Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #587 of 2,477
ah yes, I meant the bottom screws, I've heard people complain about those.

I had to tighten these up evry quarter year or so on my X, but they changed the housing abit on the 4z, hasnt loosened after 4 months now.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #588 of 2,477
just arrived and is it wrong to be so enamoured with an inanimate object. Sound good out the box, but now consigned to patiently watch them quietly burn in for the next 3 or 4 days. The stock cable looks pretty interesting but has anyone found anything fun you recommend as i'm going to need to buy a 2.5mm balanced cable to use with my AK SPcu. Any suggestions gratefully received as i need the distraction :wink:

How well does the SP1000 work with the LCD-4Z?
I like the LCD-X but wish it were more clear.
I like the LCD-3, but I like the bass the X puts out more. I suspect it has more to do with the X being easier to drive than the X having more bass than the 3.
My dealer doesn't have the LCD-4 or the LCD-4Z on display.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #590 of 2,477

Okay guys if you want to hear just what 4z is all about then just CRANK THIS ONE UP! O.M.G!!! Bass to die for, just smokin hot! 4z rocks so good... :L3000:

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #594 of 2,477
My apologies if this has been answered before, but has anyone compared this to the Utopia?

I have heard the Utopia at Can-Jam right after hearing the LCD4. The Utopia is nearer to my Star 009 in signature, and the Stax was better. The LCD4 does other things I like better than both those HPs. So it depends what you are after. If you want fast and micro detail thrown at you, then go for the 009, if you want a smoother more realistic sound with amazing bass and superb mids, then go for the LCD4 or LCD4z. Note, the 009 needs a top amp to get near it's potential, as does the LCD4. The LCD4z is easier to drive so you may get away with a lesser amp.

All those headphones need a top DAC.

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #595 of 2,477
I have heard the Utopia at Can-Jam right after hearing the LCD4. The Utopia is nearer to my Star 009 in signature, and the Stax was better. The LCD4 does other things I like better than both those HPs. So it depends what you are after. If you want fast and micro detail thrown at you, then go for the 009, if you want a smoother more realistic sound with amazing bass and superb mids, then go for the LCD4 or LCD4z. Note, the 009 needs a top amp to get near it's potential, as does the LCD4. The LCD4z is easier to drive so you may get away with a lesser amp.

All those headphones need a top DAC.

Thanks for this.

I have heard the LCD4 previously and purchased the Utopia after listening to both. It was a toss up for me at the time as I liked different things about each, but ultimately the lesser comfort and need to use a very powerful amp to get the best of the LCD4 swung my decision in the other direction. I also prefer the treble in the Utopia.

This is a smart move by Audeze. My current amp (COS Engineering H1) pairs very well with the Utopia, but is probably on the edge of acceptability (power wise) for the LCD4. The 4z resolves that issue and appears like it would address the comfort issue as well.

I did not know if the 4z sounded identical to the 4, but reading through the thread it appears to be close, but not exactly the same. What I can't determine from the responses so far is if the change results in something I would prefer to my Utopia especially since I do not specifically dislike anything about the Utopia.

I'll wait a while until I can try the 4z (preferably in my system) and decide then. At this level it's more about the appeal of the differences than one unit being absolutely better than the other.

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #596 of 2,477
Thanks for this.

I have heard the LCD4 previously and purchased the Utopia after listening to both. It was a toss up for me at the time as I liked different things about each, but ultimately the lesser comfort and need to use a very powerful amp to get the best of the LCD4 swung my decision in the other direction. I also prefer the treble in the Utopia.

This is a smart move by Audeze. My current amp (COS Engineering H1) pairs very well with the Utopia, but is probably on the edge of acceptability (power wise) for the LCD4. The 4z resolves that issue and appears like it would address the comfort issue as well.

I did not know if the 4z sounded identical to the 4, but reading through the thread it appears to be close, but not exactly the same. What I can't determine from the responses so far is if the change results in something I would prefer to my Utopia especially since I do not specifically dislike anything about the Utopia.

I'll wait a while until I can try the 4z (preferably in my system) and decide then. At this level it's more about the appeal of the differences than one unit being absolutely better than the other.
I would hazard a guess, and say the LCD4z has more bass impact and dynamic range, wider soundstage, just sounds bigger. The Utopia has limited bas power I felt, and some have complained of bass distortion. The soundstage on the Utopia is also narrow. If you really dig the Utopia, maybe you should try the 009 and BHSE?

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #597 of 2,477
utopia vs 4z is really 2 very different HP's...both great just a question of preference....the utopia is the most detailed HP i have yet heard...incredible separation and isolation of instruments....on the other hand it is a much more intimate listening experience and the bass while good by any measure isnt in the league of the 4z or abyss....different strokes for different folks or just buy em both lol

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #598 of 2,477
Yes, i also compared the 4z and utopia quite a bit. They are both amazing at most disciplines but different. The 4z sounds alot beefier from mids downwards, while the utopia has a bit more energy in the upper spectrum. Imaging is near perfect on the focal with the 4z abit behind but the 4z is like 10-20% wider. The 4z seemed a tad more "clean" sounding but that could just be the inherent difference in presentation from a dynamic to planar... the deciding factor for me was the bass, which is a good chunk better and cleaner than on the utopia. I listen to alot of electronic music, so the lower half of the spectrum is more important to me and ontop of that the smooth treble makes even black and death metal a blast over long periods of listening . the utopia really excelled at intimate instrumental stuff like jazz and the like or classical recorded in small rooms or modern smaller musichalls. :)

Nov 14, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #599 of 2,477
Excellent and helpful comparisons from all.

It's so refreshing to have a forum like this where members are willing to share their impressions in a manner that does not denigrate either product!

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #600 of 2,477
I just wanted to reiterate what someone has already noticed before me.
These do have a very long burn-in period.
I've listened to mine now for an estimate of ~200 hours and there is still a definite improvement over the last couple of days.
That's especially true in the low end where the bass gets more and more growling and visceral.

Or it may all be just psycho-acoustics, but I doubt that as that is something I've never noticed with my previous cans.

Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back