Audeze LCD-5 - The all new Audeze Flagship
Oct 18, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #121 of 163
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #122 of 163
to be honest, since you can sell a good condition lcd-4 for 2k and buy a new 5 for 4500 the trade in isnt much of a big deal other than the convenience..I suppose if you own it for less than 90 days it works out well though

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #123 of 163
after i bought my athm50x (about 10 years ago) and was considering stepping up and heard the hd600 and hd650 and was introduced to what open headphones can offer, i started thinking who would spend $1000 on a pair of headphones (looking at the hd800)? That’s ridiculous, i thought.

i soon bought the hd800 (over the he560) and slowly i got more entrenched into this hobby.

This is the one hobby i financially treat myself/indulge in.

so over these last 10 years i have been fortunate enough to be in a position where i was able to choose to pour money into this hobby (work has been good) and am extremely happy with my current setup that includes the susvara and niimbus us4.
which is quite a few more dollars than the athm50x (the ultimate gateway headphone).

I have no regrets having splurged on my setup. My wife (and many others) could not give two kahoots about it. But hey, there’s value in their for me. As long as i don’t focus on the overall spend over these last 10 years - but if i break it up over per year over 10 years it becomes more digestible even for me :)

and really if circumstances changed and i needed to i could sell off my gear and recoup some $

so the lcd5 and other totl may seem ridiculously priced from one person’s perspective but others have different perspectives, like mine that is somewhat deep in this musical hole that i have been digging away and happily into

one final point: i think what we have available to us as headphone options has exploded over the last 10 years, and yes, so has the pricing. But our options are great: empyreans, hifiman, lcd options, final audio, focal, abyss, etc, not to mention all these iems (that i am not really into)

so these options are ours

and there are so many options at so many different price points - even before we get to $2k+

anyway…..enough of my ramblings
It is an expensive rip off, and what you say it's still great, but it is still a rip off.

See, people should learn to understand that you can spend money on things that, not because you bought them, they are not a rip off anymore. You can buy a La Ferrari, if they let you and if you have the 2-3 millions. And if you buy it, you will enjoy it, and you can sell it, and it all be worth it, and you will not regret, and all was nice and happy, with sugar on top and strawberries. But the Ferrari is very expensive, and that is ok, but it is an extremely expensive car, 3 millions for a vehicle... with half a million you can buy a few Porsche 911... and porsche 911 is already a really expensive car, so...

Don't fool yourself brother, and do not pretend to fool the rest. enjoy your gear. 1000$ for a cans is extremely expensive, i have audezes of that price, and they are just as expensive as before i had them.

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #124 of 163
It is an expensive rip off, and what you say it's still great, but it is still a rip off.

See, people should learn to understand that you can spend money on things that, not because you bought them, they are not a rip off anymore. You can buy a La Ferrari, if they let you and if you have the 2-3 millions. And if you buy it, you will enjoy it, and you can sell it, and it all be worth it, and you will not regret, and all was nice and happy, with sugar on top and strawberries. But the Ferrari is very expensive, and that is ok, but it is an extremely expensive car, 3 millions for a vehicle... with half a million you can buy a few Porsche 911... and porsche 911 is already a really expensive car, so...

Don't fool yourself brother, and do not pretend to fool the rest. enjoy your gear. 1000$ for a cans is extremely expensive, i have audezes of that price, and they are just as expensive as before i had them.
What?

Oct 19, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #125 of 163

Just buy an old volkswagon and you're done - there’s spare parts everywhere if you need them too

simple

Oct 19, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #127 of 163
to be honest, since you can sell a good condition lcd-4 for 2k and buy a new 5 for 4500 the trade in isnt much of a big deal other than the convenience..I suppose if you own it for less than 90 days it works out well though
One does not purchase or dabble in kilodollar headphones to achieve an monetary IRR (internal rate of return) or RCY (realised compound yield)…

