Audeze LCD 3 plus Ipod - Amp suggestions?
Jan 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 16
From what I have heard from folks who have owned both he LCD2 and 3 the three does not respond as well to portable amplification. However, if you do want to go that route I recommend something with a decent amount of power so would recommend two amps from personal experience. The Meier Corda Stepdance to which you can add an external energizer battery (for your use I would say that is essential). If you search the forum for that amp you will find threads where the addition is explained.

I had that amp and loved it and would recommend it to anyone. I now own the RSA SR71-B amp which can operate in both balanced and single ended mode and would highly recommend running it in balanced as it gives more power as well as headroom, control and an effortless delivery. You would need to purchase a balanced cable terminated with the suitable termination but that is no problem as there are a number of excellent cable makers capable of doing that. From personal experience I recommend Toxic cables silver poison which is silver with 1% gold which gives a lovely rich but detailed sound on my LCD2's.

Also, seeing as you have such high quality headphones and will be using a higher quality portable amp have you thought about improving the sound from your source to compliment such fine headphones? If so I can heartily recommend the Cypher Labs algorithm solo which is a portable external DAC/transport. It makes a huge difference to the sound quality and makes a portable set up feel like a home based set up with the right amp!

I know it is all extra cost, the blackbird is $650 and the solo around $579 plus add in cabling, I payed around $214 for my headphone cable and figure in around the same amount for the two cables you will need for the CLAS/Classic combo but to be honest with such fine headphones it is well worth it!

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 16
Jan 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 16
the JDS one looks really interesting but it looks a little bulky for portable use, is more more like a portable desk top amp rather than walk around which being honest is a moot need anyway with the LCD's!

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 16
it really all depends on how portable you need it to be.

and yeah.. LCD's are probably one of the least possible portable headphones ever..  but of course "portable" can mean all kinds of things and unless you want to go jogging with it.. agian not likely with LCD's, its probably not an issue at all.

The sound however, is just spectacular, and i'm not saying  "for a portable amp its spectacular"  I'm saying - I'd be willing to bet you could blind test against a monster of an amp and not tell much if any difference, spectacular.

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 16
The ALO Continental with the CLAS works pretty well with the LCD-3s (way better with the LCD-2s (R1 in my case) though), but the setup is too expensive IMO (~$1000) if you're just using that setup with the LCD-3s. That money would go a much longer way toward a desktop amp.

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
the JDS one looks really interesting but it looks a little bulky for portable use, is more more like a portable desk top amp rather than walk around which being honest is a moot need anyway with the LCD's!

Well yes and no. Yes it's not very portable (but is still portable), no that the LCDs need a desktop amp. It's pretty obvious it's a troll thread anyway. Too bad this troll didn't do his homework and assumed everyone thinks headphones need $2,000 tube amps. It's actually pretty funny how few negative reactions he got.

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 16
Yes, I see he has not posted again since getting the advice he asked. Must admit though, I have gained as I get to discover read threads and research the JDS which looks a fascinating amp.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 16
Objective2 isn't really portable though. If you're pushing portable, a stretch, but the ALO Continental is perhaps one of the best, if not the best portable amp I've ever tried. It will have bags of power for it too (out of my iPhone 4 using the default Music player I listen at around the 10'o'clock position with my T1's, so I literally have 3/4's of the volume knob left). Otherwise something like the SR-71B (for balanced), SR-71A (non balanced). I'm sure JDS Lab's new c421 will be amazing. Even their cheap as chips cMoyBB's give far more expensive portable amps a run for their money.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 16
the lcd-3 isn't very portable. you won't get the best out of them unless you get a good desktop amp for them.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
the lcd-3 isn't very portable. you won't get the best out of them unless you get a good desktop amp for them.

Bingo!
smile.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 16
I don't get it: why someone would think of using such a brilliant (and expensive) headphones with bloody Ipod? lol

Better go to the store and get westone 4 =p

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:

+1 on this.. its a heck of an amp.. I use one for my LCD-2's and they sound fantastic.  Dont let the low price deceive you.

I'm curious about this amp and the hype etc..... For a hundred notes I'm not gonna lose sleep if it doesn't  blow me away. I have ordered one tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back