Attn Weezer fans-- do you know about The Feelies?
Apr 24, 2002 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Before there was Weezer, there was the Feelies, and it was GOOD.

The Feelies released a seminal indie rock record with their first release "Crazy Rythms". Check out the cover of Crazy rythms and you'll see where Weezer got some ideas. This is weird and alien much like early REM. They labored long and hard making "Crazy Rythms". If you are young, you'd easily recognize the Feelies as what they are-- a proto emo band. Ahead of their time.

If you like REM's first 2 records, you will not be put off by "Crazy Rythms". It's got the same basic feel and appeal.

I got to see the Feelies live in the late 80s (they were a reknowned live band), near the end of their run, and every time the band played songs off the first record "Crazy Rythms" it's like they suddenly came to life. Their later material was OK but sorta Velvet-Underground lite, but the first record is creepy, eerie, weird, yet endearing. A terrific headphone album.

Check it out if you dig Weezer.

markl

Apr 24, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 6
I am old enough to have attended The Feelies' first gigs at the Mudd Club, and followed their career right through. In fact I met Glenn Mercer and Bill Million a few times through their association with the art center called The Kitchen (worked there). In 1979 I made my own Feelies T-shirts, just for myself and my friends. I was wearing one, one day, and ran into Glenn Mercer. I said "Please don't be upset about the knock-off shirts, I've only made 10 of them for myself and friends." He replied "Don't worry, do I look paranoid". The joke, of course, was that, in general, he was the poster boy for nervous anxiety. But I guess he didn't see himself that way.

I see the connection to Weezer, although I think The Feelies were unique. It's gratifying to see them recognized. Thanks for that.

DGI (also not a great fan of their late period)

Apr 24, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 6
OK, so I've proved I'm blonde-haired and blue-eyed. Thanks masked man/woman for moving this thread to it's appropriate home.

mulciber,
Thanks so much for your input. I have a deep sentimental attachment to the Feelies. It was nice to hear some inside "skinny".

markl

Apr 24, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 6
B000002GJA.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

look familiar?

Apr 25, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 6
I remember reading on Weezer's website that they hadn't even heard of the Feelies or realize that they had swiped their album cover idea, which is an odd coincidence considering the similarities in sound. Also highly recommended are the Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight and anything by Big Star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back