Oct 19, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #128 of 163
No, the carbon head band probably won't wear out. I do think the ear pads have got softer, I like them quite a bit. This morning I wore them for a few hours and almost forgot they were on my head. My LCD-R never let me forget I was wearing them!
Does the LCD-5 have that tangible sense of space that the LCD-R has, and is it punchier in the low end? Apologies if you posted a comparison earlier and I missed it! I'm missing the LCD-R :sweat:

Oct 19, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #129 of 163
One does not purchase or dabble in kilodollar headphones to achieve an monetary IRR (internal rate of return) or RCY (realised compound yield)…
some of us do lol

Oct 19, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #130 of 163
Does the LCD-5 have that tangible sense of space that the LCD-R has, and is it punchier in the low end? Apologies if you posted a comparison earlier and I missed it! I'm missing the LCD-R :sweat:
Yes, on both accounts. I'll be making a new post about my final impressions between the LCD-R and LCD-5 later tonight. The quick and dirty answer is the LCD-5 does everything better than the LCD-R (imo), but only with a good EQ profile. When EQ is not a variable, then the LCD-R has the edge in vocals and is a bit smoother and more musical sounding.

Oct 19, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #131 of 163
Oct 19, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #132 of 163
New design has a lot of costs, in design agencies, prototypes, test. Lot of cost. So in this niche industries, you gotta pay for the research of the thing, and pay the company. When the tech is 10 year old and it is more than paid, same tech price goes way lower... In another words, this is a 600€ cans, you just pay 4000€ because research costs way more than those 3400€ difference, I think. So in other words, worth it, yes, fair for the company who has produced such an amazing cans to have that price, shure. But boy, 4000€ is a hell of an expensive can. 1000€ is also expensive. No matter how deep you are into this. just like 10K bikes. 20K bicycles... state of the art is expensive. LCD 2C has the most value I guess, still high price, much more value, no? I must be missing something I guess.

Maybe 4000€ is not expensive. 8000€ is expensive? LOL

In any case, I think the design is truly amazing. No denying they resemble the Abyss earpads. Love my LCD, weight was the only issue, and such a huge size, was too much, it is too much. It was orthopedic, let's be honest. Worth the weight? of course, the sound is amazing, but this new design attacks directly the issues of previous model. It kicks Rossin headphones right in the center. Wearing heavy cans now it start to be more and more stupid. This is the future. And then no wood replaced by rayban matter, with rayban color, simply genius. Maybe this first version will have little things to improve, so price needs to be high to cover any possible flaw in a good warranty. High price is understandable, so maybe not that high really the price, just very very very new tech. Ten years and no carbon, this is 500-600$ b-stock.

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #133 of 163
In any case, I think the design is truly amazing. No denying they resemble the Abyss earpads. Love my LCD, weight was the only issue, and such a huge size, was too much, it is too much. It was orthopedic, let's be honest. Worth the weight? of course, the sound is amazing, but this new design attacks directly the issues of previous model. It kicks Rossin headphones right in the center. Wearing heavy cans now it start to be more and more stupid. This is the future. And then no wood replaced by rayban matter, with rayban color, simply genius. Maybe this first version will have little things to improve, so price needs to be high to cover any possible flaw in a good warranty. High price is understandable, so maybe not that high really the price, just very very very new tech. Ten years and no carbon, this is 500-600$ b-stock.
Audeze gets around the weight by loosing half of the magnets. They loose half the magnets by utilizing their new parallel uniforce trace diaphram, which allows the headphone to have the same performance with less magnets. They have a patent (pending?), So chances of the price going down THAT much is slim.

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #134 of 163
Around 2k is the threshold for me on what is a ludicrous price for an audio purchase. Even that is pushing it for me. But if you've convinced yourself 3k-4k isn't ridiculous for some cans and headband you put on your head etc god bless - you swallowed the red pill.. haha

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #135 of 163
Around 2k is the threshold for me on what is a ludicrous price for an audio purchase. Even that is pushing it for me. But if you've convinced yourself 3k-4k isn't ridiculous for some cans and headband you put on your head etc god bless - you swallowed the red pill.. haha
Ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back