AUDEZE LCD XC
May 12, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #1,276 of 4,142
Interesting thread. I think the XCs are a wonderful set of headphones and compliment the Audeze line very well.  I never played my LCD3s at work since they leaked too much music, but that's not a problem with the XCs.  Besides, all technical jargon aside, the XCs are a fun/lively set of headphones to listen to at work -- great for playing the top 100s on Spotify.   At home, I'll be more mellow and switch back to the 3s and relax.  

May 12, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #1,278 of 4,142
yes, the mids are wonderful... bass and highs are equally as impressive -- you just have to know going in that these are not a neutral set of headphones.  My co-workers love the sound of the XCs, but can't put-up with the weight.  I have no problem with weight, but found them to be more comfortable with the slightly firmer leather free microsuede pads.  The traditional leather pads were too soft for me and would compress to the point of my ears touching the inner mesh.  I prefer the microsuede pads on all my headphones anyway, regardless of weight.   

May 12, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #1,279 of 4,142
yes, the mids are wonderful... bass and highs are equally as impressive -- you just have to know going in that these are not a neutral set of headphones.  My co-workers love the sound of the XCs, but can't put-up with the weight.  I have no problem with weight, but found them to be more comfortable with the slightly firmer leather free microsuede pads.  The traditional leather pads were too soft for me and would compress to the point of my ears touching the inner mesh.  I prefer the microsuede pads on all my headphones anyway, regardless of weight.   

I personally love the way they envelop my ears; weight is of no concern to me as well. I am considering the suede pads just for the heck of it...

May 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #1,280 of 4,142
  I am using the Zana Deux with the XC at work. I am kicking myself for not using this combo earlier. Speed is truly remarkable. Plenty of detail and those mids to die for. 

+1.
Tubes is the way to go with XCs
Sylavania Bad Boys & Ken Rad 6SN7s are my two favorite ones in the Pinnacle.

May 12, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,282 of 4,142
Thanks for the info. Do these tubes work in the ZD?

Nope. ZD uses two rectifiers and a 6SL7 driver.
ECBA is the one which has 6SN7 as the driver tube 

May 14, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #1,284 of 4,142
I have a similar line of thinking as you i.e. the LD should theoretically have a higher output impedance considering it is built to drive predominantly high impedance headphones. When I paired it with the XCs, I was using the stock power tubes and a pair of mismatched 6AK5 driver tubes (one Raytheon and the other label barely discernible). The sound is not ideal but it sure sounds better than through the much more powerful and theoretically suitable Lyr. I'm baffled as well.

I have owned the LDMKIII and tried to drive the LCD-2's with it. The LD is a very euphonic amp. Super lush and tubey. I love it with Senn 650's, but it was absolutely under powered for the Orthos. It sounded lovely at very low volumes and with very non-dynamic music, but ask it to play loud or, more importantly, dynamic passages and it crapped out pretty quickly.

Compared to the LD, the Lyr will come off as cold and analytical, especially with the stock tubes. That says more about the syrupy nature of the LD than it does about the Lyr. I would strongly suggest getting yourself a pair of Amperex Orange Globe tubes (inexpensive and readily available on eBay) for the Lyr and give it another whirl. They won't make it sound like the LD, but they will return some of than tube warmth.

May 14, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,285 of 4,142
The sound wasn't as full bodied as expected from a 6W amp into a relatively sensitive and low impedance headphones. I mean, if the amp was muscular, it would have a tight fisted grip on the transducers and really control the bass and give it a full bodied sound. I don't hear this with the Lyr even with different tubes. Or maybe the Lyr is not fully broken in yet.

And FWIW, when an amp has a properly tight grip on the bass, it often manifests itself as a LESS 'full bodied' sound in that there is greater control and less bloat and boom. An OTL tube amp driving the orthos would definitely have a slower, flabbier, but boomier bottom end. I'm on record as saying the X's are not a good match with the Lyr because of an extra thick midrange, but the bass and dynamic punch with both the X & XC are very nice from the Lyr, IMO.

As to your question about the M&G stack, I find it very good with the X's, but less so with the XC's...tho I think that has more to do with the upper midrange edge from the XC than it does with the amp since I have the same issue with the Woo WA22.

May 14, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #1,286 of 4,142
And FWIW, when an amp has a properly tight grip on the bass, it often manifests itself as a LESS 'full bodied' sound in that there is greater control and less bloat and boom. An OTL tube amp driving the orthos would definitely have a slower, flabbier, but boomier bottom end. I'm on record as saying the X's are not a good match with the Lyr because of an extra thick midrange, but the bass and dynamic punch with both the X & XC are very nice from the Lyr, IMO.

As to your question about the M&G stack, I find it very good with the X's, but less so with the XC's...tho I think that has more to do with the upper midrange edge from the XC than it does with the amp since I have the same issue with the Woo WA22.

Many thanks for the clarification. I also suspect the Lyr may not be entirely broken in yet. Or maybe I just prefer the bloated bass sound : ) In any case, I am game to try the XC/Lyr pairing again and see if my impressions of it changes. 

May 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #1,287 of 4,142
Many thanks for the clarification. I also suspect the Lyr may not be entirely broken in yet. Or maybe I just prefer the bloated bass sound : ) In any case, I am game to try the XC/Lyr pairing again and see if my impressions of it changes. 

I went from the LD MKIII to a Woo Audio WA6SE and felt a similar sense of remorse about losing that rich, lush (inaccurate) tube sound. It took me a while listening to lots of different stuff to fully come to grips with the fact that the LD amp was terrific but very colored in its presentation. Sadly, I have never found an amp quite that 'tubey' that has the current needed to really drive the Orthos well. One that you might try is Schiit's very own Vali. Not as lush as the LD, but it has some if the magic bass euphoria. It's not going to drive the XC's to ear bleeding levels nor will it compete with the muscle amps on dynamic passages, but it will do both much better than the OTL LDMKIII...and it's $120!

May 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,288 of 4,142
I went from the LD MKIII to a Woo Audio WA6SE and felt a similar sense of remorse about losing that rich, lush (inaccurate) tube sound. It took me a while listening to lots of different stuff to fully come to grips with the fact that the LD amp was terrific but very colored in its presentation. Sadly, I have never found an amp quite that 'tubey' that has the current needed to really drive the Orthos well. One that you might try is Schiit's very own Vali. Not as lush as the LD, but it has some if the magic bass euphoria. It's not going to drive the XC's to ear bleeding levels nor will it compete with the muscle amps on dynamic passages, but it will do both much better than the OTL LDMKIII...and it's $120!

I have the Vali and it sounds great with a variety of cans but again it sounded thin with the XC...perhaps I should re-adjust my ears and give it another go..

May 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #1,289 of 4,142
I have the Vali and it sounds great with a variety of cans but again it sounded thin with the XC...perhaps I should re-adjust my ears and give it another go..

It could also be that the XC's just sound thin. There is definitely an upper-midrange/lower-treble edge to them. They also lack the X's full bodied bass, IMO. these are the trade offs I accept to get the benefits of a closed back design.

May 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,290 of 4,142
Just got off the phone with a dealer in Montreal...I should have them in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back