AUDEZE LCD XC
Apr 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #1,201 of 4,165
I've had my set up of Gugnir -> Mjolnir -> LCD XC for about a week or two now.

I really loved it's sound and used it fairly consistently and ended up getting a 4 pin xlr straight through extension cable from Blue Jeans Cable so I could use it across the room, and more often.

I don't think the cable "messed up" anything because it seems to work as intended, but now when I'm using it it seems very very fatiguing at the old volume I used to listen at, which is about 8 oclock. Its seemingly grating at almost any volume. Extension cable or no extension cable. Both the Mjolnir and Gugnir I bought here and should be fairly burned in.

What do you think could be going on?

I just demoed the same combo for about 2 weeks and decided the Gungnir doesn't play nice with the LCD-XC or LCD-3 and makes for a bad pairing. At first I thought it was just the dynamic nature of the Mjolnir combined with larger volume swings that I wasn't used to, but even after taking more drastic measures than I ever had in the past such as trying with/without replaygain, using the Gungnir plugged into a variety of other amps, and trying different inputs, I couldn't make the DAC/headphone combo work for me.

FWIW, the Mjolnir with other sources or the Gungnir with other headphones was OK, but I didn't buy a Gungnir to use with my old headphones.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,202 of 4,165
I just demoed the same combo for about 2 weeks and decided the Gungnir doesn't play nice with the LCD-XC or LCD-3 and makes for a bad pairing. At first I thought it was just the dynamic nature of the Mjolnir combined with larger volume swings that I wasn't used to, but even after taking more drastic measures than I ever had in the past such as trying with/without replaygain, using the Gungnir plugged into a variety of other amps, and trying different inputs, I couldn't make the DAC/headphone combo work for me.

FWIW, the Mjolnir with other sources or the Gungnir with other headphones was OK, but I didn't buy a Gungnir to use with my old headphones.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

Its interesting you say that because many folks in this thread sing the praises of the Mjolnir Gungnir combination with the XC.

It really seemed incredible for the first few days, and then I left for the weekend, my extension 4pin cable came in from Blue Jeans, and now everything seems different. It's like I have my w5000's again, everything seems kind of grating and painful like the highs are too high so I can't listen to the music as loud as a I used to.

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,203 of 4,165
Its interesting you say that because many folks in this thread sing the praises of the Mjolnir Gungnir combination with the XC.

One person's detail is another person's unlistenable. One person's neutral is another person's analytical. Different strokes for different folks. That's the beauty of it. Nobody has to be wrong! 
beerchug.gif

Communities like Head-Fi and internet reviews are great. Those folks are the main reason why I even tried it instead of going with something more familiar. These things make site-unseen direct from manufacturer purchases and Schiit's entire business model possible. However, when push comes to shove, I trust my own ears over anonymous internet posters when it comes down to the final decision of what stays and what goes. :)

It really seemed incredible for the first few days, and then I left for the weekend, my extension 4pin cable came in from Blue Jeans, and now everything seems different. It's like I have my w5000's again, everything seems kind of grating and painful like the highs are too high so I can't listen to the music as loud as a I used to.

Your experience sounds VERY similar to mine. At some point I plan on trying to do a more complete writeup of all my new toys, but I catalogued my problem in an LCD-3 thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-appreciation-thread/2595#post_10480146

I don't know what you listen to, but I can give you one clear example of where I thought the Gungnir didn't work well for me.
On the opening track of Alison Krauss & Union Station's "So Long So Wrong", there's a little intro bit with banjo before the main vocalist starts singing. Once the singing starts, it's overlaid with the banjo. With the Gungnir, I found the plucking to be hyper-detailed/edgy/accentuated, and once the singing started every time the banjo played it was more forward than the vocalist, almost drowning her out. With the other sources I tried (Violectric V800/Arcam CD72), the vocalist was still the primary focus. To me, the difference on this track is night/day.

I experienced listener fatigue with the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo almost immediately, but I kept thinking it was something else like the Mjolnir's dynamics and the ridiculous range of "loudness" when switching from classical recordings like unacompanied cello to modern pop. It took me the full trial period to find a single track where I could find a track that demonstrated the main problem so easily and convinced me that it wasn't just my inability to manually control a volume dial.

Same problem was exhibited when using Gungnir/Violectric V200. I think I tried Gungnir/Beyerdynamic A1 and had it too, but now I can't remember. Same problem was NOT there when using V800/Mjolnir or with Gungnir/V200/(Beyerdynamic DT770 600 Ohm/Sennheiser 595). For all I know, my particular LCD-3, LCD-XC, and Gungnir were a bit bright in the same region as a sensitive part of my hearing. Source material/quality also changes a lot from person to person and even from track to track. As always, YMMV.

If you haven't already done so, try it again without the extension. I'd be willing to bet the differences are related to the enjoyment factor of new gear vs the introduction of the cable. In my experience, the best way to demo new gear is to do the comparison over days if not weeks. Listen to the entire spectrum of music that you like and then listen to the same things again in the same order on the other set of equipment. If things still strike you as good or bad after that time, it's a pretty safe bet that your brain is fully dialed into the sound that you're getting and that's what your reaction is going to be long term.

