Audeze LCD-4
Jan 19, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #11,836 of 12,053
I think the reputation for discomfort with the old style ones comes down to head shape, you have to really jive with the happenstance of the cushion placement. The one thing that's not subjective though is that I no longer have to worry about stretching the suspension strap out.

I agree with you. I definitely prefer the old headphone for comfort, even though I have a big head and average sized ears. More padding, more stability on my head, it's an easy win. Although, the new headband in carbon fiber is much sexier. In the end, all this stuff is subjective anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #11,837 of 12,053
Came back to the LCD-4 after about a month or so of using other headphones. Still believe it is the king of electronic music. It has that intimate club vibe, deep bass textures and brings out the absolute best imaging.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #11,838 of 12,053
Came back to the LCD-4 after about a month or so of using other headphones. Still believe it is the king of electronic music. It has that intimate club vibe, deep bass textures and brings out the absolute best imaging.
The advantage is that the LCD 4 is not that ultra high-resolution and, thanks to its dark but still very engaging presentation, it gets the best out of even songs that are poorly produced. And then there are the unique properties that the bass of the LCD 4 has.

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #11,840 of 12,053
The dark side of the LCD4 allows you to crank up the volume and enjoy the music with all its power :wink:
Right! Amazing headphone for many if not all music tastes.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #11,841 of 12,053
The advantage is that the LCD 4 is not that ultra high-resolution and, thanks to its dark but still very engaging presentation, it gets the best out of even songs that are poorly produced. And then there are the unique properties that the bass of the LCD 4 has.
It is pretty resolving because of what you mentioned. The imaging on good recordings though is astonishing with the layers of different textures.

Jan 21, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #11,843 of 12,053
Could you share a list aith songs do you prefer on the LCD4 so i get a picture from what your hearing? I could do the same if there are any interest
Last night I was listening to Bonobo - The North Borders Tour Live and, this morning, to Emancipator - Baralku Tour (Live). What about you?

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #11,845 of 12,053
Jan 22, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #11,846 of 12,053
So I recently got LCD-XC 2021, and am amazed at how good they are. Listening to Daniel Rifaterra's excellent Eva release, I got that club vibe for sure - it was the closest I've been to being a room with a sound system apart from actually doing that.

Have you had a chance to check out anything else from Audeze? I'm curious if the I should be looking at the rest of the line, after my experience with the LCD-XC. I've never heard a headphone do what the LCD-XC does, so I'm not sure how their higher-end models might possibly improve on it lol.

Jan 22, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #11,847 of 12,053
I have both the LCD-X 2021 (the open back), and the LCD-4. The LCD-4 is different. Darker background, more detail, much better, and pretty unique, bass. The LCD-4 always has a pretty weird tuning, which I've heard has a lot of unit variation. The LCD-4, to me, sounds like a much deeper soundstage. The X is a little flatter. Before EQ'ing, the tuning on the LCD-4 is not better than the X's tuning, but with EQ, it's a whole different headphone.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #11,848 of 12,053
So I recently got LCD-XC 2021, and am amazed at how good they are. Listening to Daniel Rifaterra's excellent Eva release, I got that club vibe for sure - it was the closest I've been to being a room with a sound system apart from actually doing that.

Have you had a chance to check out anything else from Audeze? I'm curious if the I should be looking at the rest of the line, after my experience with the LCD-XC. I've never heard a headphone do what the LCD-XC does, so I'm not sure how their higher-end models might possibly improve on it lol.
I would recommend you check out the LCD 2C (openback) as I recall the vocals, mid bass punch and soundstage was just excellent and I much preferred the vocals on that headphone compared to the LCD X plus it had more bass quantity.

The LCD 4 represents the very best of the traditional Audeze house sound with the most detail and it has the best bass, vocals, stereo imaging, instrumental timbre richness and emotional engagement I have heard in a headphone. For the price that they are going for on the used market its a no brainer as long as you have at least mid fi gear to drive them and you don't mind using EQ.

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #11,849 of 12,053
Don't really think EQ is a "must have". I often listen without it and thoroughly enjoy the LCD-4. It sounds fantastic either way IMHO.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #11,850 of 12,053
Don't really think EQ is a "must have". I often listen without it and thoroughly enjoy the LCD-4. It sounds fantastic either way IMHO.
I didn't think it was needed as I was listening to the stock tuning with just a bass bump since I got the headphone but once I started looking for some EQ settings and found Oratory's EQ it was just a night and day difference for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back