Audeze LCD-3 Impressions and Reviews
Oct 13, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 235
Heya,

Cool. Maybe some 2's will hit the market place at lower prices as people upgrade to the 3's.
tongue_smile.gif

Very best,

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 235

I hate my life.  I wonder if the drivers are even different, I mean how many times per year can one revise them?

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 235
This thread might turn out to be very interesting.

I wonder if the differences will be so large. They do seem to have a fresh look, if it means anyhting.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 235
Yeah, the chiropractor-requiring LCD2s are by no means light.  If they gave it a magnesium frame and figured out some other ways for weight loss, then maybe it would warrant a much higher price.  But I feel fairly cheated having just bought rev 2's.  

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 235
Yeah, the chiropractor-requiring LCD2s are by no means light.  If they gave it a magnesium frame and figured out some other ways for weight loss, then maybe it would warrant a much higher price.  But I feel fairly cheated having just bought rev 2's.  

I think the major part of the weight is caused by the large amount of magnets they have to put in.

Neodymium magnets have a fixed weight. They could try getting other magnets, but I doubt that would do much good to the strength of the magnetic field.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 235
Quote:
I dont care for that wood in the press released picture, am i the only one?

You're not alone. I like the darker wood of the LCD-2 more. I also prefer the wood cable connector tabs on the LCD-2 to the metal ones in that image, but the metal ones would be less susceptible to imperfections.

They probably should have went for a different look. This just looks like an LCD-2 with yet another driver, but this time a heftier price tag.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 235
Quote:
You're not alone. I like the darker wood of the LCD-2 more. I also prefer the wood cable connector tabs on the LCD-2 to the metal ones in that image, but the metal ones would be less susceptible to imperfections.

They probably should have went for a different look. This just looks like an LCD-2 with yet another driver, but this time a heftier price tag.

That would be cool if they did a chrome version, or some type of carbon fiber (with copper grills
beerchug.gif
) pair of headphones.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 235
Interesting!  Almost looks like zebrawood.

I would have to agree that the triangle looking metal mini-xlr housings don't quite fit with the overall flow of the design, imo. 

I wonder what changes they made to the driver this time.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 235
I don't see why they don't use carbon fiber.  It can be like a porsche situation - charge more for less.  Exotic woods are often more expensive than a carbon fiber shell, and carbon fiber is actually quite good in terms of its audio quality, most charts I have seen say it is better than wood in fact.

I've actually been debating making my own headphones (they would be a gimbal :frowning2: ) and using carbon fiber - cheaper and looks awesome.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 235
Yeah, the metal triangles look out of place.  They are probably more for durability.  But they could have given them a more organic look.  I'll still buy them if they're good, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back