Audeze LCD-2 question
Nov 29, 2016 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Craig234

Head-Fier
I ordered b stock Audeze LCD-2. I put in the note to only send them if they have the 'fazer' feature after seeing  a note some might not. Is that a good idea to cancel over? I also saw some might be slightly older models - does it matter? Can they be upgraded?

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 20
While I'm at it, what sources work for this combo with the Audeze Deckard amp? Is there a reasonable way to use my Amazon digital library through a PC? What other options will sound good, short of buying a new 'no-loss' format player, or do I need to do that?

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 20
  I ordered b stock Audeze LCD-2. I put in the note to only send them if they have the 'fazer' feature after seeing  a note some might not. Is that a good idea to cancel over? I also saw some might be slightly older models - does it matter? Can they be upgraded?

some people,myself included wouldnt want the fazor...but thats a personal preference,shared by many.

I spoke to audeze a couple months ago asking if they could replace my drivers if they were to ever fail w/ a non fazor...they said "no" it would be fazor,and it would cost 350.00

While I'm at it, what sources work for this combo with the Audeze Deckard amp? Is there a reasonable way to use my Amazon digital library through a PC? What other options will sound good, short of buying a new 'no-loss' format player, or do I need to do that?

im not familair with Amazon digital library.Are the files actually stored on your hard drive,or are they on a cloud somewhere out there on the Internetz?

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 20
  I'd like to hear more about the fazor, to see if I should withdraw my requirement for it. I assumed it was an improvement.

The Amazon files are MP3 files on their cloud.

Of course this is just a couple members opinions,but you can read up on fazor vs. non fazor elsewhere as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution/5730#post_13043057

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 20
  Reviews on fazor seem mixed.

So, any info on what sources can be used with this setup?

zero experience with clouds

I do it the "old fashioned" way rip or d/l to my hard drive,and back it up on a portable HD for insurance.

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 20
Amazon's music service can be used very nicely thru a PC - you'll need some way to connect the LCD-2 to the PC though. Like a DAC/amp, or a soundcard with a headphone amp, or whatever. Can really get into a mountain of options if you want. Can you tell more about the PC?

As far as the quality of Amazon's music service - it's not awful, but it's not CD quality either. Certainly listenable, and IME not as bad as many other streaming services (to say nothing of, for example, satellite radio). I think the streaming is something like 128-192k range; the downloads I've grabbed from it (if you buy the song/album you can download as an mp3) are usually like ~200 kbit range (can check more specifics at home). Basically they're "good" by mp3 standards, but you're not getting into lossless FLAC or WMAL or ALAC rips from the CD. Still, for what it is, its not bad at all. :)

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 20
Honestly, you have to take some of these things with a grain of salt. People are talking about relatively minor differences. The difference between the Fazor and non-Fazor is subtle in comparison to having a LCD-2 and not having one. My suggestion? You purchased these awesome headphones. Spend some time listening to them and critiquing it for yourself. At the end of the day, it does not matter what other people's opinions are - if you enjoy it, then you enjoy it.

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 20
Windows 10 PC, and I got the Audeze Deckard DAC/AMP.

Just plug that into the PC (it has USB input), and go. Use whatever streaming, local files, etc you like. Pretty straight forward all-in-one solution you have right there. :)

Higher quality source material will probably be "better" but honestly I'd say just "go for it" - you'll learn where your tolerances are, what kind of quality is acceptable to you, etc; like saxophone said "spend some time listening to them and critiquing it for yourself."

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 20
  OK. I'll need to find some lossless to compare.

lossless doesnt really matter on a lot of stuff....I have 24/192 of pretty much the entire Ramones library and I cant tell much difference between that and a 320 mp3.

If the production of a song is good,that is when you will hear the difference....mostly in detail and sound stage,neither of which LCD-2s are super good at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back