Attn: Windows Phone users, File Conversion Issue.
Aug 29, 2012 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

J.Pocalypse

1000+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to bring this to peoples attention if it hadn't crossed their computer screen already.

When I first got my Lumia 900, I was blown away by just about everything, except for the app selection and what I thought was just horrid SQ from the headphone jack. Well, today, as I was trying to find out why my Zune player background image wasn't updating along with the live tile ( which I have fixed, BTW ), I found something in the settings that I was a bit taken back by. If you open the Zune software on your computer and click on "settings" in the upper right, then click "phone" in the upper left, as you go down the lower menu, you'll come across "conversion settings". I'd never noticed this before. After you click that, you'll see to the right in the main windows area "Only convert media files that aren't supported by this device" and "When a song exceeds standard quality as defined below, convert it to device quality when syncing with my device". Below that, you'll see "Standard Quality" and "Phone Quality" with some drop down menus by each. By default, the "standard" is set to 320KB/s and the "phone" is set to 192KB/s. THERE! There's the culprit! Change the "phone" quality to it's highest option of 320, right now. Read: immediately.

So, after deleting every song from my Lumia and resyncing my few MP3s I have back to the phone with out the on-the-fly conversion option, there is a auditory improvement.The horn on Morphine's song "Night" had more depth and body this time around. I couldn't test out many more songs as it's about my bed time. I'm rather happy I found this. 

Hope this helps a few people. Or, perhaps I'm just late to the party..

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 3
Nice post. I sent a link to it to someone I know with a Lumia 900. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm the guy, and I changed this setting the first time i hooked my Lumia 900 up to my comp. I came from the Zune mp3 players, so I had known what to look for. Good looking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back