Audeze LCD-4
Feb 8, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #5,507 of 12,053
My usual level with the dave and the LCD 4 100ohm is -8db, except with dsd I go to 0db or + depending. This is a high level but not very high (i would say 75 to 85 db)

What is the level with the LCD 4 200ohm on the dave to reach 75/85db ?

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #5,508 of 12,053
  My usual level with the dave and the LCD 4 100ohm is -8db, except with dsd I go to 0db or + depending. This is a high level but not very high (i would say 75 to 85 db)

What is the level with the LCD 4 200ohm on the dave to reach 75/85db ?

using the 200ohm version with my Dave I find myself listening between -15 and -5 more often than not occasionally going to 0 or to 20 depending on the recording

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #5,509 of 12,053
Out of everything I own and tried to date the LCD-4 is still my favorite. Anyone who appreciates deep solid clean bass also prefered the LCD-4 over the Utopia at the NYC CanJam from our demo system. It's just so satisfying but never overwhelming. Always gets my foot tapping.

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #5,513 of 12,053
I'm asking because my UK dealer told me the LCD-4 now comes only with 1/4'. I could just change the plug myself but I don't get why Audeze doesn't ship with an XLR and an adapter.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #5,517 of 12,053
I didn't know the LCD-4 is not shipping with the blue cable anymore. I got a black and white braided cable so maybe the new one only comes with a 6.3.
Yes I am using these with the Moon 600i. I have a butchered norne draug v2 cable terminated with a female 4 pin xlr for connection so I cannot use the standard cable unless I reterminate it.

This is my third day with the LCD-4. The first couple of hours were a disappointment as I felt the LCD-3F sounded better.
After about 20 hours these really opened up either from burn in or brain adjustment but they now sound like I expected them to and exceeded the LCD-3F to the point that they sound veiled but I think that is not a surprised to anyone who has listened to both.
The low end is very good, these are the first headphones where I don't feel the need to add 3db eq to the 60hz region which I did even on the Abyss/HEK.
The midrange is clear, wonderful, not as up front as the LCD-3F which might be my only criticism of these but I guess that is personal preference.
Treble is much more noticeable but never fatiguing and the main reason I traded the Abyss for these.

I really like the new pads on these. On the LCD-3 my ears would sometimes touch the fazors but these are thicker and seem of a higher quality.
On comfort I much prefer the LCD-3 because I can bend the metal headband so I wouldn't feel any clamping force. With the carbon fiber I cannot do that and on my big head they have an HD650 death grip. Might do the unthinkable and use the LCD-3 headband on the LCD-4.

The cable provided is of very high quality. I have briefly compared it to my Norne Zoetic and the stock one feel a little airier but I will have to some more testing.

If I would have to describe these in one word I would say they sound rich. Seems like the best traits from LCD-3 and LCD-X but I don't think the price is justified. As good as they are I would put them in the 3000$ range. In my case I was determined to find the best headphone for my tastes and having owned most of the high end ones and auditioned the others like HE-1, 009 on the MSB/Blue Hawaii amps, I find the LCD-4 the best for my preferences. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #5,518 of 12,053
I was kinda shocked that the Audeze blue cable sounds better than my pricey Dana Cable Lazuli one. The Dana looks way cooler but it's been living in my tube drawer since I tried out the blue one.

I think I'm underpowering my LCD-4s via WA22. It takes my best tubes and significant volume to get the bass to kick decently. By that point everything else is too loud for prolonged listening. I've heard the 4s at canjam on other gear like the King amp and the low end was much fuller at lower volume so I'm thinking I have a problem with power. As far as midrange forwardness, they are definitely capable of that. My metal base sylvania driver tubes push highly textured mids right in your face like with the Xs. The 4s can really do it all with the right setup.

Ugh, I really don't wanna upgrade from my beloved WA22 but I can kinda tell it's not gonna push the 4s to full potential.

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #5,519 of 12,053
I used to own a WA22 then switched to a Cavalli Liquid Fire. I do not own LCD-4's yet but my LCD-2 (non-fazor) It was a significant improvement in every way. The Bass is stellar. I did test the Liquid Gold prototype and it was a huge jump over my LF. Lots of power and detail. The 4's are in my future this year. Just upgraded(still waiting for new 9038 Pro chip to arrive) my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 to v2 DSDse so I have to wait a bit.

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #5,520 of 12,053
  I used to own a WA22 then switched to a Cavalli Liquid Fire. I do not own LCD-4's yet but my LCD-2 (non-fazor) It was a significant improvement in every way. The Bass is stellar. I did test the Liquid Gold prototype and it was a huge jump over my LF. Lots of power and detail. The 4's are in my future this year. Just upgraded(still waiting for new 9038 Pro chip to arrive) my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 to v2 DSDse so I have to wait a bit.

You wont be disappointed with the LCD4, it sounds different than LCD3 fazor, its way more balanced through the whole sound specter, but just make sure you have enough power to properly drive them. 

Personally I am looking at possible put a tube amp between the dac and the amp to get some of that tube sound and play with different tubes. But Im not sure, as my V281 amp is warm but gives more than enough power to the LCD4 !

When I connect my LCD4 to my Centrance Mini-M8 (mini-XLR4), and starts to get to the same listening level Im used to, the bass and middle tone is more rounded off and sloppy compared to using LCD4 on the V281. Centrance unit has a AKM chip, so it sounds good in higher frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back