AUDEZE LCD XC
Apr 23, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #3,046 of 4,142
Hi ,

So anyone know any portable amp that is powerful enogh to bring out the best of xc ? I m seriously looking for one. I am always on the move. So a desktop amp is not practical for me. So pls advise. Currently I m using alo cdm for my xc. Thks.

I suggest the O2. That's what I use with my XC and it sounds great. It even sound great with my Clip Zip (Rockboxed) and my FIIO X3ii. So, it's really easy to drive.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #3,047 of 4,142
May 2, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #3,048 of 4,142
Comfort might be better with the supension headband but I do prefer the looks of the previous headband to be honest. Love the retro look it had. Not so much a fan of the perforated holes the new design has. I am planning to order the XC and I will have to live with the newer type of looks I guess.

Does anyone have the carbon fibre headband on their XC's? Could you please share some pictures from different angles? Would really like to see how it looks on the XC. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #3,049 of 4,142
Comfort might be better with the supension headband but I do prefer the looks of the previous headband to be honest. Love the retro look it had. Not so much a fan of the perforated holes the new design has. I am planning to order the XC and I will have to live with the newer type of looks I guess.

Does anyone have the carbon fibre headband on their XC's? Could you please share some pictures from different angles? Would really like to see how it looks on the XC. Thanks!
There pics on the site. I would trade bands if you where closer.

May 5, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #3,050 of 4,142
Hi everyone! I just picked up a pair myself. I’m currently using a Pro-ject HeadBox DS DAC/amp combo box. However, the volume being reset every time you turn it on is starting to drive me crazy. I would like to switch out for something else.

I am connecting to a Windows 10 PC. I would like to keep the price around $1,000 or under for a DAC and amp. I live in Denver, CO and would like something I can order and ship easily.

I began doing a hell of a lot more research and started doing my head in. Was almost ready to pull the trigger on some Schiit gear, but started reading the horror stories about the quality control and customer service, so backed off. I’ve looked at the simple setup of a JDS Labs Element amp and DAC stack, but wonder if I would be selling myself short.

Anyway, I am very much open to suggestions and input!

Thanks!

May 6, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #3,051 of 4,142
Hi everyone! I just picked up a pair myself. I’m currently using a Pro-ject HeadBox DS DAC/amp combo box. However, the volume being reset every time you turn it on is starting to drive me crazy. I would like to switch out for something else.

I am connecting to a Windows 10 PC. I would like to keep the price around $1,000 or under for a DAC and amp. I live in Denver, CO and would like something I can order and ship easily.

I began doing a hell of a lot more research and started doing my head in. Was almost ready to pull the trigger on some Schiit gear, but started reading the horror stories about the quality control and customer service, so backed off. I’ve looked at the simple setup of a JDS Labs Element amp and DAC stack, but wonder if I would be selling myself short.

Thanks!

I have found the XC to be extremely sensitive to source quality, she needs the best front end you can afford. An amp is important but not as critical as for LCD-3, for example. It's a bit over your price range (sorry) but have you looked into the semipro models i.e. Benchmark DAC3 HGC, Mytek Brooklyn, and Grace Design m920. They all have excellent headphone outputs that will push your XC just fine until you can afford a good high-current amp. Plus lots of I/O including excellent USB inputs. And they are all stocked by reputable mail-order stores.

May 6, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #3,052 of 4,142
hudy:

Check out Schiit Audio

May 6, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #3,053 of 4,142
I have found the XC to be extremely sensitive to source quality, she needs the best front end you can afford. An amp is important but not as critical as for LCD-3, for example. It's a bit over your price range (sorry) but have you looked into the semipro models i.e. Benchmark DAC3 HGC, Mytek Brooklyn, and Grace Design m920. They all have excellent headphone outputs that will push your XC just fine until you can afford a good high-current amp. Plus lots of I/O including excellent USB inputs. And they are all stocked by reputable mail-order stores.

I had looked at some of that type of gear, just a bit more than what I want to spend right now. Was hoping for a full setup under 3,000 with the cans. So maybe a bit over the 1000 guide for a DAC and amp

hudy:

Check out Schiit Audio

Thanks, but if you look at my post, you'd see I considered the brand. After reading more and more about them, there just seemed to be way too many people with major quality control issues (and horrible customer service) for me to confidently buy their gear.

May 6, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #3,054 of 4,142

Thanks!

What hardware source are you using?

I use Android, iDevices, and PC. I went with Centrance HiFi M8 with XLR balanced jack. Never looked back. Plus Head-Fi helped developed it. $700 for new. You can probably get it for half that used.

