Audeze LCD-2 R2 W/ Fazor with Fiio Q1 or Fulla Schiit?
Nov 23, 2015 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MonkCanatella

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a set of used LCD-2s and wanted to know if these would make them a plausible portable headphone. They'd be my amp/dac combo for at home use too. I would eventually buy a better combo for at home use, but I need a new pair of headphones, and I don't want to buy a pair if I can get the LCD2 w an affordable amp/dac.
I would be using it at home, on the train to work(CTA), and in my office.

Anyone use a Fulla or Q1 with these cans and would you say it's sufficient? I know there are better alternatives, but I want something cheap and portable

My source is an iPhone 6s

Thanks!

Also: Would it be worth it to buy a ~150 amp and just amp it straight from the phone, and wait on the DAC? Which is more important? 

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 13
Go for the amp, add the DAC later. The LCD-2's need 0.5W+ of power.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 13
  Hi,

I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a set of used LCD-2s and wanted to know if these would make them a plausible portable headphone. They'd be my amp/dac combo for at home use too. I would eventually buy a better combo for at home use, but I need a new pair of headphones, and I don't want to buy a pair if I can get the LCD2 w an affordable amp/dac.
I would be using it at home, on the train to work(CTA), and in my office.

Anyone use a Fulla or Q1 with these cans and would you say it's sufficient? I know there are better alternatives, but I want something cheap and portable

My source is an iPhone 6s

Thanks!

Also: Would it be worth it to buy a ~150 amp and just amp it straight from the phone, and wait on the DAC? Which is more important? 

LCD-2s are great headphones but they are a poor choice for portable use, they have sounds leaking in and out and they need a really powerful amp to bring them up to their potential. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 13

Well I just realized I wouldn't be able to get any sound outta my iPhone without a DAC so I guess I need a DAC before an amp.

Edit: Or rather, to use an AMP, I'd need a DAC to retrieve an analog signal from my iPhone

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 13
Why can't you get an analog out?

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 13
Oh my bad, I'm still trying to understand headphone amping w portable devices. I can just connect my phones 1/8 inch out to any amp right? I'm thinking of just using my iPhones onboard DAC and getting a Cayin C5. So my setup would be iPhone - Cayin c5 - LCD2.2f. And later getting a better dedicated DAC like the ODAC.

Think that's a plausible plan?

I was also thinking of going with the geek out 1000.

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 13
Yeah. The C5 would be stellar, its smooth character is great with the 2s! There's also the Fiio E12 for cheaper. I think there's also some mini-DACs for iPhones if you look around (HifiMeDIY?). The GO1000 idk much about, but I think I've heard good things.

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 13
No clue, I just know it's small. The ES9023 in it is a detailed chip... it should be better. I'm sure you can find more info easily :).

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 13
The 18 is a flagship chip, it needs clean power but it's amazing.

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 13
I'm talking about the architecture of the DAC... on the engineering side. Directed at Sam and his comment about the 9018 vs 9023. Either would be fine for you, I'm sure.

The C5 is a great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back