Audeze LCD-X vs Stax 007 / 009
Jul 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 19
Probably my same thoughts on the subject

Another point to make, I assume you're talking about current 007.

The 007mk1 is brighter and faster than the newer 007mk2 which is darker, slower and has a bass emphasis.

I enjoyed the mk1 more side by side.

Funny thing is the 007MK1 is no where bright and to my ears already have plenty of bass emphasis.

I wouldn't consider them a bright phone but brighter than the mk2 simply because the mk2 sounded more like a downwards sloping FR

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #17 of 19
i have both lcd x, and stax007mk2
:)

i use both of them... yes, lcd x for me is a very good headphone, reference, and allrounder
but i think stax is on another level of sound quality (and sound signature)

with a good amp (for both), i think stax 007 is still better than lcd x :)

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 19
"I liked the LCD-X the best.  It had the most even frequency response.  I have not heard the new fazor version LCD-2 or LCD-3; but, I believe I would still like the LCD-X the best.  It was not really close for me at the meet." - That is what I said back in June. 

UPDATE:  I just heard the Audeze LCD-3 at the NYC meet in Stamford, CT and I think the LCD-3 jumped back to first place with the fazor.  It is great to go to shows like this and have your preconceptions blown away.

Bugs

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #19 of 19
Hi guys, thanks for the input. Since writing the thread, I have owned Stax 507/323s and Stax 009/Kimik 007tII, alongside Audeze LCD-X and Grado RS1i and various amps like Earmax, Burson Soloist SL and Chord Hugo. 

They have all been great, and have provided a very interesting journey through different styles of reproduction. 

Right now, I have settled on HD800 as my favourite, fed by the Chord Hugo. My only complaints are that the Hugo isn't great for desktop usability as I like a proper volume control don't like have cables shooting out at both ends. It almost looks like a Raspberry PI or something when it's hooked up.

I'm going to try a Lehmann Linear this week to see how it works with the Hugo and the HD800, but sound wise I think the HD800 and Hugo is excellent. 

In terms of the Audeze, I loved the build quality and looks, but found them too smooth and muffled, and simply too heavy and vice-like. 

The 507/323s I really liked but the 'Stax fart' from air pressure was too annoying in the end, and the HD800 just pipped them on too many aspects, albeit not by much. They would have been my faves otherwise, and on occasion have been in the lead. 

The 009 were interesting, but I found the bass just fluffy and soft, and couldn't justify the outlay when I was trying to decide between these and the 507 combo. I mean, it should be pretty obvious, right! They are super detailed, nice to wear, and tonally brilliant... hard to fault apart from a huge chunk of energiser on the desk, and when you can pick up the Hugo / HD800 and listen anywhere it just wins hands down. 

And Grados, well they're fun, easy to wear, look great, really light and a joy to own.However, I just picked up the HD800 every time as I prefer the way they sound and how comfy they are. Shame I look like a Star Wars character wearing them. Still, the HD800 are best headphones i have heard to date though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back