Audeze LCD-2.2 wood cracking and fastener failure
Feb 27, 2017 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
I was working through the process of trying to replace the yoke and fasteners on my LCD-2.2s, when I noticed a crack in the wood ring that surrounds the driver I was trying to repair.  At that point, I decided it was best to send the whole headphone in for service, as it is still under warranty.  Upon making that decision, I decided it was best to reassemble the headphone.  When reinstalling the fasteners into the wood ring (to reattach the yoke), I noticed that the metal base that the yoke screw goes into began spinning within the wood ring.  

After speaking with Audeze on this, they quoted me at $350 for replacement of the wood ring!  I was incredibly surprised, as I've seen both folks receive free wood ring replacements, due to cracks.  Furthermore, I was following Audeze replacement guides so, I don't understand why exactly Audeze wants to charge me for following their own instructions.  

So, I want to ask if anyone here has experienced similar failures of the fasteners for the yokes, when replacing them.  I don't understand why Audeze would make repair so difficult and dangerous, when I was instructed to replace the yokes and fasteners, myself.

Looking forward to speaking.

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Anyone with any thoughts?

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 4
I recently dropped my LCD2s on the floor. By drop I mean my 2 year old knocked them off my desk after i walked away. I contacted Audeze and I too was told I would have to pay $350. They sent me an invoice for $377 and I'm a little shocked that for a single cracked rosewood ring it will cost $350? Damn. I'm tempted to repair them myself and use that $350 for another pair of headphones. I find it hard to believe that a single Rose wood ring costs this much even with an hour of labor to do the repair.

/edit so they just contacted me and informed me it is for two rings. They buy them in matching pairs and even if only one ring is cracked they replace both rings. I think that makes sense especially if the rings are not all identical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back