Audeze LCD-2 or Meze 109 Pro
Apr 5, 2023 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Revelatio

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am rather new to the world of headphones - the last solid pair of headphones I purchased was a Denon D7000 back in 2010 but unfortunately is now kaput.

I recently bought a DAP to get started - a Shanling M6 Ultra - and I am thinking of getting a nice pair of headphones to get started again. I have narrowed down to the LCD-2 but the 109 Pro seems to be getting good reviews as well.

I listen to all genres, though mainly rock, metal, jazz, blues and EDM, not too much classical and rap though.

Would either of the headphones pair well with my DAP and be easy to drive? For sound signature, I like good solid bass but I believe I might be a little bit sensitive to too much treble.

Thank you.

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 6
Hey, the LCD-2 is a solid headphone but, to me, it feels a little... slow. If you're up for using some EQ, it's a good headphone, well loved.

The Meze 109 is going to be a little more open and airy sounding. It's also much more comfortable for long sessions and easier to drive.

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Apr 7, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 6
The LCD2's were the first hi-fi headphones I ever bought, back in 2012. I'm still using them daily for regular listening--they are reliable, and impressive. However, I would not use them for "serious" listening--they do show their age, and do not evince the nuance and bombast of newer offerings. They also require some power to drive them, as others have said--I would hesitate to use them with a DAP, you really need a dedicated head-amp.

My recommendation: if you are going to use them while doing something else, like reading or browsing or working on the computer, you'll find them perfectly suited, and they'll quickly become a beloved friend. If you want an immersive listening experience...I would counsel another path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back