ATTN: all DT880 owners!!
Dec 16, 2005 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Penguin Growl

New Head-Fier
What kind of amp and source are you using, and how does it sound?

Basically, I have my mind set on purchasing the DT880's, along with a new DAC and amp. Because of the neutrality of the DT880's, however, I know it is essential to get the right upstream components for that great sound I know the DT880's have to offer.

So what are your guys' experiences? I'd also be interested to hear from those who have heard the DT880's with both solid state and tube amps. I've heard the DT880 should be paired with a warm, bassy amp to make them really sing. Are there any amps like this (solid state or tube) in the $400 range?

And has anyone heard the DT880's with the Micro stack?

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 59
I use a variety of different stuff, including some mid-fi gear. Unlike most, I don't feel the DT880 is all that hard to drive, or any more sensitive to gear used than any other high impedance headphone on the market. They are slightly bright, so a slightly dark amp/source will do them more justice. Other than that, take yer pick of the numerous stuff on the market... as always, a better quality amp/source will give you better sound.

P.S. I wouldn't recommend a bassy amp -- the DT880 has very strong and present bass, and unlike most cans it isn't rolled off in the lowest registers. A bassy amp would sound pretty ugly with them, IMO. If you're looking for a lot of thump or heaviness in the lower frequencies though, you're looking at the wrong headphone.

Just felt the need to offset some of this "hard to drive monsters" reputation the DT880 has picked up. IMO it is as silly as all the controversy surrounding HD580/600 and the "veil" business.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 59
I drive mine with a Gilmore Lite and have no complaints. You have to turn the volume knob WAY up with the DT880 (somewhere between the 1:00 and 3:00 positions in my experience), but the Lite doesn't mind that, and the sound is excellent.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 59
Using a top heavy source/amp would probably not be a great idea but as long as the treble is smooth then the peak in the Beyer won't stand out. The HeadAmp Lite for instance I had before is not bass heavy but its treble is very smooth with great clarity that meshed with the Beyer 880 very well.

Like fewtch said the Beyer 880 don't have much of a bass hump but they do extend down real low so its not really a concern as much as the smooth top end. The Beyer 880 is ruthlessly honest, if your source or amp are grainy or bright, it'll get to your ear. Forgiving is not a trait of this headphone. But that's part of what makes it so involving, presuming the music is involving to begin with
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Just felt the need to offset some of this "hard to drive monsters" reputation the DT880 has picked up. IMO it is as silly as all the controversy surrounding HD580/600 and the "veil" business.

It is indeed a power hungry headphone, and needs power to be driven properly....not the same case as the K-1000 but it is not a very easy going, or an efficient heapdhone, that could be driven out of a protable, in all the amps I tried it, I needed to crank them up a good portion of the pot....

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbunniii
You have to turn the volume knob WAY up with the DT880 (somewhere between the 1:00 and 3:00 positions in my experience)

I hope that either you have a weak source or brother you're doing some serious damage to your ears
basshead.gif
With the Beyer 880/HeadAmp Lite combo I never went past 10 o'clock but that's with a full sized source with 2.2V output. I set my volume to 70dB@1" which when coupled probably hits 80dB which is the limit of volume before hearing loss kicks in.

Heck with the Senn 650 and my Reference running at UNITY gain, I never go past 11 o'clock
rolleyes.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
It is indeed a power hungry headphone, and needs power to be driven properly....not the same case as the K-1000 but it is not a very easy going, or an efficient heapdhone, that could be driven out of a protable, in all the amps I tried it, I needed to crank them up a good portion of the pot....

Compared to low impedance cans, true. Compared to other high impedance cans I've heard though, they are nothing unusual. Most people seem to suggest that they're something really different and you need a more powerful than usual amp for them -- which IMO is not the case.

I think some are trying to get more bass thump out of them, and if you want more thump then maybe another heaphone would be a better idea than spending big on an amp, recabling, etc. trying to change their sonic signature.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 59
Beyer's site doesn't specify what the IEC is but its safe to say its either dB@1mW or dB@1V.

