AUDEZE LCD XC
Dec 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #346 of 4,158
I'm mostly using my LCD-XC with my GS-Xmk2 and Esoteric K-01, so I agree a good amp and source should improve most headphones. I also use silver XLR interconnects which I'm very happy with.

I've found that the LCD-XCs with Copper interconnects and Copper replacement cable sound much better than with silver (i.e., silver makes them sound too hot in the treble area); on the other hand, the LCD-Xs sound much better with silver cables (i.e., with copper cables they sound a bit too laid back and dark).  It's all about finding the right synergy.  These two Audezes have, to my ears, two completely different sound signatures.

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #347 of 4,158
I've also got some copper RCA interconnects but I use them with my 009 / BHSE. I've used the silver XLR's with that combo but I prefer the RCA's. I might try those RCA's with the GS-Xmk2 along with the LCD-XC, but after I've done that, they'll go back on my BHSE.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #348 of 4,158
I've also got some copper RCA interconnects but I use them with my 009 / BHSE. I've used the silver XLR's with that combo but I prefer the RCA's. I might try those RCA's with the GS-Xmk2 along with the LCD-XC, but after I've done that, they'll go back on my BHSE.

You can always buy another pair of interconnects if the coppers convince you with the LCD-XCs.  By the way, a copper replacement headphone cable (e.g., Moon Audio; ALO Audio) makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE with these headphones.  With Copper all around I love these HPs and think they are simply the best closed HP around...with silver cables the treble can occasionally be piercing to my ears (e.g., the trumpets in Mahler's symphony no. 6 are strident...like two nails being hammered into my ear canals!).

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #349 of 4,158
You can always buy another pair of interconnects if the coppers convince you with the LCD-XCs.  By the way, a copper replacement headphone cable (e.g., Moon Audio; ALO Audio) makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE with these headphones.  With Copper all around I love these HPs and think they are simply the best closed HP around...with silver cables the treble can occasionally be piercing to my ears (e.g., the trumpets in Mahler's symphony no. 6 are strident...like two nails being hammered into my ear canals!).

I use the copper RCA's with the 009 / BHSE because some songs I listen to sound shrilling when using the silver XLR's, but I'll give the copper RCA's a try with my LCD-XC / GS-Xmk2 before I decide to do anything else.

However, I also have and use the HD-600's with the GS-X which I'm very happy with. I use a 4 pin XLR silver custom cable with the 600's which I think improves the SQ quite a lot over the stock cable.

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #350 of 4,158
I use the copper RCA's with the 009 / BHSE because some songs I listen to sound shrilling when using the silver XLR's, but I'll give the copper RCA's a try with my LCD-XC / GS-Xmk2 before I decide to do anything else.

However, I also have and use the HD-600's with the GS-X which I'm very happy with. I use a 4 pin XLR silver custom cable with the 600's which I think improves the SQ quite a lot over the stock cable.

if the HD-600s sound anything like the HD-650s, which I own, they will have that famous dark veil that will be lifted by the silver cables and they will sound amazingly good.  With copper, they will sound kinda murky and, at least for me, not good with classical music.  I find the LCD-XCs with silver to be shrill with classical.

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #351 of 4,158
LCD-XC Vs. LCD-2 Dynamics:

This additional observation on the classical music I love so much.  

when listening to an orchestral piece that goes from soft to loud over the course of a minute or two (Ravel Bolero, Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no. 2, Rhespighi Pines of Rome) The LCD-2 will go from soft and lush to louder fuller and more lush gently yet still in an exciting and engaging way.  I have noticed that when adjusted for the same starting volume levels, the LCD-XC will become somehow louder at the peak and often require me to turn it down just a bit.  I am not sure this is an absolute measurable increase in dynamic range but rather a function of the somewhat more forward tonality of the LCD-XC.  It is as if the LCD-2 is more laid back and the increase in volume tends to sort of surround you and almost increases it's presence whereas in the LCD-XC the increased volume of the dynamic is more directly on top of you or right out in front or somehow occupying less space.  Very hard to describe but the effect is definitely there.  

That makes it sound like a negative on the XC but I also feel I am hearing more grainularity and detail from the XC overall so perhaps more of a trade off or a feature of the design.  For example I just heard a horn player take a breath between soft phrases during the Saturn movement of Holt's Planets that I am quite sure I have never heard before - just incredible.  These headphones are doing what all amazing new headphones do which is to allow me to go through my entire collection of music and hear it all again as if for the first time - what an incredible thing to get to do.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #352 of 4,158
if the HD-600s sound anything like the HD-650s, which I own, they will have that famous dark veil that will be lifted by the silver cables and they will sound amazingly good.  With copper, they will sound kinda murky and, at least for me, not good with classical music.  I find the LCD-XCs with silver to be shrill with classical.

