Attention: People of Earth
Dec 26, 2009 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
It's time to join the master race.
bilavideo-albums-sombreros-picture4348-snapshot-20091226-1.jpg

Resistance is futile!
bilavideo-albums-sombreros-picture4345-snapshot-20091226.jpg

These sombreros work, even if they look hideous.
bilavideo-albums-sombreros-picture4340-snapshot-20091225-7.jpg

You have no choice.
bilavideo-albums-sombreros-picture4346-snapshot-20091226-2.jpg

Do it! Do it now!
bilavideo-albums-sombreros-picture4347-snapshot-20091226-4.jpg

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 24
Bigger pads look stupid, and these take the cake. I feel like that grinning guy in the "worst headphone ever" pic, the one with the Magneto headset. But good garsh, I can't say no to the sound. Grado meets Sennheiser meets, well, me.

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 24
With headphone mods that look like that, resistance will be easy.
eek.gif

So what's the improvement in sound?

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 24
The doughnuts, for all that is good and right about them, tend to choke off the HF. All that sound gets compressed into a relatively small space. Grado's jumbo bowls try to fix this by creating "a concert hall for the ear," but it's basically a widening of the aperture and a distancing of the ear from the driver. But one can go too far with that, and there's a reasonable debate about whether that "concert hall for the ear" reaches a point of overkill, especially when people are busy washing and crushing these cushions as much as possible to "fix" the sound signature.

These "sombreros" take the cushion wide. In so doing, they're supposed to allow a wider dispersion, so the HF comes out to play - and in that respect, they seem to work well. The HF is clearer and less muffled. On the other hand, where the doughnuts balance the ears precariously onto a fairly tight little circle, these spread out wide. They can't make bass appear out of thin air, but I've noticed substantially better bass with them. I think it's partly because I'm not pushing the ear too far away. I think it's also because the cushions are creating a kind of baffle. The bass is definitely more interactive.

I challenge others to try it and see if they can validate any changes I am perceiving. I'd like to know if I'm just having a Christmas-induced placebo experience or whether there's something to this.

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I challenge others to try it and see if they can validate any changes I am perceiving. I'd like to know if I'm just having a Christmas-induced placebo experience or whether there's something to this.

A whiskey old-fashioned-related placebo...
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Ha, I was thinking the same thing.
tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you just cut up a kitchen sponge or something like that?

Of course not. I cut up a BIG sponge, the kind you wash the car with, the kind they sell at Home Depot. I wouldn't wear a kitchen sponge. That would just be wrong.
beyersmile.png

Quote:

And this ladies and gentleman is what happens when someone doesnt grow up.

People who spend thousands of dollars on headphones are in no position to lecture anyone else on how to "grow up." Personally, I've been where you would send me and I'm here to say, neither of us are missing much.

Quote:

Now, there's an idea . . . .

But seriously, the wider pad really tickles the ears more. I'm getting a lot more kinesthetic action. The bass isn't just pumping into the ear canal. My lobes are having a party. Just listening to Cantaloupe Island, with all its jazzy playfulness, at a relatively low level, my lobes have been wiggling back and forth like palm trees on a windy day. U2's "Red Light," again at a low level, is engaging without having to shout. It isn't just the drums; it's the fingerwork of the bass. The Beatles' "Mr. Kite" doesn't just engage me with the kick drum. The high hat has my ears fluttering. John Lennon's lyrics are like breath on the back of my neck. "Two of Us" from the Beatles' Anthology is fun and so natural, not just from the organic beat established by foot taps, back boards and drums but because of the faint feedback in the mic.

If this is a placebo, pass the sugar pills around. Soul Sauce/Guachi Guara never sounded so textured. Usually, to have this kind of sensory stimulation, you need more than sugar pills. I consider it par for the course that certain listeners, and certain music, define bass in the most primal of terms. I like this wider sense of the term, incorporating a kinesthetic percussiveness that reaches out and grabs you at more than one end of the frequency spectrum. Even on Bread's "Everything I Own," the plucking of acoustic guitar - before the introduction of that soft-rock bass - has a pulse to it, one capable of jiggling the ears. I think the larger pad helps transfer some of that energy so it isn't just sonic liquid; it has a percussive texture to it and, to quote Ronald McDonald, my lobes are "lovin' it."

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 24
I have the sudden urge to buy RS1's and do the same mod.
biggrin.gif
*Eyes glazed over* Resistance is futile!

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course not. I cut up a BIG sponge, the kind you wash the car with, the kind they sell at Home Depot. I wouldn't wear a kitchen sponge. That would just be wrong.
beyersmile.png

Sham...wow?

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by monoblocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sham...wow?

For a cleaner sound.

It wipes out the competition.

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #14 of 24
What do you think of GS pads? If you cut the edge of them, wouldnt you get the same effect? Of course, they do cost like USD 45, but just curious, cos never got it there myself, when I had GS1000.

Man, talking about look, however if your "cheap" solution bring you more closer to the sonic bliss, who cares
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back