If @1mW then brought up to the Senn spec of 1V its:

Senn 650 103dB@1V
Beyer 880 102dB@1V

Course if its @1V then it'll take a whopping 16mW to reach 102dB or 2V... less than unity gain in my case. To be fair at 102dB you'll be deaf in no time
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 59
they're hard to drive by portable devices.

coming out of a lowly sblive, I leave the master volume at 30%. At 50, I feel like i'm going to go deaf.

They're no more insensitive than my K271S. Both are harder to drive than HD600s, but if you're only talking volume, I don't find the HD600s hard to drive at all, even out of an ipod. Once you actually get your hands on these cans, you realize... oh... what's the big deal?

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
I hope that either you have a weak source or brother you're doing some serious damage to your ears
basshead.gif
With the Beyer 880/HeadAmp Lite combo I never went past 10 o'clock but that's with a full sized source with 2.2V output. I set my volume to 70dB@1" which when coupled probably hits 80dB which is the limit of volume before hearing loss kicks in.

Heck with the Senn 650 and my Reference running at UNITY gain, I never go past 11 o'clock
rolleyes.gif

Hm yeah, I guess I should point out that my I am using a sound card (E-Mu 1212m) as my source. I don't know if that puts out a lower signal than say a CD player, or what.

But using the same source, I usually listen to Grados at around 9:00 to 10:00, Senns at around 11:00 to 12:00, and Beyers at 1:00 or higher. This gives me a comfortable listening level -- not quiet, but not overly loud, either. Certainly not a volume that would cause discomfort or hearing damage.

Another variable is that the DT-880 is available in several different impedances. Mine is the 250 ohm version.

Anyway, volume control settings aside, I find the Gilmore Lite does a nice job with the DT-880. The sound is clean and detailed, with a good quick tight bass, and a slight leaning toward the bright side of things, but just enough to make things sparkle, never harsh.

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 59
NAD C542, going to an EarMax Pro. Love it, have not wished for anything else since. I had a Meier Corda HA-2 before that. It was not at all bad, but I felt the mids were missing something; and, comparing it to the EMP, the HA-2 has a slight hump in the lower mids. (I read some review somewhere here that commented that the HA-2 MkII fixed this, but I've not heard this amp.)

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 59
In the $400 range the M³ pairs very well with the 880s. It is bettered by the Dynahi, but at a much higher price (unless you DIY).

I built a M³, Dynalo and Dynahi and listened to all using my 880s.

The M³ was more similar to the Dynahi than the Dynalo.

I found the Dynalo very detailed and somewhat too bright and lacking bass, compared to the M³ which was a little warmer and had plenty of bass and slam. The Dynahi restored the bass that the Dynalo lacked, was as detailed as the Dynalo but not overly bright (actually neutral sounding but in a very good way!)

I think the M³ could be a little brighter if you want it to be. Mine uses the OPA 627 running at 32volts. Putting in OPA637s, 8620s or another op amp would make it a bit brighter.

Pete

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 59
I should revise my previous statement... IMO any mid-fi source/amp that sounds good with DT880s is actually hi-fi, no matter what the cost or brand. These cans basically convey exactly what's delivered to them with no sugar coating. Thin recordings sound thin, good recordings sound good, masterful recordings sound masterful.

I picked up a new transportable source recently and couldn't be sure if I liked it listening with AKG K501s... the DT880 cleared that up in about 30 seconds (unworthy for regular listening, sad to say).

To me, the DT880 is both analytical *and* involving... a holy grail of sorts, if you will. Hate to come out with these gushy statements, but that's how I feel about them.

Anyway, they will convey the qualities of whatever amp you pair them with, so I'd choose based on the amp rather than the headphones. If tubes are what you like, they will sound tubey... if solid state, they will sound like solid state. If the slight brightness ends up being too much, you may be a Senn guy
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back