When I got the HD-600's, I asked the place I bought them from whether they could send me the HD-650 aswell, which they did. ( I explained I'd be sending one of them back ) Out of the two I much preferred the HD-600 because I found as you said, the HD-650's sounded veiled, whereas the HD-600 didn't. To what I can recall the HD-650 had a stronger bass than the HD-600, but to me all the instruments with the HD-600 sound just right with a lot better detail than the HD-650, and with using the custom 4 pin XLR silver cable, it gives the 600's even more detail without making them sound bright.

I haven't compared the HD-600 to the LCD-XC yet but I 'll have plenty of time to do that.

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #353 of 4,158
  LCD-XC Vs. LCD-2 Dynamics:

This additional observation on the classical music I love so much.  

when listening to an orchestral piece that goes from soft to loud over the course of a minute or two (Ravel Bolero, Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no. 2, Rhespighi Pines of Rome) The LCD-2 will go from soft and lush to louder fuller and more lush gently yet still in an exciting and engaging way.  I have noticed that when adjusted for the same starting volume levels, the LCD-XC will become somehow louder at the peak and often require me to turn it down just a bit.  I am not sure this is an absolute measurable increase in dynamic range but rather a function of the somewhat more forward tonality of the LCD-XC.  It is as if the LCD-2 is more laid back and the increase in volume tends to sort of surround you and almost increases it's presence whereas in the LCD-XC the increased volume of the dynamic is more directly on top of you or right out in front or somehow occupying less space.  Very hard to describe but the effect is definitely there.  

That makes it sound like a negative on the XC but I also feel I am hearing more grainularity and detail from the XC overall so perhaps more of a trade off or a feature of the design.  For example I just heard a horn player take a breath between soft phrases during the Saturn movement of Holt's Planets that I am quite sure I have never heard before - just incredible.  These headphones are doing what all amazing new headphones do which is to allow me to go through my entire collection of music and hear it all again as if for the first time - what an incredible thing to get to do.

These headphones are doing what all amazing new headphones do which is to allow me to go through my entire collection of music and hear it all again as if for the first time - what an incredible thing to get to do.

One of the MANY reasons I love em so very much!
and WELL PUT SIR!

I just played the XRCD of Holst The The Panets through my ALO Studio Six and LCD-X's - then decided to see how the XC's did in comparison.
I know, because of simple physics, that the XC is going to sound more closed-in than the open-backs. But my God - just like the Mad Dogs, 
and then the Alpha Dogs did to me (as I had them first - and they were the first closed ortho-dynamic I heard do this) these cans let the music LOOSE!

Now there are people who call comments like this vague and all sorts of BS - but this is based on feelings when reacting to music!
Sure, I could also say that I could discern 1st from 2nd violins, that the soundstage was surprisingly wide and deep, and that the micro and macro-dynamics were more crisp and detailed than anything I've heard in this headphone category - plus their midrange is so lush without being congested!
So many cans, to my ears, muck up the lower midrange - causing things to burp a little..

NOT the XC.
I'm havin' a BLAST

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #354 of 4,158
  No one should forget that the headphone is just one piece of equipment at the end of a long path.  If your other equipment is very good, it will make any headphone you try (within reason) sound better and, in the process, narrow the differences between them to some degree.   

also WELL PUT

It's great to have more efficiency in the XC (and the X)  - allowing lesser amps to drive them,
but man, when mated with a well-made, soul-infused, powerful tube amp...

WHOA

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #355 of 4,158
  That cable looks pretty ugly with the XC.

you mean this one?
the Double Helix Compliment??

They're much nicer looking in-person.
But, to be brutally honest, I'm wacky enough where, at this level, 
I don't care much about aesthetics when it comes to the accompanying cables.
Though the carbon fiber is a nice touch, which you really can't see here.

What I'm hunting for are the most engaging musical experiences at home.
Of course I wouldn't take these on the road - I got the Cardas Clear for that.

But thus far, w/ these cables I've achieved the best control of the lower octaves,
most coherent midrange, and plenty of sparkle in the highs.
Plus they've got a very natural sound when mated with the XC's. Acoustic spaces
are recreated with incredible detail and nuance. They've impressed the hell outta me.

and sorry for all the individual posts fellas!

I'm on my iPad right now and its a bit of a b___.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #356 of 4,158
  you mean this one?
the Double Helix Compliment??

They're much nicer looking in-person.
But, to be brutally honest, I'm wacky enough where, at this level, 
I don't care much about aesthetics when it comes to the accompanying cables.
Though the carbon fiber is a nice touch, which you really can't see here.

What I'm hunting for are the most engaging musical experiences at home.
Of course I wouldn't take these on the road - I got the Cardas Clear for that.

But thus far, w/ these cables I've achieved the best control of the lower octaves,
most coherent midrange, and plenty of sparkle in the highs.
Plus they've got a very natural sound when mated with the XC's. Acoustic spaces
are recreated with incredible detail and nuance. They've impressed the hell outta me.

and sorry for all the individual posts fellas!

I'm on my iPad right now and its a bit of a b___.

