Audeze LCD-4
Apr 8, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #11,041 of 12,053
I like hard rock on the LCD4. Something old school like Metallica, Guns n Roses, Van Halen. Just be careful, due to the weight of the LCD4, head banging can result in neck injuries. 🤪

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #11,042 of 12,053
I like hard rock on the LCD4. Something old school like Metallica, Guns n Roses, Van Halen. Just be careful, due to the weight of the LCD4, head banging can result in neck injuries. 🤪
Ha ha... will give 'em a try. I can already see myself in traction.

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #11,043 of 12,053
Bet this has certainly been polled already... but what songs sound particularly good on the LCD-4? Have noticed a few of my classic rock favs don't match too well. Looking to add a fews bands / albums to the music library... thanks in advance!
Any particular artist or classic rock sound you are into? I have found a well mastered, high def going through some decent hardware will sound good with the Audeze lcd4. Then again most gear would sound good when considering all those elements.

A well mastered copy of Dark Side always sounds good to me with the Audeze…

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #11,044 of 12,053
Some late night listening...

Attachments

• 20230408_230941.jpg
    20230408_230941.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #11,045 of 12,053
Any particular artist or classic rock sound you are into? I have found a well mastered, high def going through some decent hardware will sound good with the Audeze lcd4. Then again most gear would sound good when considering all those elements.

You certainly mean "Dark Side" by Kelly Clarkson. I don‘t know... never been a huge fan. J.K. Dark side of the moon, I'm assuming. Fantastic album, along with "Relics".

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #11,047 of 12,053
Apr 9, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #11,048 of 12,053

Been going through my local library, bands like CCR, CSNY, Airplane, Doors, Hendrix etc., which all sound quite good on the Raal, don't seem to translate to the LCD-4. So far, love the sound of Sinatra, Pink floyd, Santana, Moody Blues, Nazareth and a few others.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #11,049 of 12,053
One Question: Coming from an Abyss Diana V2 and Audeze LCD 3 is it wroth to upgrade from LCD3 to LCD4? I would get from a good Friend 1100$ for my LCD3 and i think about upgrading it. But i would have to spend about 2000$ for a used LCD4. Is it worth it and what are the benefits? I prefer good bass and engaging, "addictive" sound

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #11,050 of 12,053
One Question: Coming from an Abyss Diana V2 and Audeze LCD 3 is it wroth to upgrade from LCD3 to LCD4? I would get from a good Friend 1100$ for my LCD3 and i think about upgrading it. But i would have to spend about 2000$ for a used LCD4. Is it worth it and what are the benefits? I prefer good bass and engaging, "addictive" sound
Upgrading from the LCD 3 to the 4 will give you more detail/resolution and notes/voices in the background will become a lot more apparent. Stereo imaging is also superior on the 4 and the timbre of instruments are spot on. Bass is much better on the 4 with greater texture, slam and overall resolution that makes it almost "see through" and its probably a top 3 headphone in the world for bass. The midrange is magical on the LCD 4 and the clarity of vocals in some songs leave me speechless or on the verge of weeping. Soundstage is less on the LCD 4 but if you have a transformer based tube amp it will open up the soundstage and produce a more 3D presentation compared to SS amps. The treble on the LCD 3 extends more however, I prefer the less harsh treble on the 4 and it still has a wonderful airy treble with top tier resolution. I havent yet found a genre that doesn't play well with the LCD 4. The only downside is because its so revealing, you might find some music that just doesn't sound good on them. It isn't the headphones fault but the recordings/mastering.

The gear you are running will have a massive effect on the type of experience you will have with the 4. Once I paired them with the Cayin HA-3A and the Topping D90 it brought out the very best the headphone can offer.

Apr 9, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #11,051 of 12,053
Upgrading from the LCD 3 to the 4 will give you more detail/resolution and notes/voices in the background will become a lot more apparent. Stereo imaging is also superior on the 4 and the timbre of instruments are spot on. Bass is much better on the 4 with greater texture, slam and overall resolution that makes it almost "see through" and its probably a top 3 headphone in the world for bass. The midrange is magical on the LCD 4 and the clarity of vocals in some songs leave me speechless or on the verge of weeping. Soundstage is less on the LCD 4 but if you have a transformer based tube amp it will open up the soundstage and produce a more 3D presentation compared to SS amps. The treble on the LCD 3 extends more however, I prefer the less harsh treble on the 4 and it still has a wonderful airy treble with top tier resolution. I havent yet found a genre that doesn't play well with the LCD 4. The only downside is because its so revealing, you might find some music that just doesn't sound good on them. It isn't the headphones fault but the recordings/mastering.

The gear you are running will have a massive effect on the type of experience you will have with the 4. Once I paired them with the Cayin HA-3A and the Topping D90 it brought out the very best the headphone can offer.
Thank you for the detailed answer. Are these differences that you describe huge and "next level" or just more of what you know? How big are the differences

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #11,052 of 12,053
Thank you for the detailed answer. Are these differences that you describe huge and "next level" or just more of what you know? How big are the differences
These differences will be "next level" but requires good synergy and gear to get the most out of them. This headphone can scale endlessly and the higher quality gear you have, the more profound the differences will get. I initially ran them with the Topping A90D and the soundstage was very narrow, bass was ok but not the legendary bass people said it was and the energy in the music was ok. I then bought the Cayin HA-3A and it transformed them into absolute beasts, a complete night and day difference. The soundstage became wide and holographic. The bass was now the best I have ever heard and the music became so detailed that I could hear new things in the background for music I have listened to for years. The imaging was now pin point precise and vocals sounded like they were floating in mid air with a clarity to make you say "WOW". Instruments were also much better separated and it now feels like I have my own "Canjam Setup" in my room. I only had an LCD X when I went to Canjam last year and I was truly amazed at some of the stuff I was hearing. I now have this same experience with this amp and headphone.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #11,053 of 12,053
Yes the LCD4 can really deliver. If I could spot any weakness it would be the treble is recessed, and upper treble isn't, quite odd. The mid treble can be corrected by using Roon Reveal though. The bass is a monster, always lurking to pounce. I like it and feel it fits in with the soundscape it creates. The LCD4 appeals to this type of listener, and won't satisfy a Stax lover. Having said all this, don't take it as a negative, I use the LCD4 a LOT, love them and enjoy them immensely and will never sell them. I drive them out the DAVE direct, and soon out a tube pre and Passlabs power amp.

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #11,054 of 12,053
Simple answer: The LCD4 are a better LCD3. Maybe 10-20% better all around. Unlike the LCD5, which is a completely different beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back