaging (but don't have to be amazeballs, it's a compromise with closed backs).

I'm also considering the Denon 9200 as viable option. Seems like the 9200 doesn't master any one thing, but does everything very well. And the XC seems to be a great option as well for similar reasons.
I like both the XC and the D9200, but in your case I would try the Denon first, mainly because of the weight issue.

Oct 2, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #4,025 of 4,158
If you want to lie in bed with head on pillow I agree with tjdub, not likely going to work for you. The cups on LCD-XC are big. And yes these headphones are heavier than z1r by 180 grams or so, even if the 2021 model is lighter then its predecessors. On my medium sized head and neck the extra weight does not bother me, even with long sessions, but YMMV.
I find that a soft pillow makes the LCD-XC comfortable when lying in bed :). Also comfortable when stretched out in my recliner chair. This is how I take the weight off my neck.

Oct 4, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #4,026 of 4,158
Cardas Clear Light cable first impressions vs Audeze LCD-XC 2021 stock SE cable...

Got this Cardas cable to go from a Jotunheim 2 (which is on order) balanced to LCD-XC 2021. I am currently burning in the cable using an adapter made by Corpse Cable. The cable I got is 2.5 meter version purchased new. Awhile back when I was inquiring with Cardas they said allow 100 hours of signal through cable before critiquing cable. After a few hours the cable is already opening up. The stock cable connections were treated with Furutech Nano Liquid and I did the same with the Cardas.

Initial impressions:
* Has approx. 1 db less bass from around 120hz and below (I use EQ so I just bumped this region up to compensate). Does feel like the Cardas has a tad less slam or punch but is a bit more defined in the bass region.
* Stock cable is not microphonic. The main part of the Cardas cable is not microphonic but the split (thin pigtails) to the headphone is a bit microphonic. Since I am not moving much when listening because I am at a desk it does not effect my experience but others may have issue with this.
* Separation much better with Cardas Clear Light. I can easily pick out and separate all sounds where the stock is more blended together.
* Timbre sounds a bit more correct with Cardas
* Midrange (vocals and instruments) are more detailed and accentuated (like that entire midrange region is bumped up 1 db or so), not more forward though.
* Overall the Cardas cable is offering more resolution across the entire frequency spectrum. This is not night and day but is obvious.
* Soundstage feels a bit more open then stock. I think this is because the Cardas is a tad more neutral in tuning compared to the stock. Stock cable is warmer.

For me personally the first two points above are the only downsides I am hearing, the rest are improvements over the stock. Then again the stock cable and headphones did sound closed in until after sometime. The Cardas cable can also change.

Attachments

• Cardas Clear Light with SE adapter.jpg
    Cardas Clear Light with SE adapter.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #4,027 of 4,158
Update on the Cardas Clear Light cable. After another 5 or so hours of use I have noticed the following:

* bass has attenuated by .5 db approx. Which means now is close to stock but a bit more detailed.
* The Cardas offers a blacker back ground.
* I noticed that while instruments are playing the detail or micro detail and decay is much better with the Cardas.

So far I come away with the Cardas Clear Light is clearly better sonically then the stock $149 Audeze cable. I got lucky, these cables were purchased from an authorized Cardas dealer that also sells on eBay. This means Cardas will warranty the cable for life. Retail is $440 for these cables, they only costed me $170 ($191 with tax and shipping). Seller is asking $189, he was willing to sell for $170. They have 4 more for sale if anyone is interested

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2035113580...29EaE7bEAgadDQ%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

Peace

Oct 5, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #4,028 of 4,158
Has anyone done a direct comparison of the older XC and the new 2021 version. I have the older one with the bubinga wood. Im wondering if i should upgrade.
I like the XC but its a bit uncomfortable because its so heavy. I play bass and i like the good bass response and i like the looks of the wood.

Oct 29, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #4,029 of 4,158
The weekend is close, and you're most likely thinking about the same thing as everyone else, music!

It is time to focus on what's most fun and important to us all, and there's no better way to ignore all the noise around you than using a closed back headphone, and today we're reviewing the LCD-XC 2021 master from Audeze!!

This is a headphone with lots of detail, great build quality, sturdy and more comfortable than the previous model, and made to work well for both music listening, but also mixing, mastering, music production and even recording!

