Audeze LCD-XC vs MrSpeakers Ether C Flow
Nov 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kranebrain

Head-Fier
I'm looking at both of these headphones and was hoping someone here has listened to both.  My understanding is the XC is quite heavy while the Ether is light.

But which has better soundstage, bass, clarity, and imaging?  Also (quite important) how is the isolation and sound leakage on both?

Portability is a small but significant factor.

Thanks guys

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 18
I listened to both LCD-XC and Ether-C (regular, not flow) and even had one in each hand during CanJam@SoCal last March. Listening through a $12k DAC/Pre-Amp/2x Mono-Balanced Amp Questyle stack, the LCD-XC has a warmer sound, making the bass, mids, and vocals more lush, but the treble sparkle was more recessed and it was heavier in weight. Listening through the same $12k Questyle stack, the Ether-C (once again, regular, not flow) has a colder sound, making the soundstage wider, imaging cleaner, and was more comfortable than the LCD-XC from both weight and form, but isolation is worse inside and outside, and the design is much simpler with cheaper materials. Portability goes to the Ether-C regular, but not by much, so casing and storage will be a big factor as well, though the Ether-C regular will probably also be less fragile than the LCD-XC in materials and drivers themselves.

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 18
I don't know think any of us can actually provide evidence that one has more fragile drivers than the other, it's just speculation. I have tried the Ether C and own the XC. Build quality is fine on both. Both are large and heavy, but the Ether C seems to be more comfortable to me. Neither is all that portable, unless you really don't mind carrying big headphones around with you.I mostly agree with pbui44's description of the sound.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 18
I don't know think any of us can actually provide evidence that one has more fragile drivers than the other, it's just speculation. I have tried the Ether C and own the XC. Build quality is fine on both. Both are large and heavy, but the Ether C seems to be more comfortable to me. Neither is all that portable, unless you really don't mind carrying big headphones around with you.I mostly agree with pbui44's description of the sound.

It is speculation on the construction of the drivers. Both have their pros and cons, you just have to weigh them yourself on your own preferences.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 18
Just recently bought the lcd XC and after a month of use I sent them back. Massively dissapointed especially since I like Audeze. The big problem is comfort. They weigh so much that no matter how good they sound I can't recommend them to anyone unless they order them with the soft pads (not leather) and a headband mod and even then im not sure if it will justify them. It's sad because the customer service was fantastic for me and I did enjoy the sound. Though even if they were comfortable I'm not sure I can say they sound $1800. It's a warm and exilerating sound especially with the sub Bass extension. I mean man the bass on these are fantastic. It has great resolution with decent soundstage. The highs on the XC are bright but not over done for me with some recession in the mids I believe (which bothered me). Its a great sound but I wouldnt call it TOTL sounding in the current market. $1800 is a TOTL headphone price after all and I think I would rather get the focal Elear if I was looking for that punchy dynamic sound (which is $800 less!). Hopefully Audeze comes out with a new LCD line that fixes the comfort issue and provides are better price or sound.

I just recently ordered the ether c flow and from what I understand so far is that they are leagues ahead of the LCD XC and pretty much are considered the best closed headphones currently on the market. They are also extremely comfortable apparently (the opposite of the XC lol). Hopefully I am right. I will know in less than 2 weeks.

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 18
My nod also goes to the C Flow. Was never super impressed with the Audezes, aside from the LCD-4 and certainly not with the LCD-XC. The Flow C is fairly similar to the open Flow in most things, which is commendable considering its closed nature.
Aside from this, Mr. Speakers has proven more consistent with driver matching and ato produce very reliable headphones. I owned the standard Ether and had zero complaints with regards to build. In contrast, it does not take much browsing through the Audeze forums here to stumble across issues.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 18
Well I got my ether c flow and I got to say while the LCD XC was good but not perfect these are almost terrible. Can not believe the C Flow cost $1800. Perfect word to describe the ether c flow is... boring. Way too flat and get easily distorted.

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 18
Well I got my ether c flow and I got to say while the LCD XC was good but not perfect these are almost terrible. Can not believe the C Flow cost $1800. Perfect word to describe the ether c flow is... boring. Way too flat and get easily distorted.

I'm highly interested in a closed back audiophile HP. If the LCD XC is too heavy (I agree, it is) and the Ether C Flow is boring, what other HPs should we all be looking at? This has become a huge quandary for me. No closed back HP seems right. The AKG K872 still sounds like it's maybe the best compromise but hardly anyone knows anything about it. How about the predecessor Ether C (non-Flow) do you have any experience with that one?

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 18
I'm highly interested in a closed back audiophile HP. If the LCD XC is too heavy (I agree, it is) and the Ether C Flow is boring, what other HPs should we all be looking at? This has become a huge quandary for me. No closed back HP seems right. The AKG K872 still sounds like it's maybe the best compromise but hardly anyone knows anything about it. How about the predecessor Ether C (non-Flow) do you have any experience with that one?

Idk but at this point I'm rather pissed at the head fi community. Why are people saying these are even remotely good? When I put the lcd xc on my friends and family they thought it was great just heavy but when I told them how much the C Flow cost after listening to them they just laughed.

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 18
Idk but at this point I'm rather pissed at the head fi community. Why are people saying these are even remotely good? When I put the lcd xc on my friends and family they thought it was great just heavy but when I told them how much the C Flow cost after listening to them they just laughed.

I stayed away from both. I just bought the Beyerdynamics T5p 2nd gen. Got them for $499 lightly used. If they suck, back on eBay and I probably won't lose a cent. This is about the only way to tour HPs these days (buy used/cheap, try and sell if need be). My biggest problems with the MrSpeakers Ether C Flows is that you can't get them used so you pay the full retail price and if you have to sell them on eBay, hardly anyone knows what they are and I'm afraid I'd take a huge beating selling them on the aftermarket if I didn't like them. The LCD-XCs would fare much better on eBay. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 18
The K872 is a viable option. I liked them.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 18
Well after going to canjam I have to say i messed up a bit. The Ether C Flow was pretty good on certain amps at the show. Im not sure about them still as I didnt spend enough time with them but i did end up buying Ether Flows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back