Audeze LCD-X or HiFiman Arya?
Sep 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Floris888

100+ Head-Fier
Hello , im debating wich one to get. At first , i was thinking to build a speaker stereo setup , but , its very expensive to build an proper stereo speakers setup, so im sticking with headphones.

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 14
Hello , im debating wich one to get. At first , i was thinking to build a speaker stereo setup , but , its very expensive to build an proper stereo speakers setup, so im sticking with headphones.
First, what gear do you have? If you are starting from scratch, what is your total budget for a headphone setup? What source type (CD/streaming/etc) do you want to use?

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 14
First, what gear do you have? If you are starting from scratch, what is your total budget for a headphone setup? What source type (CD/streaming/etc) do you want to use?
I have the Audeze LCD-X and very much enjoy them: great detailed bass/ midrange with body/ extended highs; reasonably wide soundstage; large dynamic range (between soft and loud: this may not be apparent on recordings with a lot of compression). The LCD-X is easily driven but really shines moving from a mobile device to a dedicated headphone amplifier. I do not have any experience with Hifiman.

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 14
I’d try to find a way to audition them first because they have very different sound signatures. My personal preference is for the Audeze house sound as I’ve found it has more ‘meat’ and ‘body’ to it than Hifimans oval line like the Arya.

Audeze also has a reputation for impeccable build quality vs Hifiman’s more hit-and-miss QC.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 14
I’d try to find a way to audition them first because they have very different sound signatures. My personal preference is for the Audeze house sound as I’ve found it has more ‘meat’ and ‘body’ to it than Hifimans oval line like the Arya.

Audeze also has a reputation for impeccable build quality vs Hifiman’s more hit-and-miss QC.
They are also very heavy and uncomfortable... (Audeze).

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 14
If you have limited source i suggest go/start with LCD X, arya need power/quality dac/amp to shine, not said that LCD X not either but i think arya has better scalling as you gears goes up, generally they need more proper amp compare to LCD X, keep in mind LCD X has better support (with 3 year warranty and better built compare to arya), you can consider that factor too, i think if you go with portable route, LCD X is more suitable for you.

Nov 3, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #9 of 14
If you have limited source i suggest go/start with LCD X, arya need power/quality dac/amp to shine, not said that LCD X not either but i think arya has better scalling as you gears goes up, generally they need more proper amp compare to LCD X, keep in mind LCD X has better support (with 3 year warranty and better built compare to arya), you can consider that factor too, i think if you go with portable route, LCD X is more suitable for you.
Good point.

Nov 3, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 14
Those are two different doses and both deserve a good source. I have an Ananda and the LCD X, I love both ..... depending on my condition and mood. Ayra is very demanding at the source, I would not recommend it.

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 14
Those are two different doses and both deserve a good source. I have an Ananda and the LCD X, I love both ..... depending on my condition and mood. Ayra is very demanding at the source, I would not recommend it.
Silly reason not to recommend it. If you have cans you should have a proper source no matter what. Arya is not good for a DAP, but if you have a desktop amp your fine.

Nov 4, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 14
Silly reason not to recommend it. If you have cans you should have a proper source no matter what. Arya is not good for a DAP, but if you have a desktop amp your fine.

the questioner claims to have a DAP Fiio M11 and to have little idea of the matter. I think it's stupid a newbie to buy the wrong can for the existing DAP .. as well as a can that is difficult to drive .... very bad recommendation

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 14

You really can't use the Arya with any type of low power device.
Its a demanding headphone, power-wise.
You should find a good used set of LCD-X's, and they are easy to drive, as they are a generally better all-arounder then the Arya, which has a more specific type of "Fang" sound.
IF you just have to have the Arya, but dont want to spend the $1500, then find a used Hifiman HD-560 1st version, and you have found most of the Arya sound for about 33% of the price.
The thing about Fang's products, (Hifiman) is that you are paying for Treble.
His gear is all about the Treble, with few exceptions.
The LCD X is a more refined sound, but not necessarily a better sound, as the Arya is impressively detailed, but once again, this is a product of Fang's fascination with Treble.
So, get the HE 560 and if you love that, then you will love the Arya.
I'd however place my bet on you loving the LCD-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back