Comparisons with 5 other important headphones, as well as pairings with 4 sources included in the full length review we share today~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/10/audeze-lcd-xc-2021-headphones-art-of-planar-monitors.html

Audeze-LCD-XC-Closed-Back-Planar-Magnetic-Headphone-Listening-Mixing-Mastering-Production-Revi...jpg

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #4,030 of 4,158
Picked up a 2021 XC this weekend and am enjoying it quite a bit so far. I've been looking for a closed headphone that can give me a neutral to slightly warm sound signature close to what I get with my ZMF Auteur and Focal Clear, without the leakage for work. I'm not sure the XC fits the sound signature profile I was hoping for, but I'm still liking it quiet a bit. It's much leaner sounding than I anticipated. I've been trying different amps and I think my systems are just not synergistic with planars anymore. I love tube amps and ZMFs usually, so running the XC on a Kenzie OG2 and Ovation has been a mixed bag. They have adequate power, but are a bit too soft/smooth sounding for my liking. I tried the XC on my Holo Cyan PCM in balanced output NOS mode, and that had tighter bass impact, but also got brighter than I would prefer. Over the break this week I want to try my Asgard 3 and RS-08 and see how those fare, having much more power than any amp I've tried thus far. But despite it being lean sounding, there's something there that's keeping me coming back for more. I love the speed and dynamics, as well as the detail. This is an excellent headphone for really peering into the music to identify micro detail. Not quiet the microscope the HD800 is, but not far off either. For those searching for a closed Auteur or Clear, IMO this isn't it....at least for me. But still a really fun headphone. I wish I still had my Pendant SE amp, that thing had much more power than my Kenzie based amps. The RS-08 is a powerhouse though so that will tell me if it's power I need, or just a different amp sound profile.

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #4,031 of 4,158
Picked up a 2021 XC this weekend and am enjoying it quite a bit so far. I've been looking for a closed headphone that can give me a neutral to slightly warm sound signature close to what I get with my ZMF Auteur and Focal Clear, without the leakage for work. I'm not sure the XC fits the sound signature profile I was hoping for, but I'm still liking it quiet a bit. It's much leaner sounding than I anticipated. I've been trying different amps and I think my systems are just not synergistic with planars anymore. I love tube amps and ZMFs usually, so running the XC on a Kenzie OG2 and Ovation has been a mixed bag. They have adequate power, but are a bit too soft/smooth sounding for my liking. I tried the XC on my Holo Cyan PCM in balanced output NOS mode, and that had tighter bass impact, but also got brighter than I would prefer. Over the break this week I want to try my Asgard 3 and RS-08 and see how those fare, having much more power than any amp I've tried thus far. But despite it being lean sounding, there's something there that's keeping me coming back for more. I love the speed and dynamics, as well as the detail. This is an excellent headphone for really peering into the music to identify micro detail. Not quiet the microscope the HD800 is, but not far off either. For those searching for a closed Auteur or Clear, IMO this isn't it....at least for me. But still a really fun headphone. I wish I still had my Pendant SE amp, that thing had much more power than my Kenzie based amps. The RS-08 is a powerhouse though so that will tell me if it's power I need, or just a different amp sound profile.
I have a LCD-XC 2021. Ran it with Schiit Asgard 3 and now Jotunheim 2. I EQ the LCD-XC. Once EQ’ed (bass shelf and to tame 5.8k peak) they sound warmer than stock. After break-in and EQ I love these headphones. No desire to upgrade. Out of the box they are to neutral and thin for me. Also stock (no EQ) to me there is no bass or slam.

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #4,032 of 4,158
I own both 2020 versions of the XC ( Carbon & Bubinga), sold the carbon and keep the Bubinga. I love them for the dynamics, speed and detail as you described, they also known for very aggressive mids and little hot in the treble. I moded them to tame the high mids and treble and use a hybrid amp xDuoo TA 20. This amp will give them a warmer sound and works wonderfully with the XC.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #4,034 of 4,158
I have a pair of 2021 versions that I am getting to where they are perfect for me. Unfortunately my settings would likely not work for you. But you could email Audeze and ask them for the response graph when they tested it. They will need your LCD-XC serial number. This may help you see where to start. When I requested the response graph they emailed it me the next day.
I also have a 21 XC and sold, unfortunately, my XC from 2018. I also bought a RME ADI-2 Pro but I don’t get along with the 5-band EQ of the RME. Would you have a suggestion for me, maybe sharing your settings?

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #4,035 of 4,158
I also have a 21 XC and sold, unfortunately, my XC from 2018. I also bought a RME ADI-2 Pro but I don’t get along with the 5-band EQ of the RME. Would you have a suggestion for me, maybe sharing your settings?
Sure, see attached pic. For reference I like punch/slam, musical/fun experience. Detail retrieval, timbre, separation and sound stage is important but most of all must be fun and engaging. And this does it for me. I am not that found of peaky mid or high frequencies. These EQ settings sound really good to me for Tidal, YouTube (good recordings), Netflix, HBO MAX, etc. This is running LCD-XC 2021 Balanced with a Cardas Clear Light cable to a Schiit Jotunheim 2 amp. DAC is Schiit Modius with a tube line stage/buffer in between. If you look at the pre-amp settings it is set at -15db so you will need a amp with some juice. As I turn the volume up the LCD-XC come alive. Try it out and then if close tune to your liking...

Attachments

• Audeze LCD-XC - Jotunheim 2 EQ settings.JPG
    Audeze LCD-XC - Jotunheim 2 EQ settings.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back