Dang, that cable with all options can cost as much as LCD-XC, I am jealous :)

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #357 of 4,158
I was going to get either the SR-009 or 007 ear pads to use with my LCD-XC, but since putting the new headband on, my LCD is so comfortable I'm not sure I'll bother. IMO the Stax ear pads feel and are better quality though, so I'll have a good think.
I actually like the look of the Double Helix Compliment cable, sooner have it in black though.

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #358 of 4,158
I was going to get either the SR-009 or 007 ear pads to use with my LCD-XC, but since putting the new headband on, my LCD is so comfortable I'm not sure I'll bother. IMO the Stax ear pads feel and are better quality though, so I'll have a good think.
I actually like the look of the Double Helix Compliment cable, sooner have it in black though.

I do too. I should take a better pic - that was just w/ my iPhone 4S
Black would be sexy

DAMN - using that word again when it comes to gear,
man we're sick
biggrin.gif

Dang, that cable with all options can cost as much as LCD-XC, I am jealous :)

REALLY??
I ask because I still follow this reviewers rule Harry (Pearson) gave me:
I don't wanna know how much something costs when I get it for review initially,
as that CAN affect your view of the component.

Though some of these guys just tell you right off the bat!
I gotta actually ask them often NOT to tell me!!

But I am SO impressed w/ these cables on the LCD-X, XC, and even my LCD-3's!
And I run Cardas Clear (most of the time) and my trusty Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 w/ adapter kit,
WyWires prototype (very good, helped get them into this market space - they're friends and good people),
and ALO Green Line cables for on-the-go.  So I got a good amount of Audeze cables to compare...

Thankfully Peter at Double Helix didn't discuss MSRP w/ me at all - and I got Ethan Wolf (forgot his Head-Fi handle)
to thank for suggesting these!

They brought a whole new level of dynamic SLAM, and midrange clarity to my LCD-XC's, not to mention micro and macro-dynamic detail
and transient attack like MAD!!  Havin FUN

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #359 of 4,158
Last night I only did a short comparison between my LCD-XC and HD-600 because that's all it needed. Using them both with my GS-Xmk2 / K-01, the HD-600 has always sounded very good, but the LCD-XC just sounded amazing, in fact I'm beginning to enjoy them almost as much as my 009's. Obviously with them being closed headphones, that's how the music sounded, but boy am I so impressed. After seeing the Double Helix Compliment2 OCC Copper cable, I might eventually get one ( 4 pin XLR ) , but I'm not sure what kind of an improvement ( if any ) that cable might have on the stock cable(s). My home decorating is getting done before I buy anymore audio gear though.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #360 of 4,158
Last night I only did a short comparison between my LCD-XC and HD-600 because that's all it needed. Using them both with my GS-Xmk2 / K-01, the HD-600 has always sounded very good, but the LCD-XC just sounded amazing, in fact I'm beginning to enjoy them almost as much as my 009's. Obviously with them being closed headphones, that's how the music sounded, but boy am I so impressed. After seeing the Double Helix Compliment2 OCC Copper cable, I might eventually get one ( 4 pin XLR ) , but I'm not sure what kind of an improvement ( if any ) that cable might have on the stock cable(s). My home decorating is getting done before I buy anymore audio gear though.

I feel you on needing to spend $$ on our house, as opposed to more audio gear for now!!
But I will say this: I have a bunch of cables for my Audeze cans - and I've heard far more than I've kept (contrary to many opinions, there are reviewers who care enough to truly support this community by paying for things, LOL - though I'm NOT pointing fingers anywhere...) - but the Double Helix has brought about such drastic sonic changes that I've been doing more listening than geeking out.
I think that might be the best compliment I can pay the Compliment!

It took that out-of-the-box soundstaging, thanks to their new Fazor technology, to new heights, showing me just how damn good closed cans can sound! Before the Mad Dogs (and now the XC's & Alpha's - XC's being my fav) - I owned closed cans for listening out in public and around my wifey when writing (+ DJing) - but never thought I could use them for reference, or, more importantly, didn't know just how lost in the music I could get with em...
I am going to s/w Peter at Double Helix about making some for my Alpha Dogs! 

They've brought new sparkle to the entire frequency spectrum on my XC's - enough where I need to spend more time with them in order to formulate some language that doesn't just read like poetic ramblings!
That said - I can't WAIT to have the XC's w/ me for Xmas at the in-laws!

Gonna bring my ALO Pan Am for that - and last night I tried the pairing (w/ my Cardas Clear cables - as they're still my reference) and it was splendid!
NICE to have far more headroom, given the higher efficiency of the LCD-X and XC's!! These cans + the Pan Am combo was so revealing that when I changed the power cord (my Kubala Sosna Emotion was dragging the damn amp off my desk, LMAO) to my Nordost Blue Heaven (far less expensive then the Kubala) I could hear it instantly - and I preferred it thankfully! The overall gestalt of the music punched with greater authority, and the midrange sweetened up, and by that I don't mean coloration, but sweet in terms of its allure.

DAMN FUN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back