Audeze LCD-X ear pads improvements
Feb 9, 2014 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

inter voice

100+ Head-Fier
I found the ear pads of LCD-X are too soft and when I put the headphones over my head I noticed that my ears are almost touching the drivers.  I have the impression that when my ears are too closed to the drives in over-the-ear headphones the soundstaging might be affected. I got this feeling after comparing the distance between LCD-X and my HD800 (which has exceptionally good soundstaging).

To prove my theory is correct I used some not too soft spongy materials and inserted them underneath both ear pad rings to increase the distance of my ears over the drivers (see the following two photos).  Spongy material are used to prevent reflection inside the hollow cavity.  I also used 4 pcs of spongy materials and leaving 4 gaps to ensure the sound are not trapped inside. 

After this small modification I noticed that the overall soundstaging has improved and the music is clearer to my ears.  I do not notice any decrease in the headphones' bass as well as changes in the HF. Surprisingly the minor "veil" present originally has disappeared.

The following photo shows the ear pads have their full height after inserting some spongy material underneath them.  Don't worry the LCD-X are still very comfortable to wear and I feel the same as before.

I would also like to mention that I have modified the inside of the strong carrier box so that the LCD-X can be securely placed inside with the Toxic cable Silver Widow on (see the photo below).

In conclusion there is no harm to carry out these modifications since you can remove the spongy materials if you do not like them.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 51
After listening to my LCD-X for some time with a simple improvement to the ear pads as reported previously, I have something new in my mind and then put it into action and see if the result is better than my previous modification or not.

What I did was to cut out a rubber ring from a 
5mm thick Neoprene rubber sheet​
 and inserted it into the bottom of the ear pad.  The following photos showed how they look:

you can see the edge of the 5mm thick rubber ring underneath the ear pad.

Cut out a circular ring of about 100mm dia with a width of about 12mm from the rubber sheet

I can conform that the result is much better than using spongy materials as I had done previously.  When I auditioned it after the modification I can hear a much improvement in soundstaging - a big surprise to me indeed !!!.  The music is much more clear and with better separation while there are no changes to the bass and treble.

Those who have doubts may try it out yourself and reported back.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 51
http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3/8535#post_10089315

had the same impression some time ago when i first received the lcd3... but nobody replied so i just assumed i was bananas... maybe we are both bananas !?!

that mod, wow, that's a genial idea ! how come i didn't think of that !?! he, he...

i had the lcd2 early rev2 and the pads were much sturdier and gave more distance to the driver, but i'm afraid today's lcd2 pads may be closer to the lcd3

i'm gonna try this schiit out and report back...

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 51
I found that the ear pads of LCD-X are far too soft though they are comfortable to wear.

After using the LCD-X for a few days from new I noticed that my ears are almost in touch with the drivers.  This implies the volume of the hollow cavity between my ear and the driver has reduced and this, from my limited engineering knowledge, certainly have great impact to the soundstaging !!

After lifting the distance by 5mm I can now hear a BIG improvement in soundstaging and the separation of musical instruments without compromising the comfort.

Remark: When I auditioned LCD-3 and LCD-X before decided purchasing the LCD-X I recalled that the earpads of LCD-X is the softest between the two CANs.  Can someone confirm this?

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 51
This is something I had planned to do with my Sony MDR-5720... is the rubber an adhesive in there or just fit.  also please forward where you got the rubber from.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 51
  This is something I had planned to do with my Sony MDR-5720... is the rubber an adhesive in there or just fit.  also please forward where you got the rubber from.

They are just plain rubber sheet without adhesive.  Just search "black Neoprene rubber sheeting" in eBay.  A small sheet only cost you a few pounds.  No harm to try as it will not damage the earpads.  If you don't find any improvement just pull it out and get rid of it.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 51
As I have mentioned in my previous post, initially I used soft spongy material underneath the earpads and later used Neoprene rubber sheeting where I found great improvement in soundstaging and clarity of music with the later.  I was puzzled as to why that could be the case ?  Now I have a theory that might explain why !!! BUT I might be wrong.

As you know LCD headphones all use planer magnetic drivers firmly secured to the casing. When it vibrates it will also cause the headphone planer magnetic driver supporting casing to vibrate with it.  The casing vibrations will interact with the planer driver unit which I believe will muddle the SQ.  Neoprene are actually very good vibration damping material and a neoprene rubber ring inserted underneath the earpads touching the driver casing damps out the vibrations of the driver supporting casing  and thus making the sound wave from the driver more pure and accurate.  That explains why the SQ is improved.

Therefore the trick for this mod is to use Neoprene rubber sheet !!
gs1000.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 51
  As I have mentioned in my previous post, initially I used soft spongy material underneath the earpads and later used Neoprene rubber sheeting where I found great improvement in soundstaging and clarity of music with the later.  I was puzzled as to why that could be the case ?  Now I have a theory that might explain why !!! BUT I might be wrong.

As you know LCD headphones all use planer magnetic drivers firmly secured to the casing. When it vibrates it will also cause the headphone planer magnetic driver supporting casing to vibrate with it.  The casing vibrations will interact with the planer driver unit which I believe will muddle the SQ.  Neoprene are actually very good vibration damping material and a neoprene rubber ring inserted underneath the earpads touching the driver casing damps out the vibrations of the driver supporting casing  and thus making the sound wave from the driver more pure.  That is my theory.

Therefore the trick for this mod is to use Neoprene rubber sheet !!
gs1000.gif

Highly implausible, when listening to my speakers, I wrapped my face in cellophane and it didn't sound any better, 

BTW the supposed neoprene sound filter is actually creating space between your ear and the driver, making the headphone sound less congested and more airy.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 51
A really creative idea! I like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Like to give it a try my LCD-3s.

Can you describe the squishyness (durometer) of the neoprene you finally used? Was it soft and spongey like a foam rubber, or more stiff like a hard rubber mat?

No, it is not soft. It is a bit hard and it is called
Neoprene 65° solid rubber sheeting.​

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 51
  BTW the supposed neoprene sound filter is actually creating space between your ear and the driver, making the headphone sound less congested and more airy.

I don't think so as I said before when I used normal spongy material it also create the same space and distance but the clarity and soundstaging is much better when using Neoprene rubber sheeting. I can hear a big difference in SQ between the two materials. There is no doubt that increasing the ear and driver distance will make the sound more airy BUT reducing the casing vibrations should be the main reason of having a much better SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back