Audeze LCD-4 Amp recommendations?
Sep 25, 2016 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

amaranthin3

New Head-Fier
I am planning on getting an Audeze LCD-4 soon, and I am in need of an amp/dac.  Right now for mobile use I have a Shure SE846 along with a SHA900, and i'm unsure if that'll provide enough power to the LCD-4's.  I was looking at the OPPO HA-1 because it has an input to plug in your iPhone which i can stream tidal off of.  I was also looking at the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies but some people say that it doesn't have a very good dac inside of it.  Really what I'm in need of is a DAC and amp which will provide good clarity on mids and nice bass for the Audeze LCD-4.  any ideas?

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm a newb and have some knowledge based on reading reviews, but nothing direct with the equipment you're looking into. Nevertheless, I might be able to provide a useful 2¢. If I'm not mistaken, the Audeze LCD series tends to be warm, sometimes veiled even. The best thing to for a warm headphone is to not give it a warm amp. Something analytical and even somewhat bright should provide synergy. For something in the price range of an LCD4, I'd go with something like the Auralic Taurus Mk. II or HeadAmp GS-X II, the GS-X possibly being the better of the two.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm listening them with an EAR Yoshino HP4, this is a sumptuous combo !

Everything seems balanced and refined from low to high.

The most impressive fact is, I have the feeling that I could turn the knob over and over. And no, not because I need more volume. Because I can. No effort, no grain, no distortion, just fatigue-free escapism. Transparency is just out-of-this world, and playback with high-quality sources and music was unnerving.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 11
I have the LCD-3 with the Oppo HA-1. I highly recommend the combo. The Oppo HA-1 is tough to beat as it is class A, and has a wide array of functionality. I use my iPad as source quite a bit with the Camera Connection Kit which allows for bit perfect input. Additionally, I love that I can use the Oppo as a pre-amp for my Genelec monitors.

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 11
I use Wa7 and tube power supply with my LCD-3F (2016) and love it. I do have the newer second gen with upgraded DAC. So i am not sure if many still feel the DAC is a weakness. I also am going to be getting the LCD-4 soon (hopefully). some say Wa7 is not powerful enough for 200 ohm LCD-4 but with LCD-3 i only need volume between 10-12 for most things so i assume Wa7 owners should be all good to use LCD4. Will update with impressions

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 11
  LCD 4 is not the same beast harder to drive than lcd 3 :wink:

The LCD 4 is specced at 97dB/1mW with optimal power between 1-4W. The OPPO HA-1 should have no trouble driving the LCD-4 with balanced output at 2W into 32ohms and 800mW into 600 ohms with peaks of 3W and 2.4W respectively. In contrast the HP4 is specced at 600mW. Unless I'm missing something the HA-1 should be able to drive the LCD 4 better than the Ear.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 11
What do you mean when you say solid state power is not equal to tube power? Are you implying that 1W from a tube is different than 1W from solid state?

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm using GSK2 w/ my LCD4s, it really brings more clarity to the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back