Audeze LCD-4
Apr 11, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #11,101 of 12,031
There were a few last time I looked (2 weeks ago) , two on Ebay, think a guy on the classified section on this site was also selling one. But might be sold already.
They are definitely getting harder to find.. Many simply refuse to sell their 4s since you may not get a good chance of buying another clean pair. Took me months of frequently checking the classifieds before I lucked out. I hope I never have to sell them.

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #11,102 of 12,031
I know I don’t plan to sell mine. 😁 The 200 ohm version works better with tube amps. Which I prefer with them.

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #11,103 of 12,031
I know I don’t plan to sell mine. 😁 The 200 ohm version works better with tube amps. Which I prefer with them.
Not necessarily.
My SE-OTL-tube amp is designed to works best at about 100 Ohm (AKG-K1000) - perfect fit to my 90 Ohm measuring LCD-4.

Does indeed create some special tube-magic.
LCD-4 reacts very positively to tube amps.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #11,104 of 12,031
So I just added HQ Player to Roon and its upsampling to 384kHz and it does sound better with it. I was just wondering what the Sigma-Delta modulator does? what does 5th order or 7th order mean?

Update: It's actually a night and day difference with HQplayer added. The bass impact is a lot stronger with added texture and everything sounds much clearer and more defined. Symbols in the soundstage sound clearer and overall clarity is much improved.

Very happy so far

Attachments

• 20230411_234335 (1).jpg
    20230411_234335 (1).jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #11,105 of 12,031
Thanks for the tip but it's too expensive. If so then the Empyrian but the Elite costs me more than the LCD4 which I would otherwise prefer. As if the Arya woudnt be a good alternative?
Hello, my 2 cents, I think lcd4 is unique cans , they sound like no other headphones , I had a lot of different ones and in the end decided to keep lcd 4, abyss1266tc and Susvara

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #11,106 of 12,031
Hello, my 2 cents, I think lcd4 is unique cans , they sound like no other headphones , I had a lot of different ones and in the end decided to keep lcd 4, abyss1266tc and Susvara
Wow, all three are amazing headphones. What a lineup. How do you choose which one to listen to? Ha ha

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #11,107 of 12,031
I don't deny that the LCD 4 isn't anything special. On the contrary, it was the headphone I wanted the most next to the Diana V2. Over time I have learned in this Hobby that, in addition to a good Dac, it is important to me to have several sound experiences rather than just one. So now I've got the Hifiman Arya V2 for $800 (for layering, big and "high" sound) and then the LCD4 for fun and bass. I think at this high level of sound quality I can do without a few percent that even more expensive headphones create. Especially since I have now learned from the review by Goldensound that the Arya V2 is even better in some areas than the Hifiman HE 1000V2, which is twice as expensive

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #11,108 of 12,031
Wow, all three are amazing headphones. What a lineup. How do you choose which one to listen to? Ha ha
I tell you frankly, this days l I don’t use a lot lcd4 , but all the time when I come back to them I have big WOW effect, lcd4 probably have warmest and darkest sound signature , at least in my opinion

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #11,109 of 12,031
I don't deny that the LCD 4 isn't anything special. On the contrary, it was the headphone I wanted the most next to the Diana V2. Over time I have learned in this Hobby that, in addition to a good Dac, it is important to me to have several sound experiences rather than just one. So now I've got the Hifiman Arya V2 for $800 (for layering, big and "high" sound) and then the LCD4 for fun and bass. I think at this high level of sound quality I can do without a few percent that even more expensive headphones create. Especially since I have now learned from the review by Goldensound that the Arya V2 is even better in some areas than the Hifiman HE 1000V2, which is twice as expensive
I had Aria and I remember my thoughts was, If I started hobbie with Aria I probably just keep them and enjoy the music, Aria for that money probably the best choice , I think Aria better than other ones with price tag twice more , but unfortunately my experience was very different, I started with cans for couple hundreds and same price for amp with dac

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #11,110 of 12,031
I tell you frankly, this days l I don’t use a lot lcd4 , but all the time when I come back to them I have big WOW effect, lcd4 probably have warmest and darkest sound signature , at least in my opinion
I love the LCD-4 as well, but mostly gravitate to the RAAL SR1A. For me, it has absolutely zero fatigue and the sound.. with the exception of bass, I'd say it has very few weaknesses.

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #11,111 of 12,031
I had Aria and I remember my thoughts was, If I started hobbie with Aria I probably just keep them and enjoy the music, Aria for that money probably the best choice , I think Aria better than other ones with price tag twice more , but unfortunately my experience was very different, I started with cans for couple hundreds and same price for amp with dac
I think there are advantages if the drivers are designed like the Arya. You get a different sense of space. And that, paired with the qualities that the Arya brings with it in terms of sound quality, they are special headphones. Especially since it is very detailed from my memory and still staggers the sound. He simply shows what kind of information is in such a song without sounding boring and dry. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the LCD 4 yet, but I think that it can be the most fun headphone I've heard so far, especially with EQ

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #11,112 of 12,031
The original blue stock cable that was only produced for the first 200 units which leads me to assume its the 100ohm version.

They had some reliability issues with the 100ohm versions and switched to a 200ohm design and subsequently, switched to a black and white stock cable.
Hmmm, this is the set i bought. If it is sensitive to air pressure changes, i guess the plane ride here killed the drivers as i got them dead. On its way to factory for new replacements.

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #11,113 of 12,031
Hmmm, this is the set i bought. If it is sensitive to air pressure changes, i guess the plane ride here killed the drivers as i got them dead. On its way to factory for new replacements.
Wow, that's seriously disappointing. My condolences. Were those the ones advertised as being from Japan?

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #11,115 of 12,031
Well, my review of the HEK v2 vs the Arya 1 and 2, is that neither is as good. They are more brash, but more fatiguing.

But yes the OG LCD-4 is one of my most desired cans. Audeze knows it. Someday....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back