Audeze Deckard vs portable amp
Jan 8, 2016 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jprod

New Head-Fier
I currently own a oppo ha2 and the Audeze el8 open back and the oppo pm3. I listen to music through my iPhone and just bought a pono. I do also listen through my Mac.
Noob question- would an Audeze Deckard improve my listening experience appreciably over the oppo ha2 through my computer ?
Thanks

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm using an Audeze LCD-XC + Hifiman HM650 DAP + Cayin C5 portable amp. I auditioned the Deckard with my setup and it sounded very open, clean and transparent with good instrument separation. What I feel it lacks is grunt, if you listen to mainly vocals and soft jazz quartets maybe it'll shine. But it's just too polite and lacks punch and wallop. Its 4 watt max output doesn't seem to translate into discernable power too - my 20 ohm LCD-XC still requires high gain and at least 11 o'clock volume to sound decently loud, which doesn't seem impressive when compared to my 0.8 watt Cayin C5 portable amp which goes very loud at just 1/3 of max volume at high gain, and have better punch to boot. But that's just my opinion, give it a listen but I wouldnt expect it to sound much better than an Oppo HA-2.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 11
I have the Deckard with my HE-400i and absolutely love it. Dead silent and really gives planars the power they need. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the input. Hard to know which way to go. I have looked at the deckard and the woo wa6 as possibilities for a desktop amp. Hard to decide since I can't audition

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 11
No I didn't audition the Deckard. I have all solid state gear in my house and I wanted to try tubes. Also I read nothing but great reviews on the wa7. Thirdly it looks great next to my iMac. It's a beautiful piece. And lastly it's handmade in the USA.
Basically it checked all the boxes for me.

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 11
I think it's a great little DAC/Amp combo.  The sound is clear and the instruments are presented in a defined soundstage.  There no noise, it's perfectly quiet.  Seems pretty lively too.  I'm using it with LCD-X's and it's got plenty of drive for rock, blues, etc - just use the Hi gain.  I've got no real complaints other than, as has been said before, it can be a little "shouty," and peaky in the midrange sometimes.  That hasn't kept me from enjoying it a bit though.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back