AUDEZE LCD XC
Jul 2, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #2,056 of 4,144
I've had my LCD-XC for almost a month now.  I have been exclusively listening at work.  I have about 35 to 40 hours on them.  I have intentionally been listening to the stock single ended cable.  The Dealer I bought them from gave me a loaner WyWires red to see what the difference is in cables.  I will have to say that i noticed a definite difference between the two cables.  I've been doing a quick test over the late afternoon.  I listened to Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere, but Not Here four times.  Completely with the WyWires then all the way through with the stock.  Then again WyWires.  Again Stock.  Then i listened to the first two minutes back and forth.  Then I changed to another Porcupine Tree - Sound of Muzak.

I will have to say that i noticed a clearer presentation, extended highs, and wider soundstage.  It was not subtle.  It was distinct and noticeable.  (Insert "To Me" after every statement, please.)  I am not necessarily happy about it.  LOL!  I haven't finished paying for these cans and the Unison Research SH amp I have on order.  I can't really afford to buy cables at this time.  But at least I now know that I can hear the difference.  (YMMV, To each his own, etc.)

One of the main parts where I can hear the difference is the acoustic guitar strumming in the chorus of each song.  Sounds so natural, bright.  Also the arpeggiated (sp?) picking in the verse of Arriving.  

My gear is 16/44 redbook ripped FLAC>iBasso DX50>Black Dragon Coax>Peachtree Audio Decco65 > 1/4" WyWires Red (or 1/4" stock) cable > LCD-XC with 35 hours.

edit: wrote down wrong kind of Coax cable.  Changed to Black Dragon Coax 

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #2,057 of 4,144
I've had my LCD-XC for almost a month now.  I have been exclusively listening at work.  I have about 35 to 40 hours on them.  I have intentionally been listening to the stock single ended cable.  The Dealer I bought them from gave me a loaner WyWires red to see what the difference is in cables.  I will have to say that i noticed a definite difference between the two cables.  I've been doing a quick test over the late afternoon.  I listened to Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere, but Not Here four times.  Completely with the WyWires then all the way through with the stock.  Then again WyWires.  Again Stock.  Then i listened to the first two minutes back and forth.  Then I changed to another Porcupine Tree - Sound of Muzak.

I will have to say that i noticed a clearer presentation, extended highs, and wider soundstage.  It was not subtle.  It was distinct and noticeable.  (Insert "To Me" after every statement, please.)  I am not necessarily happy about it.  LOL!  I haven't finished paying for these cans and the Unison Research SH amp I have on order.  I can't really afford to buy cables at this time.  But at least I now know that I can hear the difference.  (YMMV, To each his own, etc.)

One of the main parts where I can hear the difference is the acoustic guitar strumming in the chorus of each song.  Sounds so natural, bright.  Also the arpeggiated (sp?) picking in the verse of Arriving.  

My gear is 16/44 redbook ripped FLAC>iBasso DX50>Black Dragon Coax>Peachtree Audio Decco65 > 1/4" WyWires Red (or 1/4" stock) cable > LCD-XC with 35 hours.

Quick question about Wywire cable.
Did you notice any improvements in bass department? Ppl say the hear more slam and low extentions. What do you remember about that?

Thanks

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #2,058 of 4,144
You're not making it easy for me. :I was strongly leaning towards option 1. I have tried the XC on a few occasions now. Once with the BHA1, once with the EF6, and a few times with the Questyle CMA800i. It is the best closed HP I have ever heard from.

Regarding the EC amps, when they say that the A Outlet can be 100V, 120V, 220V, 240V 50/60Hz, what exactly does that mean? Does it mean that all units can select any voltage, so if I pick one up in Toronto, I can use it in Hong Kong? Or is each unit selected upon original purchase so that it can only be that voltage? And finally, I have seen pictures if the PSU; one style has a meter window on it and another is just an all black metal front. Is there any difference between them? Is one better than the other?

Thanks.

Perhaps bring your HD800 over to try with the BHA1? This might be the impetus to go with the bundle if your Senns sound good on that.

Regarding the voltage difference, you can also try a step down transformer -- I don't think it adds any more noise (in fact probably helps with that). The problem is that it's a big brick for a 200w unit...about $200 HKD.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,059 of 4,144
Perhaps bring your HD800 over to try with the BHA1? This might be the impetus to go with the bundle if your Senns sound good on that.

Regarding the voltage difference, you can also try a step down transformer -- I don't think it adds any more noise (in fact probably helps with that). The problem is that it's a big brick for a 200w unit...about $200 HKD.

Believe it or not, I was hoping to test out the BHA1 with the HD 800 at the shop but I was surprised when they didn't have the HD 800 for testing, although they do sell it. So I will have to bring my own next time I go there. 

I am afraid of using step up/down transformers because I am afraid if it fails that somehow the electronic equipment could get the wrong voltage and damage it.

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #2,060 of 4,144
  Believe it or not, I was hoping to test out the BHA1 with the HD 800 at the shop but I was surprised when they didn't have the HD 800 for testing, although they do sell it. So I will have to bring my own next time I go there. 

I am afraid of using step up/down transformers because I am afraid if it fails that somehow the electronic equipment could get the wrong voltage and damage it.

I'm surprised they didn't have a demo unit--but then they probably sold it.

I can understand the concern about frying your equipment. Fortunately I haven't had problems with my step down transformer...but then it's not like I have expensive stuff connected to it.