If your hardware outputs analog (phono 6.3mm, 3.5mm, RCA, OPTICAL) , then others with more experience hopefully chimes in.

FIIO, TEAC, CRACK are some affordable brands.

I'm saving up for Sennheiser HDV820. I like digital because less prone to interference and line noise in my simple setup.

GL

May 6, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #3,055 of 4,142

Thanks!

Like I said in a earlier post, I'm using an O2 (from JDS Lab) with my LDC-XC and they synergize well - I wouldn't spend more for an amp. Recently, I tried an amp in the $1,000-$1,500 range and it didn't give a better sound. If what you need is a Amp/DAC kit, you can't go wrong with a Element Amp/DAC stack. No need to pay more IMHO.

May 6, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #3,056 of 4,142
Anyone who buys a TOTL headphone like the XC then drives it with a cheap DAC and amp is really doing a disservice to those headphones. They would be better off selling the XC and picking up an HD650 if that is their plan. I'm not saying you can't buy an acceptable DAC/amp for $1000 but it will probably be made in China and/or break a lot. Bottom line, all the Audeze headphones need a good front end to sound their best, and if that's not important to you, why buy an Audeze.

May 6, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #3,058 of 4,142

Thanks!
I also find that the XC match up with better sources much better. If you’re trying to stay within budget and don’t mind the idea of portable and home use I’d check out the chord Hugo because it can be purchased discounted now that the 2 has come out. And it matches up very well with the XC’s specially if you plan to travel or bring them to work as well. The Mytek Brooklyn is also great, same with the Naim Dac V1 both work well with the XC but cost over twice your budget. The DAC in the chord mojo works well with the XC’s but at times I feel it could have a bit more power but it definitely brings out some details in a cheap portable Dac alternative. I personally have not had great luck with schiit products, I found Yggdrasil to have unreliable sound and back connectors. Seems you need to leave the Dac constantly running in order for the sound to be acceptable, if the Dac is running cold it can sound off and harsh. Next the back plug connectors wouldn’t always connect well, Schiit did eventually repair the unit taking their time to do so. When warmed up and running it sounds very nice for its price, it is a far cry from my chord Dave, but also much less money. So I can agree schiit is reasonably priced but it comes with some trade offs, oblivious cheaper manufacturing, weird quirk of needing to be constantly running or warmed up for a long time before listening but when functioning they are a good sound for the money. I personally would avoid because I’d rather spend the money to get something that is convenient and built well. Good luck on your hunt,

May 6, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #3,059 of 4,142
I also find that the XC match up with better sources much better. If you’re trying to stay within budget and don’t mind the idea of portable and home use I’d check out the chord Hugo because it can be purchased discounted now that the 2 has come out. And it matches up very well with the XC’s specially if you plan to travel or bring them to work as well. The Mytek Brooklyn is also great, same with the Naim Dac V1 both work well with the XC but cost over twice your budget. The DAC in the chord mojo works well with the XC’s but at times I feel it could have a bit more power but it definitely brings out some details in a cheap portable Dac alternative. I personally have not had great luck with schiit products, I found Yggdrasil to have unreliable sound and back connectors. Seems you need to leave the Dac constantly running in order for the sound to be acceptable, if the Dac is running cold it can sound off and harsh. Next the back plug connectors wouldn’t always connect well, Schiit did eventually repair the unit taking their time to do so. When warmed up and running it sounds very nice for its price, it is a far cry from my chord Dave, but also much less money. So I can agree schiit is reasonably priced but it comes with some trade offs, oblivious cheaper manufacturing, weird quirk of needing to be constantly running or warmed up for a long time before listening but when functioning they are a good sound for the money. I personally would avoid because I’d rather spend the money to get something that is convenient and built well. Good luck on your hunt,

The Hugo1 and the Mojo both have the exact same power output so you can’t differentiate them regarding power. The Hugo is brighter than Mojo due to different things besides power output. Personally I dislike the XC with Chord gear, even the DAVE. I do like it somewhat with the Liquid Gold, but I peg that synergy on the warm and sweet sound of the amp matching well with (my) relatively upper mid/lower treble happy XC.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #3,060 of 4,142
The Hugo1 and the Mojo both have the exact same power output so you can’t differentiate them regarding power. The Hugo is brighter than Mojo due to different things besides power output. Personally I dislike the XC with Chord gear, even the DAVE. I do like it somewhat with the Liquid Gold, but I peg that synergy on the warm and sweet sound of the amp matching well with (my) relatively upper mid/lower treble happy XC.

It’s hard because sound is personal, I find the XC to be very warm so adding a more detailed or to me neutral sounding Dac like the chord gives the XC a more spacious sound. But it’s all personal.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back