Attn:Livewires owners..Need Help!
Jan 11, 2008 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jboji

New Head-Fier
I am considering getting a pair of livewires but need some help with a few questions. I have done some searching on the this forum and found that the livewires are very sensitive IEMs. I will be playing driving these phones through my Iphone with most of the my songs being ripped at 192 or 256 bit rate and will not be using an amp at all. Will the livewires still sound great with this set up?

Also I currently own a pair of IM716s and would like an IEM with a little more bass. Will the livewires meet my needs? Would also like to know what IEM the livewires sound similar to. Thanks everyone for your help! Hope to be a livewire owner soon.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 10
Hey, I ordered but haven't received my livewires yet, but I'll give you my impressions on them asap as I've had experience with tons of IEMs before.

As for the other concerns, I really don't think the sensitivity of the livewires will be a big problem when used with an iPod or iPhone with no amp. At 192-256 kb/s, any IEM will sound fine if not great. You may get slight improvements with higher bit rate, but that in no way means the livewires will not sound good at 192-256k.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I ordered but haven't received my livewires yet, but I'll give you my impressions on them asap as I've had experience with tons of IEMs before.

As for the other concerns, I really don't think the sensitivity of the livewires will be a big problem when used with an iPod or iPhone with no amp. At 192-256 kb/s, any IEM will sound fine if not great. You may get slight improvements with higher bit rate, but that in no way means the livewires will not sound good at 192-256k.

You might find you get some hiss, depending on the quality of the amp in your source (i get a bit with my PCDP).

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 10
As Rav said, you will probably get some hiss which is only noticeable when music is not playing, but this is due to the low impedance of the livewires and has nothing to do with the quality of your files.

For my iPod, the majority of my files are ~192 kbps VBR or CBR and it sounds great.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 10
The LWires hiss with Apple products is the downside to the upside of sounding very good without an amp. My Etys mostly collect dust because of this. And yes you'll get more bass. Touch -> LWires user here.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LWires hiss with Apple products is the downside to the upside of sounding very good without an amp. My Etys mostly collect dust because of this. And yes you'll get more bass. Touch -> LWires user here.

Its only when music is not playing thought, right? I'm thinking of getting an impednce adaptor.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

The LWires hiss with Apple products is the downside to the upside of sounding very good without an amp.

no hiss here with my 5.5 gen + livewires. From what I understand, the hiss is from the older gens, like the 3's and 4's.

Although I don't use the headphone out on my ipod, I just checked for hissing. I dont' get any.

All of my listening is done through an amp. Amps really make the livewires come alive!

Livewires are great phones. Surprisingly so considering the price.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no hiss here with my 5.5 gen + livewires. From what I understand, the hiss is from the older gens, like the 3's and 4's.

Although I don't use the headphone out on my ipod, I just checked for hissing. I dont' get any.

All of my listening is done through an amp. Amps really make the livewires come alive!

Livewires are great phones. Surprisingly so considering the price.

Thanks for the info.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 10
I am using them on my 80gb Ipod.

I get a slight hiss when plugged in with no music, this disappears though when you hit play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back