Attenuating input signal.
Aug 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

balderon

1000+ Head-Fier
I have an amplifier with a stepped attenuator.  The gain of the amp is little too high and the comfortable listening level is between the 3rd and 4th detents. I don't want to change the amplifier gain and unfortunately I don't have the correct resistors on hand to make a proper voltage divider. The attenuator is 100k and the comfortable listening levels are mid-scale afterI inserted a 100k resistor in series with the input signal. I didn't hear any hum or other artifacts when I changed the input impedance to 200k.

Can anyone enlighten me on any problems of increasing the input impedance?

TIA

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 3

Many use RCA inline attenuators,6-12-20 dbs with no problems at all,and many prefer them.

BUT others maintain that they affect the Dynamics,on one of my amp inputs I use a pair 12db attenuators and can detect NO difference in SQ at all whilst gaining a great deal more volume control.

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 3
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509420/fs-harrison-labs-attenuators-6-db-12-db

I'm not saying these will work for you. I've never tried something like this. Just noticed them after reading this thread. Do your own research to see if they will work for you.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back