Attention XP-7 Owners
Jul 6, 2008 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

WaxMan

100+ Head-Fier
Just got an XP-7, and I was wondering about the volume level everyone uses for listening. What is safe, and what is unsafe? I nudge up the volume pot about an inch, but sometimes I have the urge to turn it up even more. I use a pair of HD600's. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 5
Congrats. I think the XP-7 is one of Ray's finest, purest offerings to this day. Did you get the separate power supply? It is an amp that loosens up over time and with some warm-up, almost like a tube amp. I still lug mine around as portable. I typically listen slightly passed your point of reference, but it depends on the source. It should make a good pair with your HD 600's.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks bigeat. I actually got it used from a great guy here on headfi, loftprojection. I do not have the power supply, just running it on the batteries. I was listening to 'The Blues And The Abstract Truth' the other day when I first got the amp, it sounded so good it was actually stunning. I was sitting in my lazy boy just mesmerized and paralyzed at the same time. That amp just stoned me to my soul!

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks bigeat. I actually got it used from a great guy here on headfi, loftprojection. I do not have the power supply, just running it on the batteries. I was listening to 'The Blues And The Abstract Truth' the other day when I first got the amp, it sounded so good it was actually stunning. I was sitting in my lazy boy just mesmerized and paralyzed at the same time. That amp just stoned me to my soul!

I have a lot of amps, portable and otherwise. It's to this day, one of my favorites. If you take a notion, I might reccommend the power supply. Although, I have to say, one of the reasons I like the amp best is the old school 9V capability. Call Ray and ask him about the power supply. He really has a soft spot for the XP-7. Again, congrats.

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 5
I have the XP-7 + power supply combo now for a couple of days and its defo a really nice amp. Dont think I'll be having the nasty urge of upgrading for a while.....at least not on the amp department
wink.gif

The 'safe' amount of volume depends on the headphones (and source) I think? I can imagine that you have some more room on the knob with your high impedance HD600's than I have with my low impedance HFI-780's.

I listen at below 25% with 780's btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back