Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #7,321 of 7,334
Any recommendations for replacement pads? My vegan pads are flaking up. I would prefer to go with leather or at least something that doesn't flake up like the OG pads do. And the pads need to be glued in?
I would recommend to go with the leather pads as Audeze confirmed there no change in sound compared to the stock ones.
Yes, all the pads need to be glued in.

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #7,322 of 7,334
I would recommend to go with the leather pads as Audeze confirmed there no change in sound compared to the stock ones.
Yes, all the pads need to be glued in.
Thanks. Do you mean Audeze branded leather pads? Has anyone tried any after market pads, assuming they exist?

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #7,323 of 7,334
Thanks. Do you mean Audeze branded leather pads? Has anyone tried any after market pads, assuming they exist?
The original come at a steep price (106 EUR if I remember correctly), but you are sure not to get sound deterioration. And they are suoer comfortable. The Dekoni aftermarket come at something like 50 EUR but they say they are way less comfortable and I suspect you get a sound degradation. Pads do a lot for the final tuning of the headphone. If you are located in Europe you can buy the originals here, it’s the cheapest that I found https://www.thomann.de/it/audeze_lcd_ear_pads_leather.htm

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #7,324 of 7,334
So I've had mine for a few days now...

coming from Grado PS500 -> Sundara -> These

PS500 makes everything fun. They're like having a pair of Kenrick Sounds JBL on your ears, never fatigue, my favourite sound of all cans I've heard. But the terrible fit and abysmal build quality (barely held together by super glue these days) had me seeking something new.
Sundara kind of fits everything but I lack the oomph (somewehat redeemed by the bass button on Zen Can), but it led me here.

These are special. For good and bad(?). Out of the box they're completely changing the way songs are presented. Metal is simultaneously in your face but has that quality normally only speakers bring... is this soundstage?

I normally don't EQ anything ever. But might have to give it a go on these since the rolled of highs are very noticeable in certain songs.

Listening thru a Pioneer u-05 or a "stack" with zen dac v2 + can. Not so much hi in hi-fi. I do wonder how stupidly loud some of you are listening though, since the weak Pioneer drives these (for me) piercingly loud at 9 o' clock,

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #7,325 of 7,334
So I've had mine for a few days now...

coming from Grado PS500 -> Sundara -> These

PS500 makes everything fun. They're like having a pair of Kenrick Sounds JBL on your ears, never fatigue, my favourite sound of all cans I've heard. But the terrible fit and abysmal build quality (barely held together by super glue these days) had me seeking something new.
Sundara kind of fits everything but I lack the oomph (somewehat redeemed by the bass button on Zen Can), but it led me here.

These are special. For good and bad(?). Out of the box they're completely changing the way songs are presented. Metal is simultaneously in your face but has that quality normally only speakers bring... is this soundstage?

I normally don't EQ anything ever. But might have to give it a go on these since the rolled of highs are very noticeable in certain songs.

Listening thru a Pioneer u-05 or a "stack" with zen dac v2 + can. Not so much hi in hi-fi. I do wonder how stupidly loud some of you are listening though, since the weak Pioneer drives these (for me) piercingly loud at 9 o' clock,
Glad you like the LCD-2C. They're excellent cans. And your perception of their sound matched mine.

I enjoyed the LCD-2C without EQ. But I also have a three-band analog JDS Labs equalizer, and turning up the treble dial just a smidge and turning down the mids dial just a smidge elevated the clarity and eliminated that touch of vocal shoutiness in the stock signature. My LCD-2C sang with those minimal EQ changes.

Good luck!

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #7,326 of 7,334
Glad you like the LCD-2C. They're excellent cans. And your perception of their sound matched mine.

I enjoyed the LCD-2C without EQ. But I also have a three-band analog JDS Labs equalizer, and turning up the treble dial just a smidge and turning down the mids dial just a smidge elevated the clarity and eliminated that touch of vocal shoutiness in the stock signature. My LCD-2C sang with those minimal EQ changes.

