Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #931 of 7,334
Ok guys...my LCD2C arrived this afternoon and I have been listening to them for 4 hours straight and really really liking what I am hearing so far. Just for reference, I also own LCD2.2F as well as a pair of LCD3 and am using Tidal HiFi through a Burson Conductor with USB DAC. I have always found the Burson to have great synergy with Audeze headphones. Here are my initial impressions:

1) Suspension Headband + Braided Cable are very nice upgrades. The suspension headband is a total game-changer and I really hope that Audeze starts selling it as a separate accessory. I will add it to all my other LCDs immediately. I find it to be even more comfortable than the Lohb strap. I sometimes find that the Lohb strap slightly increases the clamping force of the headphone and that is not the case with the new headband.

A typical Audeze listening session for me used to be about 45 minutes long and I am always tugging on (and re-positioning) the headphones to try to make them comfortable. For the first time ever, I was able to just listen to my music (for hours on end) without even thinking about comfort. These headphones just melt into your head.

2) Sound Impressions: most of the info I have read about the LCD2C, it is always referred to as a very dark headphone and likened to the HD650. I don't really like the HD650 because I find it to be too laid back and boring, so I was concerned about ordering the LCD2C blind. I really like some sparkle on the top end and powerful mids that are not muddy. Well...these headphones deliver an amazingly balanced performance with much more upper-mid than I was expecting. Male and Female vocals sound amazing...deep, but soulful. The low end is well controlled and deep with excellent decay. The headphone is very musical and enjoyable (not analytical) while at the same time being very exciting to listen to. It is not bloated, overly-dark or dry in any way. I was very surprised how good these sound and for the $$ they are an absolute no-brainer. They devour every type of music I have thrown at them so far and sound especially great with acoustic, vocals, jazz, etc.

I will continue posting impressions as I get more time with them, but color me seriously impressed. After only a few hours, I feel like these are simply the best value on the market right now at the $600 price point (especially when you consider they cost only 25-30% of the price of my LCD3).

I highly recommend the LCD2C...if you are on the fence, pull the trigger ASAP!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #932 of 7,334
If you use Roon, then you absolutely must check out the Audeze preset. For everyone else: https://www.audeze.com/audeze-reveal-plugin
Hi - does the Reveal plugin (set to 100% wet) approximate the effect of the Roon plugin? I don’t use Roon but would like to know the best setting for Reveal.

I don't really like the HD650 because I find it to be too laid back and boring, so I was concerned about ordering the LCD2C blind. I really like some sparkle on the top end and powerful mids that are not muddy. Well...these headphones deliver an amazingly balanced performance with much more upper-mid than I was expecting. Male and Female vocals sound amazing...deep, but soulful. The low end is well controlled and deep with excellent decay. The headphone is very musical and enjoyable (not analytical) while at the same time being very exciting to listen to.
This is EXACTLY how I feel about the HD650 and the LCD-2 (late 2016 F).

I feel like these are simply the best value on the market right now at the $600 price point (especially when you consider they cost only 25-30% of the price of my LCD3).
Speaking if which, can you share some impressions on how they compare to your LCD-3? Is it the 3F? Thanks!

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #933 of 7,334
Dec 21, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #935 of 7,334
Guys, I'm literally foaming at the mouth reading this thread the last few pages. Cannot wait for Christmas morning. All of my other gifts are going to take the back burner I think

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #939 of 7,334
im literally ready to order the el-8 open back, but waiting for these is tempting. uk price unknown at this point along with exact release date..might not be able to afford them. do they sound much different to el8?

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #940 of 7,334
I'm tempted to just send one of you LCD-2C owners my pair to do a comparison. :beerchug:

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #941 of 7,334
I will today or tomorrow.

Interested as well. AFO is an amazing pair of headphones and checks all the boxes off for me but the LCD-2C seems like a great complimentary pair that'll give me the low end rumble i'm looking for.

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #942 of 7,334
Interested as well. AFO is an amazing pair of headphones and checks all the boxes off for me but the LCD-2C seems like a great complimentary pair that'll give me the low end rumble i'm looking for.
Afo has some nice rumble too but ill make sure to a/b them i kinda wish i had a balanced audeze cable.

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #943 of 7,334
I'd also like to add that from my experience the HD 650 has more energy than my pre-fazor LCD-2. This has to do with the HD 650's more forward mid-range, top-end energy and narrow sound-stage. Everything is just more in-your-face and semi-claustrophobic. The energy is simply more contained and focused while the LCD-2 is more spread out because of the holographic and wider soundstage.

The LCD-2 is just more mature than the HD 650. That's how I see it, but I digress.
I'm tempted to jump on this Holiday special. It is an absolute steal especially considering that I purchased by pre-fazor LCD-2 for $650.

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #944 of 7,334
Afo has some nice rumble too but ill make sure to a/b them i kinda wish i had a balanced audeze cable.

Certain songs like Daft Punk's - Doing It Right or Distal - Flowers have serious sub bass that's not conveyed as well as it could on the AFO. If the LCD-2 can fill that role then it looks like my stable is completed. :wink:

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #945 of 7,334
Hi - does the Reveal plugin (set to 100% wet) approximate the effect of the Roon plugin? I don’t use Roon but would like to know the best setting for Reveal.

Hi,

I think it should be the same. I am running 10.8 on my older iMac, so I haven't compared. I will eventually get in on my newer Macbook Pro when I need it. The linear phase on Roon gives a 3 second delay. By stock, it's set to minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back