Audeze LCD-4
Apr 11, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #11,086 of 12,053
There were a few last time I looked (2 weeks ago) , two on Ebay, think a guy on the classified section on this site was also selling one. But might be sold already.

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #11,087 of 12,053
@wbass - I'd be careful here.

Am I right that Audeze discontinued this version because of driver reliability issues?

FWIW, I got mine (the 200 ohms one) from The Music Room. I've not seen any there for a while but it's worth checking periodically.
That's right, they were sensitive to air pressure changes and it could rupture the diaphragm

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #11,089 of 12,053
Right. I tried it few years ago and the sound was really better than the one with new driver. But the driver died during the session...
Its a shame cause I have never heard anyone say that the originals weren't better.

I don't know what the secret sauce Audeze had pre-2017 but I wish they'd get it back. Not that I haven't liked more recent Audeze stuff but the old stuff is just legendary.

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #11,091 of 12,053
@wbass - I'd be careful here.

Am I right that Audeze discontinued this version because of driver reliability issues?

FWIW, I got mine (the 200 ohms one) from The Music Room. I've not seen any there for a while but it's worth checking periodically.
The original blue stock cable that was only produced for the first 200 units which leads me to assume its the 100ohm version.

They had some reliability issues with the 100ohm versions and switched to a 200ohm design and subsequently, switched to a black and white stock cable.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #11,092 of 12,053
Anyone care to share what they're using for cleaning & caring for/protecting the leather and wood on the LCD-4s? I believe Audeze has written the wood rings are maintenance-free, but am curious what others are doing. Thanks!

Apr 11, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #11,093 of 12,053
Anyone care to share what they're using for cleaning & caring for/protecting the leather and wood on the LCD-4s? I believe Audeze has written the wood rings are maintenance-free, but am curious what others are doing. Thanks!
Yes I always use the white gloves when handling the headphone....

Just kidding, I use polish shiner and use a few drops around the wood cups and use a microfiber cloth. microfiber cloth just for the grills as I don't want to risk getting any liquid inside.

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #11,095 of 12,053
Yes I always use the white gloves when handling the headphone....

Just kidding, I use polish shiner and use a few drops around the wood cups and use a microfiber cloth. microfiber cloth just for the grills as I don't want to risk getting any liquid inside.
You only wear them while handling the LCD-4!? I love to wear mine while opening important correspondence, as well as going for evening walks and obviously while practicing hand-puppetry with friends and neighbors.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #11,096 of 12,053

I just wipe the rings down with a soft cloth, I use flannel.

Leather cleaner, then conditioner for the pads

Apr 11, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #11,097 of 12,053
I’ve heard really good things about the original blue cable that came with the 100 ohm LCD4. Would be interested in purchasing it separately.
Yeah people who have that cable always say they go back to it because its the best compared to even high end cables they bought.

You will never be able to buy it separately unfortunately unless you buy an LCD 4 that comes with it if you can find one.

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #11,098 of 12,053
Apr 11, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #11,099 of 12,053
Interesting.

Since they offered all of the 100ohm owners an upgrade to the 200ohm version, I wonder how many there are actually left in the wild and their sound differences. I guess only Audeze really know the answer to the difference in sound quality between the 2 versions. We have had quite a few comparisons between the 200ohm LCD 4 and LCD 4z and people conclude that the 4z its less detailed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back