P.S. I don't want to get into a huge cable discussion, but IMO Blue Jeans seems to make pretty high quality stuff in terms of solid construction and good parts (I own an HDMI cable). I went with custom-made Mogami cables from proaudiola almost entirely based on price difference from BJC. Outside of non-standard cable designs, I've generally found differences to be in the range of subtle to non-existent vs game changing. Given the reportedly the non-reactive load of the LCD-XC, it shouldn't be a complex headphone to drive either.

May 2, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #1,204 of 4,165
Just picked up my new LCD-XC :D

Compared to LCD-2 rev2 I find the bass is tighter and the overall clarity is much much better. Wider soundstage and better separation. I was very tempted to order the Oppo PM-1 with the HA-1 (if it was released in April), but I became too impatient. Glad I plunked down a couple G's on this (after tax) until Oppo can finally release their amp.

I know I'm gonna get them in the end though. Sorry wallet.

I pretty much know if I'm gonna like a headphone right away, and let me tell you, I like this headphone. Plus it's a closed back design, go figure!

May 2, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #1,205 of 4,165
Hello all:
I decided to check out HeadFi after starting to research new equipment on the web.
Read many posts and learned a lot, also found out there is always someone who is willing to diss anything without listening to it and ignored those kinds of posts.
Bought a Ray Samuels  Predator for use with my iphone and ipad , NAD 3020 and a Woo Wa7 to use with my computer and blueray player.
Upgraded my portable headphones to Audio Technica, my everyday phones to PSB M4U2 and finally as a treat got a pair of Audeze LCD-XC's.
Until now I had only used Sennheiser's and Beyers...nice but the Audeze just were better when I compared them..my ears hear what they hear.
Old headphone amp section (infact the whole amp) died so the Wa7 was needed and it is a ego thing just to behold it...one of my female friends wanted to take it home because it "looks so techy cute".
Part of the way I rated the equipment was by the dealers...how forthcoming were they, easy to deal with and were they really interested in hifi or just going through the motions.
Going to compare the Wa7 DAC to the MYDAC, it will be interesting to see if I can tell the difference with the music I listen to.
Thanks to all for the information and comparisons they were willing to share.
Happy listening.
Art

May 2, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,207 of 4,165
Just picked up my new LCD-XC
biggrin.gif

Compared to LCD-2 rev2 I find the bass is tighter and the overall clarity is much much better. Wider soundstage and better separation. I was very tempted to order the Oppo PM-1 with the HA-1 (if it was released in April), but I became too impatient. Glad I plunked down a couple G's on this (after tax) until Oppo can finally release their amp.

I just got mine as well, and the clarity is indeed pretty striking. I hate to use the cliche, but I am hearing details that I had never heard before, even on some pretty high-end headphones. That said, I have not had a chance to compare results from various amps yet, so can't give details on overall performance. The sound even out of the box, so to speak, is a bit holographic though, as some have noted. Not sure if the lovely extended decay of the LCD 2 is still there or not yet. Must listen more and on better equipment...

May 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,208 of 4,165
As this is a rather long thread to search, I was wondering if anyone could sum up the differences in sound between the LCD-X and the LCD-XC?

May 3, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #1,210 of 4,165
Thanks....I should have just backed up a few posts
redface.gif

May 4, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #1,211 of 4,165
I know it's been brought up before, but anyone else having issues with ears touching the fazor grill? My LCD-2 have the most comfortable ear pads for my ears and they don't touch the grill at all. I like the softer padding on the XC but it seems like the pads are not as deep and the fazor grill is so darn sharp with very thin fabric in front if them. My ears seriously begin to hurt after a while. Anyone have any mods, etc.?

May 4, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #1,212 of 4,165
I know it's been brought up before, but anyone else having issues with ears touching the fazor grill? My LCD-2 have the most comfortable ear pads for my ears and they don't touch the grill at all. I like the softer padding on the XC but it seems like the pads are not as deep and the fazor grill is so darn sharp with very thin fabric in front if them. My ears seriously begin to hurt after a while. Anyone have any mods, etc.?

A lot of discussion on the LCD-3 thread on this, with a bunch of posts from mlxx. General concensus is that while some people may simply be anatomically incompatible with Audeze models with Fazors, the general problem is that clamping force varies quite a bit. Try stretching out the headband. Ears should not touch.

Can read this post and work backwards.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3/9030#post_10496789

May 4, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #1,213 of 4,165
Thanks BeyerMonster!

Edit: Both mods did the trick. Took about 10 seconds to bend the headband and some foam under the ear pad worked like a charm. And yes the headband is staying.

May 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #1,214 of 4,165
Thanks BeyerMonster!

Edit: Both mods did the trick. Took about 10 seconds to bend the headband and some foam under the ear pad worked like a charm. And yes the headband is staying.

Excellent! 
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #1,215 of 4,165

Users who are viewing this thread

Back