ATTN Gamers (car racing specifically): I gots a question.
Nov 24, 2011 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

samsquanch

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I'm not a hardcore gamer, I own a ps3 and a grand total of 4 games, it's just not something that gets a lot of my attention, but I do really like racing games.  I used to be really into Grand Turismo 3 back in the day, and now I play Need For Speed Shift 2.

Now to the heart of the question, I find myself getting extremely frustrated with steering using an analog stick, and I've been told that getting a steering wheel controller is awesome to have for racing games, but I really don't want a steering wheel laying around my room, I don't need to add to the nerd electronics collection.  The thing is though, if it really does make a world of difference then it might be something I actually purchase in the near future. 

So what are your thoughts?  Are they worth it?  Is any brand better than any other (one person recommended Logitech), any particular models worth checking out / avoiding?

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 2
Depends on what you're playing. Hardcore racing sims (stuff like Grand Prix Legends or Richard Burns Rally; anything from SimBin likely qualifies as well, and so would iRacing) would be damn near unplayable without a wheel because they demand finesse of not only your steering, but the pedals. Another factor, of course, is immersion. It wouldn't help to have the sensation of driving a car if you're holding a gamepad in your hands, would it?

Arcade-style racers, on the other hand, should feel alright with standard gamepads, and in the case of a few titles (Burnout), having a wheel would actually feel sort of wrong.

The popular wheels at the moment are the Logitech G25, G27, and Fanatec's various offerings (one of which works on the X360 in addition to PC and PS3, which is a rather unique feature). They do get expensive, though, especially the Fanatec stuff when you factor in those Clubsport pedals...(and don't get me started on TSW or ECCI gear, the latter of which could buy you a flagship Stax setup! Or a car!)

Mounting is a concern, though, especially if you're playing on a console that presumably isn't sitting anywhere near a desk...my next-door neighbor improvised by clamping his wheel to a board that was wide enough that it rested on his couch's arm rests, and presumably heavy enough to anchor the wheel down when those force-feedback effects were kicking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back