Audeze LCD-4
Mar 28, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #10,984 of 12,031
EQ introduces post and pre echo. No EQ in the world don't add at least one of both.

I call BS. Source?
It‘s kind of true.
Only that “echo” is the complete wrong word for it.
”Echo” describes distinct repeats, which does not happen.

In fact transients are smeared in the time domain, specially by the so called “Linear Phase Filters”.
The effect (no matter which filters type) is called pre- and post-ringing (imagine the sound of hitting a bell for an very extreme variant).

But- a frequency irregularity of e.g. a headphone, does the exactly same ringing like an equally shaped EQ.

There are unnumbered measurements out there where frequency response and a waterfall plot of a headphone shows exactly that:
At the frequency response positions with the biggest irregularities the waterfall plot shows significant post-ringing.

Thankfully all natural “EQs” are “Minimum Phase Filters” (no pre-ringing, as in nature no sound exists before the cause producing it), a correction by such an inverted electric (or digital) Minimum Phase EQ in fact improves on the transient response.

The strongest ringing is with high-Q filters, that most times make no sense as corrective EQ.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #10,987 of 12,031
Picked up a 4 to add to my X on the used market. They came with no sound on both sides. Likely a hefty bill coming.
Never had a problem yet with used gear. How was it advertised?

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #10,988 of 12,031
Picked up a 4 to add to my X on the used market. They came with no sound on both sides. Likely a hefty bill coming.

Make sure the cables are seated nicely in headphone....try all of the obvious stuff first....then maybe contact the seller.

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #10,989 of 12,031
It's common knowledge amongst audiophiles, and therefore generally known and accepted as the fact that it is.
Common knowledge amongst audiophiles. Lol

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #10,990 of 12,031
It‘s kind of true.
Only that “echo” is the complete wrong word for it.
”Echo” describes distinct repeats, which does not happen.

In fact transients are smeared in the time domain, specially by the so called “Linear Phase Filters”.
The effect (no matter which filters type) is called pre- and post-ringing (imagine the sound of hitting a bell for an very extreme variant).

But- a frequency irregularity of e.g. a headphone, does the exactly same ringing like an equally shaped EQ.

There are unnumbered measurements out there where frequency response and a waterfall plot of a headphone shows exactly that:
At the frequency response positions with the biggest irregularities the waterfall plot shows significant post-ringing.

Thankfully all natural “EQs” are “Minimum Phase Filters” (no pre-ringing, as in nature no sound exists before the cause producing it), a correction by such an inverted electric (or digital) Minimum Phase EQ in fact improves on the transient response.

The strongest ringing is with high-Q filters, that most times make no sense as corrective EQ.
Well I’ve been using eq with all my headphones for years as have many other “audiophiles” (including Resolve) and I’ve certainly never noticed any of the effects you’ve described. Perhaps I’m not enough of an audiophile to notice.

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #10,991 of 12,031
Well I’ve been using eq with all my headphones for years as have many other “audiophiles” (including Resolve) and I’ve certainly never noticed any of the effects you’ve described. Perhaps I’m not enough of an audiophile to notice.
I personally only bump up the bass regions in the LCD 4.

+3db at 32hz & +8db at 100hz

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #10,992 of 12,031
Sure, because the effect is not “Echo”, and not unnatural.
Plus- as mentioned, proper EQ improves on the transient response!

We don’t have a strong sense for transient response, specially not for post ringing.
Just some ringing like a strong, high Q boost on the bass e.g. can sound boomy - but who does that?

I’m doing EQ on most of my ‘phones.
LCD-4 already sounds good without on contemporary, “Loudness War II” Pop-Music masters.

With more naturally recorded Jazz and Classical a little correction in the presence range is welcomed here.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #10,995 of 12,031
Yes. Andrew from Audeze has been in touch. Shipping back for checks. Last in factory was in 2017 so perhaps the drivers may have given up. If so, its a steep cost.
I believe Audeze UK will charge you around £1250 to replace the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back