BTW, if you're interested in a slightly used XC in HK, I'm thinking of letting mine go (to fund something else). Just PM me if interested.

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #2,061 of 4,144
Did you notice any improvements in bass department? Ppl say the hear more slam and low extentions. What do you remember about that?
Thanks

My initial impressions were about the soundstage, clarity, and extension on the highs.  I believe there was more bass impact as well, but I wasn't distinctly listening for it, as the LCD-XC have good bass impact already.  I will do more comparisons tomorrow and let you know.

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #2,062 of 4,144

+1
I bought my first Wywires Red cable for my LCD-X, balanced 4-pin XLR.  It improved the sound so much, I bought a 2nd Red cable for my LCD-XC, with dual 3-pin XLR.  That may sound funny, but it enables my wife and I to listen together with the Schiit Mjolnir amp that will support dual outputs of 4-pin and 3-pin XLR.  In both cases, the Wywires Red blew away the sound from the Audez'e stock cables.  I've heard great things about the Draug cables, and heard one connected to LCD-3 cans at the Nashville meet, but personally I prefer the build quality of the Wywires Red.  They aren't overly expensive, compared to some other after-market cables, and they really do improve the SQ compared to the stock cables, IMHO.

Enjoy the Music!
RCBinTN

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #2,064 of 4,144
+1
I bought my first Wywires Red cable for my LCD-X, balanced 4-pin XLR.  It improved the sound so much, I bought a 2nd Red cable for my LCD-XC, with dual 3-pin XLR.  That may sound funny, but it enables my wife and I to listen together with the Schiit Mjolnir amp that will support dual outputs of 4-pin and 3-pin XLR.  In both cases, the Wywires Red blew away the sound from the Audez'e stock cables.  I've heard great things about the Draug cables, and heard one connected to LCD-3 cans at the Nashville meet, but personally I prefer the build quality of the Wywires Red.  They aren't overly expensive, compared to some other after-market cables, and they really do improve the SQ compared to the stock cables, IMHO.
Enjoy the Music!
RCBinTN

Great to hear!  It will be a while before I can upgrade my cable.  But my ears and your reply definitely makes me want to get WyWires Red.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #2,065 of 4,144
  Great to hear!  It will be a while before I can upgrade my cable.  But my ears and your reply definitely makes me want to get WyWires Red.

Hi LCD-XC folks,

I've been out of country for a few weeks with only my AK120 and Bose QC25 to listen with.  It's great coming home to the wife and the high-end cans!

Catching up with the rig:  AK120ii - AQ Green toslink - Gungnir - Wywires Blue XLR interconnects - Mjolnir - Wywires Red XLR - LCD-XC.  What a rig!  The sound is killer.

Music:  Jethro Tull - Aqualung and Minstrel in the Gallery (24/96 FLAC)
             Kansas - Masque and Leftoverture (16/44.1 FLAC)
             Yes - Fragile and Close to the Edge (24/96 FLAC) - Tribute to Chris Squire, one of the best bass players ever!!  For proof - check out "Long Distance Runaround" and "Heart of the Sunrise."

Net:  The LDC-XC excel with this music.  Love these cans - the LCD cans with the non-Audez'e house sound.  Very nice.

Enjoy your music,
RCBinTN

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #2,066 of 4,144
Hi LCD-XC folks,
Music:  Kansas - Masque and Leftoverture (16/44.1 FLAC)
Enjoy your music,
RCBinTN

I think Kansas - Masque is my all time favorite album.  This was my very first album.  My grandmother bought it for me when I was five.  She got me Masque, and Dark Side of the Moon at KMart at the same time.  I didn't really get into DSotM until I was about 12.  But Kansas was what I grew up with.  I love Masque on the LCD-XC!  Also.  I can't wait to pick up the Steven Wilson Aqualung.  Rubbing pennies together right now, so may be a while on that.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #2,067 of 4,144

My initial impressions were about the soundstage, clarity, and extension on the highs.  I believe there was more bass impact as well, but I wasn't distinctly listening for it, as the LCD-XC have good bass impact already.  I will do more comparisons tomorrow and let you know.

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you.  I have been mainly listening to new music, so there isn't any comparisons to things I am familiar with.  However, the bass extension and kick on my new Keb' Mo' discs is excellent.  Also Trampled Under Foot has great slam.  So I'm going to say it has improvements in Bass extension and depth.  The general consensus on the WyWires thread also agrees.  When I do get more listening time with familiar music, I will give more impressions.  But I wanted to get something back to you.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #2,068 of 4,144
Mine just came in the mail today!  Vegan earpads (don't worry i ate a giant burger for lunch), sounding great so far just off my crappy Dell headphone output on my work computer, can't wait to get them home and see how they sound plugged into the Aune T1 though :)  

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #2,069 of 4,144
Mine just came in the mail today!  Vegan earpads (don't worry i ate a giant burger for lunch), sounding great so far just off my crappy Dell headphone output on my work computer, can't wait to get them home and see how they sound plugged into the Aune T1 though :)  

Why on Earth would anyone worry if you were Vegan? Better for you, better for the planet..............

You should hear a good difference going through the Aune. I love the XC but hate computer audio output.

Congrats on your new cans! :)

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #2,070 of 4,144
Why on Earth would anyone worry if you were Vegan? Better for you, better for the planet..............

You should hear a good difference going through the Aune. I love the XC but hate computer audio output.

Congrats on your new cans! :)

Am I alone in the thought that I would rather run a headphone through a "flagship" cell phone than any computer without a dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back