Au revoir!!
Feb 20, 2006 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yotacowboy

100+ Head-Fier
Well, its only been a short time coming - only about a year of buying/trying/selling/buying - but i think I'm done; pure audio bliss!! my wallet will no longer be forced to bear the brunt of my audiophilic tendencies!! Wish me luck as I set in place a moratorium on any upgraditis induced spending, only music from now on!!!

The final tally (seriously!):

3rd Gen iPod line-out
DIY Cardas mini-RCA
Woo Audio 3, NOS Tungsol 5998 power, NOS RCA 6922's
Senn HD650's, DIY starquad/neutrik recabled

home.jpg

home2.jpg

Thanks for all the memories head-fiers! lol!

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 15
Doesn't that mean "till I return" or "until we meet again?"
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 15
One is never finished, I have told myself many times I am finished but we all actively seek perfection and I am now ready to blow a large amount of cash on a new setup
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 15
see, i've spent the last 7 years trying to "perfect" my stereo rig (that's not gonna ever stop... ha!) but the law of diminishing returns has bitten me hard with my headphone setup. This weekend I had the chance to listen critically to a roughly $130k rig (krell/clearaudio/JMLab Utopia) and found that even though it was absolutely amazing (and I'm sure there's better...), I found myself preferring my "modest" headphone rig as a true "reference" in terms of neutrality and coherence across any music style, (and more importantly) regardless of recording quality. That says to me I've found my limit!

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 15
IM pretty sure thats a 4th gen iPod. I see a click wheel, which is 4th gen and up. Could be wrong though...

Oh and which amp is pictured? I think you listed more than one... i read it fast though, nice pics.

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 15
Yeah, that's a 4G.

BUT what about the RedWine iMod (or whatever)? Litz-braided silver interconnects?? The possibly-upcoming HD700, complete with cupholders?!?

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 15
yeah, sorry, typo.. its a 4th gen (till the 7th gen comes out, lol!!), and not my *only* source... just what i mainly use with my headphone rig.

i'm definitely not leaving... its just that i think i've found my "place", and wow, its nice...

on to the music!!!!

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 15
A Beyerdynamic DT 880 would be a nice complement to the HD 650 - giving you both a forward and a laidback listen, depending on mood.

A solid-state amp like the Gilmore Lite might be a good way to brighten up those Senns.

A PCDP or CDP with optical out + DAC would be a good source upgrade. Or maybe a new iPod.

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
A Beyerdynamic DT 880 would be a nice complement to the HD 650 - giving you both a forward and a laidback listen, depending on mood.

A solid-state amp like the Gilmore Lite might be a good way to brighten up those Senns.

A PCDP or CDP with optical out + DAC would be a good source upgrade. Or maybe a new iPod.

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

well, i never said the woo was the *only* amp I own, but my gilmore lite just might go up for sale soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back