Good luck!
Is it this EQ: https://jdslabs.com/product/subjective3/

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #7,328 of 7,334
That's it!

Nice little unit. But only worth it if you need Wasapi Exclusive, bit-perfect output or if you're on a Mac. Otherwise, just grab Peace APO for free for Windows, which is far more detailed, 10-band parametric EQ.
Welp. Hard to go back to default after running them thru the Peace APO EQ.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #7,329 of 7,334
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #7,330 of 7,334
Get this and never look back
https://www.schiit.com/products/lokius
Unless you have deeper pockets for this
https://www.schiit.com/products/loki-max
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

Found someone who had the same Pioneer and upgrade to the RME-something-something and was very happy, but never did A-B testing.
These cans are stupidly easy to drive. Even more so than the Sundara. The AMP in my Pioneer is more than sufficent.

I'll try a few high-end DACs in a shop near me when I get the chance. But the audosciencewhatever site has some good points in that most DACs are transparent enough today that It's more a taste of whatever colour you prefer the DAC to bring to the sound and I've been more than happy with the Pioneer as DAC for my PS500, Sundara, Beyerdynamic T1 and these.
The guy who sold me the LCD2C had a $1300+ something dac/amp combo but had tuned his setup to sound like absolute ass. I can barely hear a difference between the Pioneer DAC (ca. 2014) and the Zen DAC v2 (much newer but cheaper...).

I'd like to have one of the newer Moon or Mcintosh devices because of how they look (mostly) but they're way overpriced. had a few Moon components for a Stereo setup and really liked them. But I've left the "higher"-end days behind me.

The more I listen to these and compare to Sundara (with Zen bass boost) I feel that LCD2C may not justify the price with how recessed the highs are. It may be a better upgrade to can these cans and buy a pair of more expensive ones that fit my preferred signature without tinkering.

Will not import anything from abroad. I'll rather pay slightly more locally and be able to bring it in for services etc if needed. It will cost nearly $100 to ship the Schiit products.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #7,331 of 7,334
Found someone who had the same Pioneer and upgrade to the RME-something-something and was very happy, but never did A-B testing.
These cans are stupidly easy to drive. Even more so than the Sundara. The AMP in my Pioneer is more than sufficent.

I'll try a few high-end DACs in a shop near me when I get the chance. But the audosciencewhatever site has some good points in that most DACs are transparent enough today that It's more a taste of whatever colour you prefer the DAC to bring to the sound and I've been more than happy with the Pioneer as DAC for my PS500, Sundara, Beyerdynamic T1 and these.
The guy who sold me the LCD2C had a $1300+ something dac/amp combo but had tuned his setup to sound like absolute ass. I can barely hear a difference between the Pioneer DAC (ca. 2014) and the Zen DAC v2 (much newer but cheaper...).

I'd like to have one of the newer Moon or Mcintosh devices because of how they look (mostly) but they're way overpriced. had a few Moon components for a Stereo setup and really liked them. But I've left the "higher"-end days behind me.

The more I listen to these and compare to Sundara (with Zen bass boost) I feel that LCD2C may not justify the price with how recessed the highs are. It may be a better upgrade to can these cans and buy a pair of more expensive ones that fit my preferred signature without tinkering.

Will not import anything from abroad. I'll rather pay slightly more locally and be able to bring it in for services etc if needed. It will cost nearly $100 to ship the Schiit products.
You can never go wrong with a Mcintosh but yes $100 is too much for shipping charges for the Lokius.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #7,332 of 7,334
Even with the bass boost Sundara can't match the fun and musicality of the LCD2C. It's not perfect but it makes you enjoy the music that much more IMO.
If you are into Sundara's sound signature, that's a whole different story. If you are not into EQ, 2C may not sound best for you IMO.

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #7,334 of 7,334

Users who are viewing this thread

Back