Audeze LCD-3 Setup and Source Help
Mar 5, 2014 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thatguychad

New Head-Fier
Hi All

I am brand new to this hobby.  It is frankly a bit intimidating.  I am interested in making informed decisions that will not kill my bank account entirely :)  Enough disclaiming, on to my issue.

I recently purchased a pair of Audeze LCD-3 headphones and a Bryston BAH-1 amp.  Most of the music I listen to is online, tons of it through streaming services now like Rdio and others.  I am aware this is a poor source for music.  I have started to re-squire some HDtracks files but their selection is poor and I don't love the process. I would purchase a good CD player and then go buy some CD's again if this would make a real difference in quality and I knew which one to get :)

All of my music sources, from my computer, my sonos, my turntable, even my my keyboards and guitars are routed into a Mackie mixer.  The mixer connects to a pair of monitor powered speakers through the main outs.  I also run the control room output into the BAH-1 headphone amp and connect my LCD-3's to this.

My question is about the mixer and if this is in fact a very poor choice for this type of listening.  I use the mixer because it is a good solution for the multiple sources I have that include instruments.  I fear however that this kind of thing may introduce things into the sound that will kill the best sound quality that I am looking to achieve.  

Need help with the CD player, getting some help on good source setups, and thoughts on having a mixer in…the mix so to speak :wink:

Your experience is greatly appreciated. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 6
A good DAC won't hurt :)
Does the mixer have digital output?
Regarding streaming, something like spotify premium with its 320 kbit ogg is fine, you probably won't be able to discern between that and cd quality.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Seems you don't need fancy features, just inputs and output?
Your mixer did have some kind of digital out?

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 6
I don't think so.  

Main Features: 
• 12-channel premium analog mixer with integrated 24-bit/96kHz FireWire I/O 
•Compatible with all major DAWs including Pro Tools, SONAR, Cubase, Ableton Live, Logic and Final Cut Pro 
• 4 Onyx boutique-quality mic preamps 
• 3-band Perkins EQ with sweepable mids on mic/line channels 
• 3-band Perkins EQ on stereo line channels 
•16 x 2 FireWire routing, for simultaneous streaming of aux sends and pre/post EQ assignment for all channels
• Stereo playback from DAW, returned to control room or into channel for integration into mix 
• 2 aux sends with pre/post assignment 
• Smooth 60mm channel and master faders 
• Built-in DI on first two channels for direct connection of guitars, bass, etc. 
• Individual 48V phantom power switches on all mic inputs 
• Talkback section with built in mic and flexible routing 
• "Planet Earth" switching power supply for worldwide use 
• Includes Tracktion 3 Music Production Software for Mac and PC (upgrade to version 4 available) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back