Audeze LCD-3 vs Fostex TH-900?
Dec 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #316 of 356
Well other than it may not be able to power cans that need 2 or more watts, and I would like it if someone to post that they tried and what happened, what's not to like about the a8. 32 bit 192 capability, infinite volume control, large gain selection, nice soundstage, maybe a little wet, two outputs, lots of input options. Really im a newbie who started with th900 and paired it up with their flagship amp as a middle course pricing option. As a starter I didn't realize that I might want to spend 5 times more and get a a tubed up wa5 or something.
I'm also in the process of getting new cable for my th900 and can't wait for what is already good soundstage to be improved. Maybe once I test it out I may just realize I lucked out on my first foray into refrence amp and cans and just be satisfied. Funny it's the same with my portable rig, fell into 846, upgraded the cable to a"monster pipe" the quad ribbon, and probably have in my mind the best out and about there is. Added vamp Verza and realized yes I could have spent thousands more, but for what exactly.
Sorry for the digress, concerning the a8, it's a fine dac, have nothing bad to say other than sure, I could have spent way more. Cheers.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I am thinking seriously about getting one.

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #317 of 356
I originally purchased the HPA8 and TH900 as a pair, and what a great pair they made. At that time, I was able to try them with both the LCD2/3 (pre-fazor), and I had a burson conductor in house to compare to. I'm not going to tell you anything you don't already know. The conductor has a lot more power, and drives the Audeze cans better because of it. That said, I like the DAC in the Fostex (Asahi Kasei's AK4399) by a large margin.

Eventually, I moved to a desktop speaker system, and sold my th900's. However, I was so enamored with the HPA8 DAC that I kept it, and it's part of that small-room sound system (an old A/V receiver, fed lossless by my mac through the HPA8's Asahi Kasei DAC, to a pair of B&W CM5's). I'm very happy with it in this configuration - haven't used it as a headphone amp in a long time. 

EDIT: if you're looking for something to power either th900 or lcd3 - you may want to give the oppo ha-1 a look. It has a ESS 9018 Sabre DAC, and more importantly - a clean, powerful amp section with both single-ended and balanced outputs. Folks in the Ha-1 thread are posting great results with both sets of cans with this unit, and at about $1k USD - the price is competitive.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #318 of 356
^ the ESS Sabre 9018 is the same as what can be configured in the burson conductor/soloist, with about the same power output (although you'd need to run the lcd 2/3/x/xc balanced to get said power output.)

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #319 of 356
Ah, this looks like an older thread, but I was looking for a place to leave my two cents, and this just happens to have the right title :)

I own both the TH900's and the LCD3s, the first I use every day at the office (with a HeadRoom UDA), and the second I use at home, with a Schiit Gungnir/Brystone amp. The sound on the LCD3s is every bit as impressive as other people mention, but...but...the TH900s make me smile every time I put them on. For some reason the music always sounds better than I expected. People have described them as "colored", and I think they're right. Also, they're extra comfortable to use.

Bottom line is: I'm actually thinking on selling my LCDs, I really want to love them, and the sound quality is there, but somehow, somehow they are not as satisfactory for me as the Fostex's, 

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #321 of 356
Hi All,

I have read some parts of this thread briefly and I was wondering if anyone can affirm the impressions Im having of them, because I can't hear them side by side in my country.

Fostex TH-900
-Spacious in staging, solid precise imaging
- slightly bassy with great extension impact and weight
- slightly recessed midrange with sparkly top end
- U shaped tonal balance overall
- comfortable and light

Audeze LCD-3
- Natural neutralish bass with good impact but not much elevation.
- full rich midrange with slightly darkened top end
- good imaging and staging but loses out the th900

Anybody can input for lcd-XC? I simply fell in love with how it looks.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #322 of 356
Hi All,

I have read some parts of this thread briefly and I was wondering if anyone can affirm the impressions Im having of them, because I can't hear them side by side in my country.

Fostex TH-900
-Spacious in staging, solid precise imaging
- slightly bassy with great extension impact and weight
- slightly recessed midrange with sparkly top end
- U shaped tonal balance overall
- comfortable and light

Audeze LCD-3
- Natural neutralish bass with good impact but not much elevation.
- full rich midrange with slightly darkened top end
- good imaging and staging but loses out the th900

Anybody can input for lcd-XC? I simply fell in love with how it looks.

You ever had any Audezes ? LCDXC is very heavy and uncomfortable, if you are ok with that then it's an option.
I really like the look of Audezes but not very practical in everyday use.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #324 of 356
I have heard them before and the stereo imaging of the XC sort of stunned me Ina good way

word of warning: audeze headphones are extremely heavy compared to everything else on the market. listening to just one or two song isn't really going to give you a good sense if they will be comfortable for you. I would recommend trying to do an extended demo (like 30 minutes at least to see if you can handle the weight and hotspots on the headband). I had comfort issues after 20 minutes.

if not, there are two different mods that can help: seat belt cushion wraps (like the one from diono, btw not sure why the price jumped: was only like $8 when i got mine) or the leather suspension strap from head-fi user lohb

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #325 of 356

You ever had any Audezes ? LCDXC is very heavy and uncomfortable, if you are ok with that then it's an option.
I really like the look of Audezes but not very practical in everyday use.

I concur. I recently sold my LCD3s and looked for something complementary to my TH-900s, which I love dearly. Ended up hunting down a pair of Audio Technica ATH-W3000 ANVs, definitely not as "savvy" as my old Audezes, but I appreciate their sweet, mellow sound, and their comfortable fit. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #326 of 356
I have heard the W3000 and the LCDs side by side and technicalities aside, they are two headphonea that differ a lot but the w3000 weird earpads just didn't work it for me.

I understand the lcd series of Audeze are heavy and possibly uncomfortable and hence why the Fostex th-900 is very compelling.

I listen to pop, electronica, indie classical, vocals, instrumentals, jazz. (In that order of frequency with pop being most often.

Would the th-900 work for me? If so the next step wld be to hunt out a amplifier DAC.

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #327 of 356
Yes

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #328 of 356
Have you considered Senhheiser's HD800? For classical, vocals, instrumental, and jazz they are probably some of the best around, and they are also the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried on. The only thing to consider is that they can be "too neutral". They are extremely analytic, sometimes leaning towards the "cold" side of things. I'd say:

- TH900: Comfortable, nicely colored sound. You must like the way they add phonetics to your music.
- HD800: VERY comfortable. Neutral sound. True to source, but ruthless with poor recordings, plus you might need some warm amplifier to counter their analytic spirit.

Something else to consider :)

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #329 of 356
I'd
Have you considered Senhheiser's HD800? For classical, vocals, instrumental, and jazz they are probably some of the best around, and they are also the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried on. The only thing to consider is that they can be "too neutral". They are extremely analytic, sometimes leaning towards the "cold" side of things. I'd say:

- TH900: Comfortable, nicely colored sound. You must like the way they add phonetics to your music.
- HD800: VERY comfortable. Neutral sound. True to source, but ruthless with poor recordings, plus you might need some warm amplifier to counter their analytic spirit.

Something else to consider :)

Nah don't want a hd800 thanks

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #330 of 356
The sound preference is YMMV but the LCDs are too heavy for me.
confused_face.gif
 I will choose TH900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back